Riley to Bookie: “If you were my son, I’d tell you to go to Oklahoma,’”

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Frost brought his whole staff yes. But a staff of winners. Riley brought a staff of fellow losers. 

Callahan just got fired

riley career was on downward trajectory- glory years of Rogers bros was a few years removed. Look at his 4 year record before NU

pelini was only guy with upward trending career at the time of hire 

I believe a couple of the coaches he hired at UCF and brought here were already coaches at UCF so I wouldn't classify them as "buddies".  They might be now but I don't think they and Frost had  a previous relationship.  Given what they accomplished at UCF they are immune from the skeptical look of "buddy hire" anyhow.

This discussion is kind of silly.

Nobody would give a s#!t if our new coach brought all of his buddies, even if it wasn't Frost, if his team had just gone undefeated the previous season in Div. I football. If you're able to do what UCF did, you can bring the coaches you want. UF was stupid to tell Frost he couldn't do that.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I believe a couple of the coaches he hired at UCF and brought here were already coaches at UCF so I wouldn't classify them as "buddies".  They might be now but I don't think they and Frost had  a previous relationship.  Given what they accomplished at UCF they are immune from the skeptical look of "buddy hire" anyhow.

It's important to remember that these same assistants would've been viewed as a poor hire 4 years ago though.... Not that anyone here is necessarily saying Frost should have been hired in place of Riley at the time, but the alternative to hiring Riley 4 years ago was hiring an unproven Frost & Friends, or hiring a coach who, theoretically, wouldn't have been fired after three years. Meaning Frost would be at Florida right now.

Even if we had made a better selection than Riley 4 years ago, Frost would still be the best coach to be at NU. So it all worked out, and there are a lot less questions surrounding him and his assistants. It's full steam ahead, rather than a divided fan base and program - and even midway through last season, that wasn't the case with Frost in all circles.

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, Oade said:

It's important to remember that these same assistants would've been viewed as a poor hire 4 years ago though.... Not that anyone here is necessarily saying Frost should have been hired in place of Riley at the time, but the alternative to hiring Riley 4 years ago was hiring an unproven Frost & Friends, or hiring a coach who, theoretically, wouldn't have been fired after three years. Meaning Frost would be at Florida right now.

Even if we had made a better selection than Riley 4 years ago, Frost would still be the best coach to be at NU. So it all worked out, and there are a lot less questions surrounding him and his assistants. It's full steam ahead, rather than a divided fan base and program - and even midway through last season, that wasn't the case with Frost in all circles.

Good points.  Also if Riley was my grandfather, I would tell him to retire instead of taking the job at Nebraska.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, 4skers89 said:

Which just goes to show that people don't really care about things like being nice vs mean, hiring your buddies vs hiring the biggest name mercenary coaches, etc. People only care about winning. If you're not winning, you'll criticize every decision as the wrong one, but if the next guy is winning and making all the same decisions, you'll think they're the best decisions since the forward pass.

• Plus1 2

11 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Which just goes to show that people don't really care about things like being nice vs mean, hiring your buddies vs hiring the biggest name mercenary coaches, etc. People only care about winning. If you're not winning, you'll criticize every decision as the wrong one, but if the next guy is winning and making all the same decisions, you'll think they're the best decisions since the forward pass.

No, it doesn't show that.

Being fine with a coach hiring his buddies when he and his buddies went undefeated the previous year does not show that people will criticize every decision by a loser as the wrong one and be fine with the decision by a winner. Those coaches were not only his buddies, they were also winners. The latter being the key point. Riley hiring his buddies was a lot different because to a lot of people they weren't seen as winners.

There are dozens of other things that would show what you're talking about. E.g. when Frost inevitably goes for it on 4th and 3 with a pass, and we're not as pissed as we were at Riley when it doesn't work, that will show what you're talking about.

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

No, it doesn't show that.

