Elijah Cummings has died

ZRod

8 hours ago, ZRod said:

I almost feel bad for him. Normally I would say that a funeral is not the time for that. Especially when Mitch had the respect to show up, but he's a terrible person to begin with.

Yeah, I agree with this 100%.  

It is funny but in the end the only statement the guy is really making is that he is also a tool.  But then again, I totally get him trying to make his point.

10 hours ago, ZRod said:

I almost feel bad for him. Normally I would say that a funeral is not the time for that. Especially when Mitch had the respect to show up, but he's a terrible person to begin with.

We dont know the half of it - all we see is McConnell in public and what he does and that's horrible enough.  I'm assuming that there are things that only close friends and family of Elijah know, so perhaps this move was for more reason than we'll ever know.  The same guy did shake th hands of other GOP members.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, NM11046 said:

We dont know the half of it - all we see is McConnell in public and what he does and that's horrible enough.  I'm assuming that there are things that only close friends and family of Elijah know, so perhaps this move was for more reason than we'll ever know.  The same guy did shake th hands of other GOP members.

Yeah...but if you want to mend things...you shake hands.

On 10/26/2019 at 9:09 AM, NM11046 said:

Indeed, there was more to it.

For those who can't access WaPo:

When I saw Mitch McConnell, all I saw was my brother’s face,” said Rankin, one of Cummings’s pallbearers.

Rankin’s brother, Jerry, died last October from cancer after being exposed to contaminated water while serving in the Marines at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. Jerry did not receive the veterans’ benefits he was owed before he died, Rankin said — and he blamed McConnell in part for that family tragedy.

“Elijah Cummings reached across party lines trying to help my brother get his military benefits, and Mitch McConnell was one of the persons he reached out to,” Rankin said.

I could not put my hands in the man’s hand who refused to help somebody who served his country,” Rankin said, later adding, “I couldn’t do it, because I was thinking about my brother.”

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2