Special Teams

Undone

3 hours ago, Undone said:

Yes, especially when you're already playing from behind in any given game. The risk/reward ratio just isn't favorable.

And in my opinion this falls squarely back onto bad coaching and bad in-game adjustments.

If we watch this same stuff next season and we also have another losing season it will absolutely lead to hands down the lowest point in the program.

Reading about the analysts job, they have no contact with the kids, but draw up a plan and give it to the coach.  So which coach actually tells the kids in game what to do?  Provides the kids the game plan.....During the game, they can communicate with the coach, but don't have a headset.....So with no coach assigned ST's, who did Rutledge talk to during games?  It is almost as though Rutledge would look at a team, provide the info to Frost who would then have some coach that basically said, we will KO like this, punt like this, return like this etc.....And that was it.....Maybe I missed it, but I honestly have no idea.  Did he just holler at a coach and hope they told the respective unit....I can't remember how many games we have lost by a score or less.  I know it's more than we have won....And better ST's play could easily flip some of these to the WIN column and this team and Frost suddenly look much  much better.....

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, lo country said:

During the game, they can communicate with the coach, but don't have a headset.....So with no coach assigned ST's, who did Rutledge talk to during games?

Yep. They can't electronically speak to coaches, and they have no contact with the players. I saw an article with a Mizzou analyst say he would scribble notes and try to pass them off to an assistant during games. Really hard for me to blame Rutledge for our results, he was set up for failure with the structure we have. Offensive minded HC, OC, WR Coach, TE Coach, QB Coach, DC (prev OLB Coach), OLB Coach, ILB Coach - you absolutely have to find a way to cut the fat and work a ST coordinator on to that staff.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Undone said:

Be that as it may, you now get the ball on the 25 if you fair catch it anywhere inside the 25.

So when you lack a 'Barry Sanders' on your team and you also have undisciplined blockers/poorly coached blocking scheme, you should probably just take the fair catch most of the time when they kick it deep.

True - I don't think we are up to the Barry Sanders standard yet!!!