Being fine with a coach hiring his buddies when he and his buddies went undefeated the previous year does not show that people will criticize every decision by a loser as the wrong one and be fine with the decision by a winner. Those coaches were not only his buddies, they were also winners. The latter being the key point. Riley hiring his buddies was a lot different because to a lot of people they weren't seen as winners.

There are dozens of other things that would show what you're talking about. E.g. when Frost inevitably goes for it on 4th and 3 with a pass, and we're not as pissed as we were at Riley when it doesn't work, that will show what you're talking about.

I'm confused. Didn't you just say the same thing that I did? Frost hired his buddies, and it's no big deal because they're winner. Riley hired his buddies, we had criticism because they weren't winners?

8 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I'm confused. Didn't you just say the same thing that I did? Frost hired his buddies, and it's no big deal because they're winner. Riley hired his buddies, we had criticism because they weren't winners?

I thought you were talking about the head coach, especially since previously you said in this topic that the reason people didn't care Frost hired his friends was only because he's Scott Frost.

I mean, Frost also hired all his buddies too. If it wasn't Frost hiring them, we'd look at many (most?) of our current coaches with skepticism that they weren't elite big name hires.

That's not accurate. The reason people didn't care about Frost hiring his friends is because they themselves were winners. They helped coach a team to an undefeated season last year.

You're talking about people ignoring an action by a coach based on what the team is doing. My example was a failed pass play on 4th down. It's the perceived negative action people are ignoring based on who the coach is. I've seen other examples of this where people are fine with it because it's Frost, so I'm not disagreeing with you that it happens. But this particular action, people are okay with because the coaches previously helped his team go undefeated. Not because it's Frost. The buddy coaches have actually shown they can help a team go undefeated, so it's not seen as a negative action to hire them.

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Nebraska fired a 9 win coach and hired a guy (MR doesn't qualify as a coach) that was 5-7. Has that ever happened before in CFB? A P5 coach fired and replaced with another P5 coach that had 4 fewer wins.

Paul Chryst from Pitt to Wisconsin. Obviously a different situation, but still.

And the odd part is, even in hindsight I think we were right to fire Bo. For as much as he deserved a shot as HC, he proved that he wasn't a good long term fit here either.

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I thought you were talking about the head coach, especially since previously you said in this topic that the reason people didn't care Frost hired his friends was only because he's Scott Frost.

That's not accurate. The reason people didn't care about Frost hiring his friends is because they themselves were winners. They helped coach a team to an undefeated season last year.

You're talking about people ignoring an action by a coach based on what the team is doing. My example was a failed pass play on 4th down. It's the perceived negative action people are ignoring based on who the coach is. I've seen other examples of this where people are fine with it because it's Frost, so I'm not disagreeing with you that it happens. But this particular action, people are okay with because the coaches previously helped his team go undefeated. Not because it's Frost. The buddy coaches have actually shown they can help a team go undefeated, so it's not seen as a negative action to hire them.

I meant "because it's Frost (a winning coach)", so I think we're saying the same thing.

31 minutes ago, Oade said:

Paul Chryst from Pitt to Wisconsin. Obviously a different situation, but still.

And the odd part is, even in hindsight I think we were right to fire Bo. For as much as he deserved a shot as HC, he proved that he wasn't a good long term fit here either.

But Anderson wasn't fired. I can see getting an Alum if you think there is potential, but firing a 9 win coach for a 5 win coach is baffling.

1 minute ago, MichiganDad3 said:

But Anderson wasn't fired. I can see getting an Alum if you think there is potential, but firing a 9 win coach for a 5 win coach is baffling.

From what I understand, Anderson was butting heads with Wisconsin to the point where he wanted to leave a top 10 program for Oregon State. He might not have been fired, but he was being squeezed in a lot of ways.

I think the execution of it all was poorly managed, but I don't think the logic or intent was all that baffling.

In regards to baffling, I was pointing out that 9 wins is unacceptable so you fire the coach. So if you want more then 9 wins you hire a career 5 win guy. That is baffling.

Back to the OP.  Understand now, MR thought he would still be coaching at Nebraska, so he told Bookie that he would be better off at Oklahoma