Winning the West - 9/30 Edition

knapplc

6 minutes ago, Bad2theBONES said:

Have we become so desperate as Huskers fans to say that “winning the west would be fantastic?” It would be a step in the right direction from the depths of despair this program has fallen into the past ten years. But let’s be honest, the B1G West division is not being talked about on a national level. No one could give a crap less who wins the B1G West. We had our chance to prove ourselves to everyone. We didn’t expect a win, but showcasing the improvements we have made and proving we are in the right direction is all we could have asked to showcase. Unfortunately, we just embarrassed the crap out of ourselves on that national level. Absolute embarrassment to this program. It will be at least five more years until we get that opportunity again and have the ability to change a few minds on the national level about the direction of our program. Until then, no one cares if we win the West. That should be a given. 

To answer your question, yes we are that desperate. It wasn't too long ago that nine wins was unacceptable. Now we want to just make a bowl game and maybe win the West on a good year.

27 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Things would be totally different if the scenario played out as Knapp laid out

Thank you. I put forth a very plausible scenario, and it seems as if all the people saying "no chance" haven't read the OP.

Everyone is talking about Nebraska's flaws - and those are real and we have to fix them. But winning the West isn't ONLY about us, it's about what the other teams do, too.  The remaining schedule for each team that could contend for the West is tougher than ours.

Too many people are too inwardly focused. They know a little bit about their team and not much about any others.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Bad2theBONES said:

Have we become so desperate as Huskers fans to say that “winning the west would be fantastic?”

That's an interesting question.  Good thing your next sentence answers what everyone is thinking.

13 minutes ago, Bad2theBONES said:

It would be a step in the right direction from the depths of despair this program has fallen into the past ten years

That's all anyone wants. We're not going to go from back-to-back 4-8 seasons to contending for the National Championship. There are steps in between, and we should celebrate those steps.

I'll be happy if we go to a bowl game.

I'll be happier if we win the West.

Those are our attainable goals this year. If we get there, we should celebrate.

That does not make us "desperate."

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Thank you. I put forth a very plausible scenario, and it seems as if all the people saying "no chance" haven't read the OP.

Everyone is talking about Nebraska's flaws - and those are real and we have to fix them. But winning the West isn't ONLY about us, it's about what the other teams do, too.  The remaining schedule for each team that could contend for the West is tougher than ours.

Too many people are too inwardly focused. They know a little bit about their team and not much about any others.

Knapp, the humorous thought from my perspective  ... a few days before the game, I thought we'd lose by 35 points.  I'm also the guy who thought 6-6 or 7-5 was reality  ... but we had the potential to go 8-4.  Now, you present your scenario  ... and I'm the one defending the possibility of it ... and it seems like all those 10-2 pre-season folks cant fathom it.

Always glad for your sanity and fresh perspective sir.  :-)

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's an interesting question.  Good thing your next sentence answers what everyone is thinking.

That's all anyone wants. We're not going to go from back-to-back 4-8 seasons to contending for the National Championship. There are steps in between, and we should celebrate those steps.

I'll be happy if we go to a bowl game.

I'll be happier if we win the West.

Those are our attainable goals this year. If we get there, we should celebrate.

That does not make us "desperate."

Well said. It doesn't make us desperate, it makes us realistic. We would all love to see an immediate turnaround, and it's tough as h$ll watching us lose, and to inferior teams (based on recruiting/talent ratings). I never bought into the idea that the UCF turnaround was going to happen here. We just have too many things that are broken right now, and we haven't played a game of more than 2 or 3 quarters of good football in years. After going 4-8 last year, let's focus on first getting to a bowl so we can benefit from all the extra practice reps to develop the young guys a little more. If we happen to get to 8 or 9 wins, then it's icing on the cake. It's not pleasant, but I think it's where we are right now........

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Says the guy who put Minnesota in a tier below us 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedN said:

Knapp, the humorous thought from my perspective  ... a few days before the game, I thought we'd lose by 35 points.  I'm also the guy who thought 6-6 or 7-5 was reality  ... but we had the potential to go 8-4.  Now, you present your scenario  ... and I'm the one defending the possibility of it ... and it seems like all those 10-2 pre-season folks cant fathom it.

Always glad for your sanity and fresh perspective sir.  :-)

I was a 10-2 guy.

I'm still a 10-2 guy! 

:power

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, Bad2theBONES said:

Have we become so desperate as Huskers fans to say that “winning the west would be fantastic?” It would be a step in the right direction from the depths of despair this program has fallen into the past ten years. But let’s be honest, the B1G West division is not being talked about on a national level. No one could give a crap less who wins the B1G West. We had our chance to prove ourselves to everyone. We didn’t expect a win, but showcasing the improvements we have made and proving we are in the right direction is all we could have asked to showcase. Unfortunately, we just embarrassed the crap out of ourselves on that national level. Absolute embarrassment to this program. It will be at least five more years until we get that opportunity again and have the ability to change a few minds on the national level about the direction of our program. Until then, no one cares if we win the West. That should be a given. 

Why wouldn’t the West championship be fantastic?

Did you think winning the big 8 was fantastic?  That conference only had one more team than what our division has now. 

Plus, if they were to win the west, it would show growth during the season and wins over some good teams. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why wouldn’t the West championship be fantastic?

Did you think winning the big 8 was fantastic?  That conference only had one more team than what our division has now. 

Plus, if they were to win the west, it would show growth during the season and wins over some good teams. 

I’m not saying winning the west wouldn’t be a great show of improvement to this team, because it would be but I hope we aren’t equating a West division title to a Big 8 conference championship, especially in its final years. 

Because those two aren’t the same. At all. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

I’m not saying winning the west wouldn’t be a great show of improvement to this team, because it would be....

I believe this is all anyone is saying. 

Is it it the same as winning a conference championship?  No. 

But, it’s still a pretty good accomplishment compared to where we have been. 

• Plus1 1