N Illinois Depth Chart Released - Some Changes

knapplc

4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah I’d really like to see Mills finding some holes. He’s built for and has the mentality for interior running but he just hasn’t shown he has field vision yet.

He's said he wants to run right through guys, which makes me wonder if he's holding himself back by not working on his field vision. He might end up being a different flavor of Marlon Lucky - can't find the holes.

23 hours ago, Undone said:

I want to see Mills come in this week and find holes and come up big for us with the interior running. That would feel amazing and would totally change the dynamic of the offense.

Washington might have to stop shying away from contact a bit, also. I know his big strengths lie in cutting it outside but we just have to get something going in the running game here that resembles more of last season.

This would require some sort of blocking. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, billdozer15 said:

True, however, if you rewatch his plays from the CU game, there are times where if he cuts just a little, there is a hole there.  His vision needs to improve.  It seems like he's grabbing the ball and running as fast as he can straight ahead when if he would have better vision, he should be able to plant a foot, cut and get more yards.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, billdozer15 said:

Mo had some runs where he got five or more yards by seeing running lanes and making good cuts. Mills is really struggling. 

Mo probably isn't going to just be in there playing the whole game. I hope coach Held can make some progress with Dedrick because we need him badly.

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

Mo had some runs where he got five or more yards by seeing running lanes and making good cuts. Mills is really struggling. 

Mo probably isn't going to just be in there playing the whole game. I hope coach Held can make some progress with Dedrick because we need him badly.

I really wonder if Mills is cut out for a zone running scheme. We might have to promote Johnson and Mazour soon if he isn't. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

I really wonder if Mills is cut out for a zone running scheme. We might have to promote Johnson and Mazour soon if he isn't. 

The plays I remember rewatching from the CU game weren't because he was in a  zone running scheme.  I remember one specifically where he was running over the right guard.  Problem was, the hole was just slightly to his left.  Instead of planting his foot just enough to get in the hole, he runs into the back of the guard and trips over his legs.  He literally was just a half a hole away from getting maybe 5-7 yards.  Instead he maybe got 2.