Breon Dixon

10 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Doing a little reading and was surprised that even though an athlete gets a multi-year scollie, you can cancel it for almost anything except low performance.  From late to class, team meetings & practice to character on & off the field to grades to legal issues. If the coach wants it done, it can be done!

That makes sense.

(This next bit isn't directed at you SouthLincoln) I'm with @Mavric though that I think using the word "cut" is a bit disingenuous. When I hear "cut," I think of how it works in the professional ranks, where the coaches and front office have the authority to cut you from the team in the pre-season for any reason up to and including performance. In college, I think the best you can do is be blunt and say 'hey, we don't think you've got a real chance to play here anymore, but we'll help get you where you want to go.' That guy could probably still stick around and compete if he really wanted to.

The end result is similar in that a guy is off the team, but the semantics and functionality of it are different.

9 minutes ago, Enhance said:

That makes sense.

(This next bit isn't directed at you SouthLincoln) I'm with @Mavric though that I think using the word "cut" is a bit disingenuous. When I hear "cut," I think of how it works in the professional ranks, where the coaches and front office have the authority to cut you from the team in the pre-season for any reason up to and including performance. In college, I think the best you can do is be blunt and say 'hey, we don't think you've got a real chance to play here anymore, but we'll help get you where you want to go.' That guy could probably still stick around and compete if he really wanted to.

The end result is similar in that a guy is off the team, but the semantics and functionality of it are different.

I agree.   

• 2 weeks later...

So ... it would seem we were probably in the grey area in the middle as far as guys getting "cut".

I still don't think they can really "cut" scholarship guys.  But, walk-ons don't have the same protection and it would seem they are thinning them out a bit.  So that's probably where the reports of a bunch of guys getting cut came from.

Nebraska's online roster is updated as of Wednesday morning to reflect recent attrition and the flexibility the Huskers possess as summer arrives. 

In addition to the four scholarship players previously reported as leaving — punter Caleb Lightbourn, linebackers Breon Dixon and Quayshon Alexander and defensive back Cam'ron Jones — the Journal Star reported earlier this month that seven walk-ons were expected to move on, too. 

According to the updated roster, they are redshirt freshman wide receiver Justin Holm (Lincoln Southwest), junior linebackers Grant and Spencer Jordan (Omaha Westide), wide receivers Chad Alioth Jr. (Omaha North), Brandon Robbins (Bellevue East) and Andrew Thurman (Stillwell, Kansas) and reserve kicker Noah McCashland (Lincoln Pius X). 

The online roster now stands at 149, down from a high of 160, and will bump to 150 when junior college defensive lineman Jahkeem Green officially joins the program. 

LJS

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
On 4/24/2019 at 10:05 AM, Mavric said:

Depending on how you look at the numbers, we are (probably) one under right now.  

I show us at 86 but I still have Desmond Bland on my list but most guys don't expect him to qualify.  I also have Mazour on my list but his scholarship might not be renewed if it's needed elsewhere.  So we are only "committed" to 84 right at the moment.  And I bet there will be a couple more guys transfer in the next month.

I think there's quite a difference.  If you're cut, the coaches have total control over that.  They simply tell you you're not on the team anymore.  And you wouldn't have a scholarship anymore (if you had one before).  If you're told to look elsewhere, it's pretty obvious that you're probably not going to play but they can't take your scholarship away.

Ok please how that bold statement isn't in conflict wt itself.   If the coaches say "You are Cut" - you don't have a scholarship.  If the coaches say "Look Elsewhere"  you still have a scholarship :blink:.   The the coach should always say "You are Cut" to free of up a scholly.   What am I missing:dunno

24 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Ok please how that bold statement isn't in conflict wt itself.   If the coaches say "You are Cut" - you don't have a scholarship.  If the coaches say "Look Elsewhere"  you still have a scholarship :blink:.   The the coach should always say "You are Cut" to free of up a scholly.   What am I missing:dunno

Because - to me - saying you are "cutting" a player implies that the coach/manager has total power to do whatever they want.  The player has no say on if they stay or go.  That's what happens in professional sports.

But I don't think that's really the case with the scholarships being protected now.  The coach can tell you you're probably not going to play and you should probably look elsewhere if you want to get on the field.  But if the player still wants to stay on the team, they can do that because their scholarship is protected.  The coach can't take away your scholarship if you want to stay.

That's probably a bit generalized because I'm sure there are loop holes.  But that's the intent of the guaranteed scholarships.

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Because - to me - saying you are "cutting" a player implies that the coach/manager has total power to do whatever they want.  The player has no say on if they stay or go.  That's what happens in professional sports.

But I don't think that's really the case with the scholarships being protected now.  The coach can tell you you're probably not going to play and you should probably look elsewhere if you want to get on the field.  But if the player still wants to stay on the team, they can do that because their scholarship is protected.  The coach can't take away your scholarship if you want to stay.

That's probably a bit generalized because I'm sure there are loop holes.  But that's the intent of the guaranteed scholarships.

Thanks Mav:clap  It is clear now.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...