How are analyst utilized during games?

Longtime lurker and this is my first thread starter, so go easy on me. I have to admit, I’m just a fan and a clueless armchair quarterback who yells at his t.v. when I’m not in the stands at the homegames. After seeing some of the headscratchers during the games regarding some playcalls, coverages, and clock management, I was wondering who we have for the behind the scenes advice to the coaching staff and if they are utilized in a game.

It’s my understanding that the NCAA now limits headsets to 10. I believe Walters is up in the coach’s box and I assume he has SF’s ear even though SF calls the offensive plays. Do we have someone experienced in the coach’s box that in a “face to face capacity” might have Walters ear?

When I look at the Husker football staff list, I see: Frank Verducci (Senior Offensive Analyst); Mike Cassano (Offensive Analyst); Dustin Haines (Offensive Analyst); Steve Cooper (Offensive Quality Control); and Steve DeMeo (Assistant Quality Control who was a former graduate assistant on offense).

On the defensive side, the closest I see to an analyst is Jack Cooper (Defensive Quality Control). The apparent lack of experienced extended staff on the defense side both surprises me and doesn’t surprise me at the same time (if that makes any sense). The rest of the football staff all appear to be graduate assistants or extended staff which appear to be specific to more off-field types of rolls like strength, recruiting, and player development.

Maybe I’m way off on how an analyst might be used and they’re around in part to have more continuity if and when an assistant coach leaves the program?

• Plus1 2

So, it depends on the program and the situation. In the SEC, they’re hiring overqualified “analysts” and “quality control” guys who need to rehab their careers for whatever reason - scandal, teamed up with a bad HC and lost their job and now need to get trajectory back on track, got promoted too fast and crashed and burned (Diaco, McElwain), etc. Jeff Teford was a QB analyst for Washington for a season, which is crazy. They’re basically used as 1-2 year rentals.

In most cases, it’s young coaches who are higher on the totem pole than a grad assistant, but not quite ready to be a position coach yet. 

They’re essentially scouts and their biggest assignments are usually self-scouting, which has become as important as anything in sports. Making sure we aren’t giving any tells by how we line-up or stances we are in. Or in a case where we schedule a really unique OOC opponent, they likely dedicate a person or two to scout that team all summer.

• Fire 2
36 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

They’re essentially scouts and their biggest assignments are usually self-scouting

Thanks for the response. The scouting aspect makes sense to me. Part of me bringing it up is because of seeing the examples of big names taking analyst positions. Seeing Butch Jones at Bama, Major Applewhite at Bama, and Jeff Tedford in his temporary stint at Washington (I’m a big fan of Jeff Tedford and Fresno State). Made me wonder about what an analyst could really do for us especially after seeing all the threads stating that we need to hire unrealistic guys like Urban Meyer as an analyst.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Caliborn72 said:

They’re essentially scouts and their biggest assignments are usually self-scouting, which has become as important as anything in sports. Making sure we aren’t giving any tells by how we line-up or stances we are in. Or in a case where we schedule a really unique OOC opponent, they likely dedicate a person or two to scout that team all summer.

No way our analysts do this

• Plus1 1

So we have 6 maybe 7 and Bama lists 13 on their staff, numerous head coaches on rehab.  Anyone thinking that Saben does not use them to the fullest stretch of the rules is kidding their selves.  Even Finebaum calls it cheating, but hey if the NCAA doesn't say anything all is fair in love and war I guess.

If we want to play with the big boys we need to do some of the things they do, going to a gun fight with a knife is not a good idea.  We used to be the trend setter in this type of stuff, time to get back on the horse.  Not to be take as hit against Frost, he is my guy and I will support him until he isn't here.

• Plus1 1