Huskers Add Former UCF Starting Safety Tre Neal As Grad Transfer

27 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Heupel led Missouri-friggen Missouri to 14th in passing offense, scoring offense, and 4th in passing efficiency.  He's taking over a team that usually has the most talent in their conference. Let's put this in perspective: Missouri was never in the top 50 in any offensive category in 2016.  I feel like people don't realize what heupel did as an offensive coordinator.

Tremendous job as offensive coordinator. Those total numbers don't put into perspective the "rough" start they had. SC, Purdue, Auburn were their worst games. Once that schedule opened up, they were as good as any offense, especially in the passing game.

The question is in transferring from an offensive coordinator to head coach. Many people spoke highly of Frost's acumen to become a head coach while an offensive coordinator. As I put it several years ago here, "he speaks like a head coach". Frost is a good offensive coordinator that was made to be a head coach. Heupel may just be a great offensive coordinator. But, yes, he's definitely underestimated. 

• Plus1 2

Just now, brophog said:

Tremendous job as offensive coordinator. Those total numbers don't put into perspective the "rough" start they had. SC, Purdue, Auburn were their worst games. Once that schedule opened up, they were as good as any offense, especially in the passing game.

The question is in transferring from an offensive coordinator to head coach. Many people spoke highly of Frost's acumen to become a head coach while an offensive coordinator. As I put it several years ago here, "he speaks like a head coach". Frost is a good offensive coordinator that was made to be a head coach. Heupel may just be a great offensive coordinator. But, yes, he's definitely underestimated. 

I'm not saying heupel will be a great head coach but that offensive turnaround compared to the previous years is pretty impressive (even though I HATE missouri).  I just think people are underestimating the talent ucf has compared to the rest of the conference!  

2 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

I just feel they have more talent than the rest of the conference, they should still be able to win it.

There is a lot of great talent in that conference, and UCF has some significant losses of their own. Milton has become a good downfield passer, he'll adapt to Heupel's system and they'll be fine there. The defensive losses are a big deal, especially with the offenses they face.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, brophog said:

There is a lot of great talent in that conference, and UCF has some significant losses of their own. Milton has become a good downfield passer, he'll adapt to Heupel's system and they'll be fine there. The defensive losses are a big deal, especially with the offenses they face.

Memphis loses Anthony miller (one of the best wrs in the nation), Ferguson, their qb, and their best lineman.

USF loses Flowers (one of the best dual threat qbs in the nation), Johnson and rice.

Houston could be interesting with that dline but still unproven offensively. 

13 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Heupel was the OC.  I never knew the OC had control of the defense??  Anyone that looks at things objectively would know that's a pretty impressive turnaround.  I'm not saying UCF will go undefeated but they should win the conference (more talent than the other teams in the conference) 

I totally get what you are saying, and will admit they ended strong.  But, take a look at who the big points came against.  3 of the SEC teams were either about to lose a coach, or had already.  It all counts, but think about our 4-8 season and how it looked like the Huskers gave up and allowed >50 points to freaking Iowa and Minnesota.

And, it's a pretty big leap to go from coordinator to HC.  (Bo won a natty as DC, remember?).  He may very well do well, but I have my doubts that he's anywhere near as good as Frost.  Could be a tad biased, though.

One thing i consider when thinking about who might have success in the future, is to look at how teams fared after a coach left.  Look at Oregon after Frost left.  Look at OU after JH got let go.  One went into the crapper, and one went to the playoffs.  UCF - winless to 13-0.  The sample size is pretty small for me to put too much stock into what I'm saying, but it's not nothing either.

And, I kind of get a kick out of the more talent comment here, only because we keep saying that we out recruit our division foes every year, and still can't manage to beat 1/2 of them some years.

Bottom line, the jury is still out on Heuple. As it is for Frost at NU. Both books are still being written.

• Plus1 3

16 minutes ago, brophog said:

Honestly, they may still have all the talent in the world, but they lost a ton of leadership.  And that may be key to his success - if he can foster the kind of leadership needed for a team to be successful.

Just now, Dilly Dilly said:

I totally get what you are saying, and will admit they ended strong.  But, take a look at who the big points came against.  3 of the SEC teams were either about to lose a coach, or had already.  It all counts, but think about our 4-8 season and how it looked like the Huskers gave up and allowed >50 points to freaking Iowa and Minnesota.

And, it's a pretty big leap to go from coordinator to HC.  (Bo won a natty as DC, remember?).  He may very well do well, but I have my doubts that he's anywhere near as good as Frost.  Could be a tad biased, though.

One thing i consider when thinking about who might have success in the future, is to look at how teams fared after a coach left.  Look at Oregon after Frost left.  Look at OU after JH got let go.  One went into the crapper, and one went to the playoffs.  UCF - winless to 13-0.  The sample size is pretty small for me to put too much stock into what I'm saying, but it's not nothing either.

And, I kind of get a kick out of the more talent comment here, only because we keep saying that we out recruit our division foes every year, and still can't manage to beat 1/2 of them some years.

Bottom line, the jury is still out on Heuple. As it is for Frost at NU. Both books are still being written.

I understand and agree with what you're saying but that conference isn't good.  In CFN rankings ucf is 45, the next team is usf at 65.  Conference isn't as impressive this year.

14 hours ago, Dagerow said:

I have mixed feelings on this one.  On one hand, it’s a huge pick up in a position of need.  On the other, we are taking him from UCF.  If UCF wasn’t happy about it (and I have no knowledge either way), then it seems off.

What in God’s name are you talking about 

• Plus1 6
12 hours ago, Dagerow said:

I guess I should clarify.  If he was planning to transfer already, and later decided on NU, after considering other schools, that’s not to bad.  They were going to lose him anyway.  However, if he left with the sole intention to go to NU, I don’t like it.  I don’t think, except under very limited circumstances, that a coach should be able to pull players he used to coach.  I think there should be rules on it.

I already have a headache and you’re really pissing it off.

• Plus1 5

11 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Good year to break in a new HC then, eh?  It will be fun to watch either way.  That conference was fun to keep an eye on last year.

That conference had a lot of talent last year!  Flowers (even tho he wasnt that great on my fantasy team), Miller, Griffin, Hughes, Sutton,  aren't.  I'm starting my research for my college fantasy draft so I'm trying to keep track of every teams losses/transfers/returning players 

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I suppose I shouldn't be mean or care but I think UCF fans are in for a rude awakening this year. I don't think going from Frost to Heupel will be a smooth transition. Their offenses have some things in common but I just find it hard to believe he holds a candle to Frost in any aspect of coaching. I think they'll win 8 games or so.

Milton lived really dangerously last season and miraculously ended up with only 9 INTs.  I think that's going to catch up with him this year.  Just a hunch.

• Plus1 1