Brexit

Can someone provide bullet points for what has been going on the past year? I haven’t bothered to read past headlines and probably won’t but I’m still curious.

I understand what Brexit is but I don’t know what they keep voting on or why everyone hates May. Are they voting on how to leave the EU? Are they trying to figure out how not to leave the EU?

The other thing I wonder is if Scotland may have another vote on leaving the UK so they can stay in the EU. They voted around 60% against leaving the EU. 

9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Can someone provide bullet points for what has been going on the past year? I haven’t bothered to read past headlines and probably won’t but I’m still curious.

I understand what Brexit is but I don’t know what they keep voting on or why everyone hates May. Are they voting on how to leave the EU? Are they trying to figure out how not to leave the EU?

The other thing I wonder is if Scotland may have another vote on leaving the UK so they can stay in the EU. They voted around 60% against leaving the EU. 

I'll wait for someone more knowledgable on the specifics to answer. 

But, in general, the public voted for Brexit because of the populist movement without any knowledge or plan of actually how it was going to work.  So, the government was tasked with actually trying to make it work and it's actually a horrible idea that is extremely complicated to accomplish.  So, the Prime Minister is being blamed for not having a good plan to accomplish it, but, in reality, there isn't a really good plan to accomplish it.

• Plus1 1

That's more or less it. They bucked a serious and monumental decision to the uninformed public instead of taking care of it themselves like they should've. The public was misled and voted for this s#!t show, and there's no realistic way that it's possible to do without causing absolute devastation for far too many people.

• Plus1 1

One example is......

If I remember right, I read an article some time ago talking about one if the biggest issues is immigration.  If Britain exits the EU, that means people can't move as easy from country to country.  Well.....Ireland and Scotland are part of the UK but will still be in the EU.  So, how is that supposed to work?

Right now the bigger question is with regard to Ireland essentially leaving the UK and the problems it presents with northern IRE.  Haven't heard that Scotland may jump ship this go round.  

Cool story, I was there for the first vote -  I would have joined in on Aye.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'll wait for someone more knowledgable on the specifics to answer. 

But, in general, the public voted for Brexit because of the populist movement without any knowledge or plan of actually how it was going to work.  So, the government was tasked with actually trying to make it work and it's actually a horrible idea that is extremely complicated to accomplish.  So, the Prime Minister is being blamed for not having a good plan to accomplish it, but, in reality, there isn't a really good plan to accomplish it.

2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

That's more or less it. They bucked a serious and monumental decision to the uninformed public instead of taking care of it themselves like they should've. The public was misled and voted for this s#!t show, and there's no realistic way that it's possible to do without causing absolute devastation for far too many people.

Could they have avoided letting the public vote on it? I don’t really know what their policies are on petitions (if that’s how it started). It’s too bad they can’t have a do over. 

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

One example is......

If I remember right, I read an article some time ago talking about one if the biggest issues is immigration.  If Britain exits the EU, that means people can't move as easy from country to country.  Well.....Ireland and Scotland are part of the UK but will still be in the EU.  So, how is that supposed to work?

Are you sure? I think Brexit is for all of Great Britain. The non UK part of Ireland will still be in the EU.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Could they have avoided letting the public vote on it? I don’t really know what their policies are on petitions (if that’s how it started). It’s too bad they can’t have a do over. 

I thought there was discussion of having another vote but, I don't remember if that ever actually happened,

1 minute ago, NM11046 said:

Right now the bigger question is with regard to Ireland essentially leaving the UK and the problems it presents with northern IRE.  Haven't heard that Scotland may jump ship this go round.  

Cool story, I was there for the first vote -  I would have joined in on Aye.

Aye for Scotland leaving UK or UK leaving EU?

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Aye for Scotland leaving UK or UK leaving EU?

Years ago (maybe 4 or 5) Scotland voted to leave (or not to) leave UK.  It was close but they did not.

And I would have voted yes to leave UK.  Scotland supplies the majority of income and gets very little in way of rewards for that.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That could be.  Like I said, I'm shy of real specifics.  I know there was something about Ireland/UK/EU and people moving from country to country.

Ya I think that’s the Republic of Ireland. They’re not part of the UK. And there was talk of Scotland trying to leave the UK again. I think the vote was pretty close last time and Brexit might push more people over the edge.

1 minute ago, NM11046 said:

Years ago (maybe 4 or 5) Scotland voted to leave (or not to) leave UK.  It was close but they did not.

Yes I know. I’m asking you which you would have voted Aye for. You didn’t say whether you were talking about Scotland leaving the UK or the UK leaving the EU. 

Just now, Moiraine said:

Ya I think that’s the Republic of Ireland. They’re not part of the UK. And there was talk of Scotland trying to leave the UK again. I think the vote was pretty close last time and Brexit might push more people over the edge.

Yes I know. I’m asking you which you would have voted Aye for. 

I was editing when you were answering.  See above.

3 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

And I would have voted yes to leave UK.  Scotland supplies the majority of income and gets very little in way of rewards for that.

It’s an interesting comment, because the same was probably said for the UK and EU. I believe the UK is #1 or #2 in the EU.