Huskers Add Former UCF Starting Safety Tre Neal As Grad Transfer

1 hour ago, huKSer said:

To further derail the thread - 

Who was the last coach to use Nebraska as a stepping stone?

Every coach in my life time has either retired or fired.

Yost? Steihm? Bible? Are the only three off the top of my head that left Nebraska on their own to go to another school. Maybe the coach of the 1941 Rose Bowl team?

If Pelini hadn't gotten fired, I believe NU as stepping stone was exactly what he was hoping for.

Have I now derailed it further. ;)

4 hours ago, BigRedN said:

In my mind, UCF was in a place TCU was at years back.  They are both in locations that are hotbeds and if they could ever get a coach to stay around the potential was great.  Now TCU is really a staple and model of a solid program being recognized by getting added to the Big XII.

This is exactly it. Until UCF can achieve all that a school at this level can, they're at understandable risk of losing high quality coaches. At the moment, and for the foreseeable future, they are barred from that by the powers that decide who can play for a championship.

I believe Frost would have stayed for some time had Nebraska not opened, but I don't know that. He's highly competitive, as most good coaches are, and the roadblocks imposed on such an institution are annoying if you want to be considered the best.

On 7/24/2018 at 7:39 AM, BigRedBuster said:

This is why we will win more than the predicted 6 games this year. We didn't hire a new coach. We hired an intact staff. There is no need for the HC to hire a staff, then train them. The entire staff immediately assessed the Huskers' weaknesses and quickly reacted. Fifty-one new players and counting will have a big impact. Frost is not MR or Cally. He is not willing to accept a transition year with a losing record. It is morning in Nebraska. 

• Plus1 3

On July 21, 2018 at 11:43 AM, The Dude said:

Milton lived really dangerously last season and miraculously ended up with only 9 INTs.  I think that's going to catch up with him this year.  Just a hunch.

This was a team of destiny last year, they found ways to win in multiple facets. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's good for a team, but it's not very repeatable. Teams like this often have a step back year when the momentum has subsided.

I'm cheering for them, but if I were asked for a prediction I'd agree they lose a few that may have been wins a year ago.

On 7/28/2018 at 4:49 AM, brophog said:

This was a team of destiny last year, they found ways to win in multiple facets. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's good for a team, but it's not very repeatable. Teams like this often have a step back year when the momentum has subsided.

I'm cheering for them, but if I were asked for a prediction I'd agree they lose a few that may have been wins a year ago.

I think they'll lose 4+. Not only is it hard to repeat, they have new coaches, and since they had good coaches before, they're going to question the new coaches more. I'm sure quite a bit of that happened when Pelini was fired.

Nebraska is in an opposite situation. They sucked last year so they're going to eat up anything the new, good coaches tell them.

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I think they'll lose 4+. Not only is it hard to repeat, they have new coaches, and since they had good coaches before, they're going to question the new coaches more. I'm sure quite a bit of that happened when Pelini was fired.

Nebraska is in an opposite situation. They sucked last year so they're going to eat up anything the new, good coaches tell them.

Nice post -  you must know somebody that plays team sports at a high level ;)

• 3 months later...