Nebrasketball Game #14 - @ Maryland: Wednesday, January 2 - 5:30 (BTN)

Mavric

What will the game result be?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What will the game result be?

• Nebraska single digit win
    • Nebraska double digit win
    • Maryland single digit win
    • Maryland double digit win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/03/2019 at 02:16 AM

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Actually, it's not....but, it's being taken differently.

In my original post I said it's "unacceptable."  That's not different than saying "You should be expected to shoot a certain percentage from the line at this level."

I'm guessing that most coaches at this level would have no problem using either terminology when discussing what level of free throw percentage they expect from their team.

Please point me to some examples when "most coaches at this level" have referred to free throws as "almost automatic"

I’m not a basketball expert by any means, but I’m surprised that there is so much vitriol in this thread defending low FT percentage. 

I didn’t realize that national averages and NBA averages were not higher, but I’m with BRB on this one. We shot worse than usual free throws in the game, which contributed to the loss. Is it not reasonable to want better, and more consistent, free throw shooting? Isn’t that a fundamental part of basketball that these players and coaches should be able to improve upon?

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, Ulty said:

I’m not a basketball expert by any means, but I’m surprised that there is so much vitriol in this thread defending low FT percentage. 

I didn’t realize that national averages and NBA averages were not higher, but I’m with BRB on this one. We shot worse than usual free throws in the game, which contributed to the loss. Is it not reasonable to want better, and more consistent, free throw shooting? Isn’t that a fundamental part of basketball that these players and coaches should be able to improve upon?

There is a lot of truth in this post, however shooting "worse than usual" happens about 44% of the time and only comes back to haunt you with a loss about 15% of those times.  It surely is reasonable to want better - kind of like a golfer that shoot 65 but wanted to make that one or two extra putts for a 63/64.  The low % of missed FT's typically are a result of taller players - who typically get a high percentage of their points and shoots within 12 feet of the basket.

Have you heard of a "bell curve" it was invented for a reason