The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

Not a huge story but this smells very odd.

Nothing could go wrong here:

The out-of-the-ordinary loan for Kodak came from a new and little-known government agency: the US International Development Finance Corporation. This outfit was created to provide foreign aid—not domestic assistance—and it is headed by Adam Boehler, a former roommate of Jared Kushner. In March, Kushner tapped Boehler to be part of his shadow coronavirus task force.

So I wonder if the Jewish community has an influential member: Jared Kushner.

The agreement was officially announced on July 28, but the previous day, the price of Kodak’s stock began to surge, following local media leaks about the loan in Rochester, New York (the home of Kodak). This buying frenzy continued for a couple of days. During that time, billionaire investor George Karfunkel, a member of Kodak’s board of directors, made an unusual transaction: He donated 3 million Kodak shares—worth up to $180 million at the time—to a relatively new Jewish congregation that has almost no public profile. 

Sounds like insider traiding to me

Given that Congregation Chemdas Yisroel is registered as a tax-exempt religious organization, the Karfunkels will be able to claim this donation as a tax deduction. That means they could pocket a deduction between $52.5 million and $180 million for a bloc of stocks that two days earlier was worth $6.39 million. (The donation also lowered the Karfunkels’ holdings in Kodak to 4.4 percent—which is below the 5 percent threshold that requires investors in a publicly traded company to report their stock transactions.)

This sounds very much  like the Chicago 'company' Trump set up to laundry money through

But what went unreported were details regarding the recipient of this immense gift. And it is tough to find any traces of this Congregation Chemdas Yisroel. It has no website. It is not listed on the synagogue locator of the Orthodox Union, a large support network for Orthodox congregations. There is no information on it within various online databases, beyond its existence as a corporate entity.

Chemdas Yisroel was registered as a Delaware corporation in December 2018.  Two weeks later, Chemdas Yisroel was registered with the New York Department of State as a Brooklyn-based entity. A search of Delaware corporation records for groups with the word “congregation” in their names yielded only 19 entities of which 10 appeared to be Jewish organizations. The New York State division of corporations lists hundreds of organizations that have “congregation” in their names and that appear to be Jewish.

The New York corporate registration for Congregation Chemdas Yisroel listed its address as that of an accounting firm in Brooklyn, Roth & Co., and Abraham Roth, the co-managing partner of the firm, was cited as a point of contact. Roth did not respond to multiple requests seeking comment about Chemdas Yisroel and Karfunkel’s massive donation.

But you know, trump, kushner and friends are very trustworthy people so probably

giphy.gif

• Plus1 2
44 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm not sure if this is a truly self-aware moment, or if Ulty doesn't realize who has actually missed the joke.

f#&% me, it was my fault!

Been too long since I watched that movie, I f#&%ed up the quotes...

• Haha 5

53 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

FYI....I don't agree with moving the discussion out of the football forum. It's an important part of the entire sports issue.  But.....I'll respect the decision.

Can you please tell me where it was moved too?

It’s called the tangent thread and you have to apparently have moderator access. Super secret I guess because I can’t find it by looking, but I got a message that I was quoted in it.  

6 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

It’s called the tangent thread and you have to apparently have moderator access. Super secret I guess because I can’t find it by looking, but I got a message that I was quoted in it.  

You just need the super duper secret password to get in the Woodshed. (PM any mod or almost anyone on the board and they'll give you the password. But it's super duper secret, so only give it out to people that ask for it.)

• Haha 2