Censorship

Social media and most of the print media told us Hunters laptop was Russian disinformation. Now we are hearing from Zuck the FBI told him that. I guess this is like a make up call for the Hillary email fiasco.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fbi-officials-slow-walked-hunter-biden-laptop-investigation-until-after-2020-election-whistleblowers

https://www.foxnews.com/media/mark-zuckerberg-tells-joe-rogan-fbi-warned-facebook-of-russian-propaganda-before-hunter-biden-laptop-story

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Maher went on, "Now look, let's not pu&&yfoot around this; he was selling the influence of his father, Joe Biden. I mean, most political sons do, but let's not pretend at least that was going on… so Hunter Biden's laptop was buried by the press. Even the head of Twitter Jack Dorsey said that was a mistake… So Sam Harris says it was appropriate for Twitter, and the heads of Big Tech, and the heads of journalistic organizations to feel that they were in the presence of something that is a once-in-a-lifetime moral emergency, meaning Trump. So he's saying it's okay to have a conspiracy, to get rid of somebody as bad as Trump."

"Is it okay to have a conspiracy to get rid of Trump?" Maher began. "They were talking about Hunter Biden's laptop, which was a story and now all the mainstream press has finally admitted it was a real story. It was a real laptop."

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.foxnews.com/us/columbia-students-react-college-ranked-worst-free-speech-campus

I am not sure who FIRE is and who the 45000 students were that they interviewed, but thought some of quotes were interesting.

"The Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression (FIRE) ranked Columbia last in its third annual College Free Speech Rankings, which surveyed nearly 45,000 students from more than 200 colleges. The Ivy League university scored a 9.91 out of 100."

"I think everyone here is very open-minded, and so I'm not really sure where that's coming from,"...

>> open minded to certain viewpoints. Other  viewpoints might be seen as offensive or oppressive or phobic or whatever.

However, Arianna, a senior at the Ivy League school said: "Of course people think they can't say things. I think people think they might be judged by the majority."

>>everyone filters what they say now. Fall in line and keep your mouth shut.

A freshman, Aarush, told Fox News: "I've heard some people with certain political views might not be able to express their opinions because it might be perceived as offensive." 

He also felt hate speech was unacceptable, but said "obviously you can say whatever you want, like, physically, but there's going to be social repercussions."

"People should just be more careful about what they say," he added.

>> thus they do not express their opinions or if they do, there are "Social repercussions". 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nic said:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/columbia-students-react-college-ranked-worst-free-speech-campus

I am not sure who FIRE is and who the 45000 students were that they interviewed, but thought some of quotes were interesting.

"The Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression (FIRE) ranked Columbia last in its third annual College Free Speech Rankings, which surveyed nearly 45,000 students from more than 200 colleges. The Ivy League university scored a 9.91 out of 100."

"I think everyone here is very open-minded, and so I'm not really sure where that's coming from,"...

>> open minded to certain viewpoints. Other  viewpoints might be seen as offensive or oppressive or phobic or whatever.

However, Arianna, a senior at the Ivy League school said: "Of course people think they can't say things. I think people think they might be judged by the majority."

A freshman, Aarush, told Fox News: "I've heard some people with certain political views might not be able to express their opinions because it might be perceived as offensive." 

He also felt hate speech was unacceptable, but said "obviously you can say whatever you want, like, physically, but there's going to be social repercussions."

>> thus they do not express their opinions or if they do, there are "Social repercussions". 

i judge people who say they are in favor of nazis, rape, murder, etc as bad people and give them appropriate social repercussions

• Plus1 4
30 minutes ago, nic said:

People being afraid of social repercussions has nothing to do with free speech. The fact that people are free to say whatever the hell they want, but then whoever is listening can say whatever the hell they want in response, is what free speech is. 

FIRE typically ranks schools for free speech issues based on policy language, public statements, and such. I'm not clicking your Fox News link, but if they are measuring free speech concerns by students who are afraid of social repercussions, then it is pretty weak reporting.

42 minutes ago, nic said:

Also, this is untrue. People filter themselves less than ever, and say stupid and offensive $h!t out in the open more than we have seen in a long, long time. But people are also getting called out more often for their BS (yes, a lot of the call-outs are hypersensitive and irrational as well, but free speech). 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, nic said:

So, when in America have people been able to just say whatever they want without social pushback from people who disagree?

I hear people say this about comedians. It’s not that long ago when comedians on tv couldn’t even say a swear word. 

• Plus1 1
On 9/27/2022 at 2:51 PM, Ulty said:

FIRE typically ranks schools for free speech issues based on policy language, public statements, and such. I'm not clicking your Fox News link, but if they are measuring free speech concerns by students who are afraid of social repercussions, then it is pretty weak reporting.

Also, this is untrue. People filter themselves less than ever, and say stupid and offensive $h!t out in the open more than we have seen in a long, long time. But people are also getting called out more often for their BS (yes, a lot of the call-outs are hypersensitive and irrational as well, but free speech). 

I am not sure what FIRE measured. The article didn’t say, but you seem to know and didn’t list social repercussions. That was just in a quote from a student at Columbia. I am sure Fox hand picked the quotes.

I will disagree about people filtering what they say. I see it at work all the time. Starts with “just between you and me” and after hearing the statements, there is no way they would say it to HR. In fact they sometimes admit they would not tell HR they disagree for fear of their job. Students in high school filter what they say too when the audience is such that what they express might get them in trouble. I hear it from kids all the time. It amazing at that age they don’t think adults in the next room are listening.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2022 at 3:42 PM, BigRedBuster said:

So, when in America have people been able to just say whatever they want without social pushback from people who disagree?

I hear people say this about comedians. It’s not that long ago when comedians on tv couldn’t even say a swear word. 

Ask Dave Chappelle. I actually hear comedians complaining not people complaining for them. I wonder how long Andrew Dice Clay would survive in today’s climate and he was from the 90s ….or before. 

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, RedDenver said:

People filtering what they say is not a 1st Amendment issue, which is what FIRE is concerned about and champions.

If they say it and it’s not slander or a threat or against a law and then lose their livelihood it is a problem. 

• Haha 2
  • TBH 2
2 hours ago, nic said:

If they say it and it’s not slander or a threat or against a law and then lose their livelihood it is a problem. 

Do you actually have examples of this happening at colleges and universities, or is this simply more hyperbolic hand-wringing over "cancel culture"?

As a matter of fact, faculty members ARE being warned/threatened to limit their speech, but it is predominantly coming from right-wing lawmakers and administrations. Florida is an example. Idaho is an example. Any state that is looking to ban "controversial topics" in the classroom is an example. But those are different examples than what Fox seems to be worried about.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1