The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I suspect the federal government does many things well when it has good leaders running our departments/agencies and a good leader in charge, but the things is does well aren't noticeable because they're, well, going well.

You know what would be interesting:

If every state in the union elected federal representatives that were interested in federal govt.

And every state elected state representatives that were interested in local govt.

And just see where it got us...

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, GSG said:

My wife's superintendent basically gave them the Lou Holtz speech from yesterday: "We need to open school in-person and just have people get sick and/or die. It's totally worth the risk." 

are they really looking forward to the "students and teachers lost to covid" section of their yearbooks?

4 minutes ago, commando said:

are they really looking forward to the "students and teachers lost to covid" section of their yearbooks?

My thoughts exactly.

All these people think "in-person school" means "school as it was prior to COVID." What they're not understanding is that the kids will basically be glued to their desks. No lunch in cafeteria, just at your desk. No recess with all the other kids, just your class and it will be structured, which means no shared equipment (kickball or whatever kids play nowadays, etc.) And somehow they're going to keep everyone socially distant (impossible) and wearing masks all day long (also impossible). 

• Plus1 2

I swear.  If I hear another dumbass person claiming the cancellation of the B1G schedule is “ political “‘ , I’m going to lose it!  Are people really that freaking clueless?   

Ok.  Thanks. I just had to vent.  I feel much better now.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, GSG said:

My thoughts exactly.

All these people think "in-person school" means "school as it was prior to COVID." What they're not understanding is that the kids will basically be glued to their desks. No lunch in cafeteria, just at your desk. No recess with all the other kids, just your class and it will be structured, which means no shared equipment (kickball or whatever kids play nowadays, etc.) And somehow they're going to keep everyone socially distant (impossible) and wearing masks all day long (also impossible). 

I also teach. Pretending school is important for socializing is a fools errand. The kids at our school will have 25 minutes during lunch to “socialize” with 2 assigned students.  Other than that, it’s a death march to the sounds of “don’t touch that!”, “you’re too close!”, “single file lines!”, etc...

Right now, our building’s plan is nothing more than a daycare supervising online learning.  My kids took the “remote” option, at least my wife will be able to take them to places like the zoo or other field trips (social distancing of course). We’re pretty lucky.

21 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I also teach. Pretending school is important for socializing is a fools errand. The kids at our school will have 25 minutes during lunch to “socialize” with 2 assigned students.  Other than that, it’s a death march to the sounds of “don’t touch that!”, “you’re too close!”, “single file lines!”, etc...

Right now, our building’s plan is nothing more than a daycare supervising online learning.  My kids took the “remote” option, at least my wife will be able to take them to places like the zoo or other field trips (social distancing of course). We’re pretty lucky.

2 assigned students, that is interesting.  We did not do anything like that but I am 9-12.  

14 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

I work with the general public in a state where it is law that you have to wear masks inside public buildings. I still can't get adults to wear the damn things properly. God help the teachers who are expected to get kids to do it...40 hours a week.

We currently have our players wearing them at practice (until we get helmets, don't ask me why), and they sort of wear them but it is not great...and they can't stay away from each other.

29 minutes ago, teachercd said:

2 assigned students, that is interesting.  We did not do anything like that but I am 9-12.  

We have our cafeteria set up that we “contact trace” to no more than two other students.  We will try to let them pick their seats, but it’s middle school.  They will absolutely abhor their best friend in 2 weeks.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

We have our cafeteria set up that we “contact trace” to no more than two other students.  We will try to let them pick their seats, but it’s middle school.  They will absolutely abhor their best friend in 2 weeks.

Oh yeah, I did middle school for a long a$$ time...Boys smell and can't wait to be jackasses and girls can't wait to not be around them anymore.