Will Rhule be a Rule For Scott Frost To Follow?

9 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Not sure why there was so much demand for Rhule?  Sure he's a decent coach but not elite in college football nor the best in his own conference.  Where do you rank him in the Big 12.  Sort of feels Kliff Kingsbury-esque.  OK, I guess.  

I think Frost is here to stay.  Reaching a championship game, losing, and then saying "turn-around over, I'm out" does not seem likely at all for his DNA.  I think he wants to make a mark and leave a legacy at Nebraska.  

I think Ruhle was probably either 1A or 1B when it came to coaches in the Big XII this year.  As others have mentioned, I think it's hard to quantify just had bad things were at Baylor.

I tend to agree that it seems unlikely that Frost goes that route only because he's a native son and he played at Nebraska.  If Frost pulled a similar turnaround at say...Louisville, Florida State, USC I think a leap to the NFL might be more plausible due to the lack of ties.

Since Frost played in the NFL and has several connections in the league I think if he wanted to be in the NFL he would have found a coaching job there first and worked up. He could have ended up with the Steelers or someone if he wanted I'd bet. He came back to coach college and that makes me think he prefers the college game. Could be wrong, but just the impression I get.

3 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Since Frost played in the NFL and has several connections in the league I think if he wanted to be in the NFL he would have found a coaching job there first and worked up. He could have ended up with the Steelers or someone if he wanted I'd bet. He came back to coach college and that makes me think he prefers the college game. Could be wrong, but just the impression I get.

Same. Have a hard time seeing him jump ship on the Huskers. Maybe after some years but definitely not after next season if we do well

I think once Frost gets the success ball rolling here, he will be a 'lifer' like Tom and Bob before him.  He could have taken any job before he took the NU job - he came here out of passion, it is home and it is where he wants to be long term.   I think he sees it as his mission in life to 'right this ship' out of love for the program but also out of love for his mentor- Tom.  It is personal with him.  The original 7 year contract speaks to the mutual desire between NU and Frost for longevity. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

12 hours ago, Landlord said:

He turned one program from 2 wins into back to back 10 win seasons in three years. He turned another from 1 win to 11 wins in three years. Kliff Kingsbury never finished ranked or had more than eight wins ever. 

I’m not against Rhule, I just don’t think he’s as impressive to be up for several NFL jobs.  He’s done some good things but in the Big 12 alone I think the NFL covets Lincoln Riley, Tom Herman, and Mike Gundy more.  Gary Patterson and Les Miles are near the end so not NFL candidates but have much better career accomplishments.  Matt Campbell is on the rise also.  That puts Rhule middle of the Big 12 pack, not college football but just his conference.  If the NFL is paying big for this level of coaching then Rhule is smart to strike while the iron is hot.  I’d be worried if we had someone similar but Frost seems to not be in this same mold and I expect he will make his name in the college game and that’s good for us.