Nebrasketball Game #14 - @ Maryland: Wednesday, January 2 - 5:30 (BTN)

Mavric

What will the game result be?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What will the game result be?

• Nebraska single digit win
    • Nebraska double digit win
    • Maryland single digit win
    • Maryland double digit win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/03/2019 at 02:16 AM

10 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Look around the country - free throws aren't "a given"  and both teams had similar turnovers.  NU needed to do better with both FT% and TO in this game but they are not given's

12 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

They're called "FREE" throws for a reason.  They should be almost automatic.  It is always a big frustration for me when a player isn't good at shooting free throws.  Quite honestly, it's laziness in not willing to put the time in doing something so mundane in the gym to get good at it.  If you're playing at this level, you should be able to do it with eyes closed.....literally.

• Plus1 2

10 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Look around the country - free throws aren't "a given"  and both teams had similar turnovers.  NU needed to do better with both FT% and TO in this game but they are not given's

I did look around the country.  I doubt you did (just post platitudes).  

We are #83 in the country in free throw percentage, so it's not like there's not room for improvement.  And that's with Palmer (who is a pretty good free throw shooter) taking almost a third of them.  Other than Palmer, we are shooting 67.5% which would be good for #253 in the country.  You know, since you wanted to look around the country.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

They're called "FREE" throws for a reason.  They should be almost automatic.  It is always a big frustration for me when a player isn't good at shooting free throws.  Quite honestly, it's laziness in not willing to put the time in doing something so mundane in the gym to get good at it.  If you're playing at this level, you should be able to do it with eyes closed.....literally.

Yes, the missed free throws are frustrating, but NU came into the game 3rd in the Big Ten in FT percentage.  Last night, they missed some that they usually don't.  That happens in some games.

Against Clemson, NU was 9-11 (82%) in free throws and won the close game.  This time, NU was 15-23 (65%) and lost.  So, NU won a game on the road with a strong free throw game early in the season, and this time lost.

• Fire 1

I am approaching 40 and have never played organized basketball in my life, yet I can walk into a gym today and hit 65% of my free throws (after warming up of course). I would expect Division 1 basketball players to do better than that at the line on a consistent basis.

I often find it hard to criticize college athletes when they give their all, as they are able to do things athletically that I simply have never been able to do even on my best days. But when the simple/fundamental things directly lead to a loss, it is frustrating. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU was down by a point.  Scoring in that possession isn't guaranteed.  I don't have any issue with trying to score with 20 seconds left.  If NU takes the ball down to 10 seconds, they risk not getting a good shot off.  Also, if NU doesn't score in the initial attempt, they can foul Maryland and extend the game.

Based on what I've read since the game and what I observed they weren't trying to score a basket.  They were trying to get Palmer to the line (which they did).  They could have gotten that with five seconds instead of 20.  Once Palmer got to the lane, they would have done anything to keep him from scoring at the rim.

9 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I am approaching 40 and have never played organized basketball in my life, yet I can walk into a gym today and hit 65% of my free throws (after warming up of course). I would expect Division 1 basketball players to do better than that at the line on a consistent basis.

I often find it hard to criticize college athletes when they give their all, as they are able to do things athletically that I simply have never been able to do even on my best days. But when the simple/fundamental things directly lead to a loss, it is frustrating. 

NU has had 2 close games where difference in free throw shooting has mattered.  One time, NU won with the help of strong FT shooting, and one time NU lost after poor FT shooting.  That is going to happen.  If NU loses more games this year as a result of their FT shooting, then it will be an issue, but nobody can make that distinction right now.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

Based on what I've read since the game and what I observed they weren't trying to score a basket.  They were trying to get Palmer to the line (which they did).  They could have gotten that with five seconds instead of 20.  Once Palmer got to the lane, they would have done anything to keep him from scoring at the rim.

Ok, so Palmer was trying to draw a foul.  What if Palmer drives to get a foul under 10 seconds and doesn't get the call (refs like to swallow their whistles in the closing seconds) and NU doesn't get a good shot off.  Miles would have been roasted for not doing anything to get a good shot off.

In the situation NU was in where NU was trailing by one, they can't afford to play for the last shot.  They have to leave enough time to extend the game in case their first attempt to score failed.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Ok, so Palmer was trying to draw a foul.  What if Palmer drives to get a foul under 10 seconds and doesn't get the call (refs like to swallow their whistles in the closing seconds) and NU doesn't get a good shot off.  Miles would have been roasted for not doing anything to get a good shot off.

In the situation NU was in where NU was trailing by one, they can't afford to play for the last shot.  They have to leave enough time to extend the game in case their first attempt to score failed.

Agree to disagree.

I can think of about five plays that weren't in the final minute that they'd like to have back.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU has had 2 close games where difference in free throw shooting has mattered.  One time, NU won with the help of strong FT shooting, and one time NU lost after poor FT shooting.  That is going to happen.  If NU loses more games this year as a result of their FT shooting, then it will be an issue, but nobody can make that distinction right now.

It's seemed like we were doing a better job of shooting them this year but statistically as a team we're basically right in line with last year.  

One thing that is really hurting us that I haven't seen mentioned is how much Roby has regressed from 3.  Dude has ZERO confidence from behind the arc this year.  He does the same thing 9/10 when he gets the ball behind - pump fake and drive.  Even when he does shoot, you can see how hesitant he is.  If I'm an opposing coach I'm not overly concerned about guarding him from deep.  

12 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Nebraska shoots FTs at a 73% clip. Had they shot that last night (instead of the 65% they did), they at least would have gone into OT. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I did look around the country.  I doubt you did (just post platitudes).  

We are #83 in the country in free throw percentage, so it's not like there's not room for improvement.  And that's with Palmer (who is a pretty good free throw shooter) taking almost a third of them.  Other than Palmer, we are shooting 67.5% which would be good for #253 in the country.  You know, since you wanted to look around the country.

Keep squeezing out #'s to prove your point - I guess we could also say since Palmer shoots the most FT on the team that his % is the only one that matters.  Lets compare his % to the team average of every team and see if it goes up from #253 or even #83.  I won't take the time because that would be the dumbest thing in the world to do......oh wait that is similar to what you did :(

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Since the mid-1960s, college men's players have made about 69 percent of free throws, the unguarded 15-foot, 1-point shot awarded after a foul. In 1965, the rate was 69 percent.Mar 3, 2009

............2 out of 3 doesn't sound free to me