The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am just gonna go out on a limb here...and say that America will not look much like Uganda anytime soon.  

And we aren't going to look like Venezuela either.  

So now that we've admitted to a touch of hyperbole, do you think Donald Trump's America more resembles a nationalist leaning European nation, or a bats#!t third world kleptocracy selling tribalism and outsider conspiracies?

I gotta lean to the latter, hyperbole and all. The good news is that I think there are still enough sane people to over-ride it, but it could get ugly.

• Plus1 2

13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

And we aren't going to look like Venezuela either.  

So now that we've admitted to a touch of hyperbole, do you think Donald Trump's America more resembles a nationalist leaning European nation, or a bats#!t third world kleptocracy selling tribalism and outsider conspiracies?

I gotta lean to the latter, hyperbole and all. The good news is that I think there are still enough sane people to over-ride it, but it could get ugly.

Where I live, it looks almost exactly the same as it ever has, except for the virus issues.  

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Where I live, it looks almost exactly the same as it ever has, except for the virus issues.  

You live in a different America than a lot of people. But the America you live in is not insulated nor isolated from the problems the rest of the nation faces. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
27 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I say this based on the many global studies on quality of life that show the United States plummeting out of our First World status in several disturbing categories. 

The problem is amplified when we insist on our exceptionalism while doing little to earn it. The U.S. has lost a tremendous amount of the respect it earned post WWII, and has literally embarrassed itself over the last 3.5 years. I'm not sure Americans really understand how far we've fallen. 

Because I live here and experience all the crap right now, I want to fight for my country.  And it gets a bit daunting to find out how many Americans truly believe the coronavirus sent by China is also plot by Bill Gates to implant us with tracking chips. It'd be kinda funny if it wasn't so horrifying. 

Admittedly, I'm taking the Trump years out of the equation.  This era is such a pathetic embarrassment that I honestly think that if we can vote him out in November and have a relatively normal person in the office building relationships around the world (instead of pissing everyone off and insulting them) I think the relationships will come back fairly quickly.  

I'm more concerned about issues of healthcare, gun violence, poverty, race relations...etc.  Which....never will be dealt with until after November.  

Yes, we have those issues.  But, countries like Britain, Germany, France...etc. have their fair share of issues too.  No country is perfect.  We need to continually try to improve our our country.  We all want that because we love living here....contrary to what some people think when you want to improve your country.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

You live in a different America than a lot of people. But the America you live in is not insulated nor isolated from the problems the rest of the nation faces. 

Sure, doesn't change the fact that it is the awesomest country.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, BlitzFirst said:

Saying No doesn't give you a very good counter claim there brother.  I'm basing my statement on stuff you can just do a simple google search to find out.

Example:  For healthcare and education, the US dropped to 27th in the world in 2018.  Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/us-ranks-27th-for-healthcare-and-education-2018-9

So, definitely not the best.

For quality of life, the US is 7th...which still isn't the best again:  https://www.businessinsider.com/best-countries-in-the-world-ranked-us-news-world-report#7-united-states-11

So, that's what I'm basing my assertion on.  Feel free to google on your own to find out how we're not #1 on just about everything out there any longer when we used to be #1 on many.

I didn't need to make a counter.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

As always, good talk.

Agreed, thanks!

Just now, BlitzFirst said:

Saying no to something that is asserted, is in it's nature, a counter claim.  Aren't you a teacher?

Sure, but why do I need to counter your counter to my original statement?  So that you can keep saying America sucks and I can keep saying it is awesome?  You are not going to change my mind and I am not going to change yours.  Right?

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Sure, but why do I need to counter your counter to my original statement?  So that you can keep saying America sucks and I can keep saying it is awesome?  You are not going to change my mind and I am not going to change yours.  Right?

So then, you're just here to troll P&R?