Biden's 1st 100 days & his 1st Year legislative agenda

Biden's First 100 days  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What are the things Biden can do / should do his first 100 days?   Many things can be addressed by executive order (see  link below).

Other items will need to be enacted via working with Congress - a congress that very well will retain a GOP majority. 

With the GOP controlling the Senate, the first 2 years of a Biden presidency may not be as transformative as many would hope, other than

the removal of the cancer that is in the White House currently.  However, there is much Biden can do.  What is most important to you. 

https://prospect.org/day-one-agenda/277-policies-biden-need-not-ask-permission/

Ugh...so much damage to undo, so little time.

Seeing that Covid and the enivironment are basically national (and global) emergencies, there needs to be action taken and a strong agenda immediately. The other stuff on the list are all priorities to some extent, but if the Senate is going to block any significant legislation, I voted for reviewing and rolling back Trump's EOs (and Biden might have to govern via EO for a while if he doesn't have Senate support).

Long term, I voted for election reform and healthcare. Seeing the threats against democracy itself this year...that must be resolved. Environment also needs to be a longterm issue to be addressed, after first taking some triage actions to restore regulations.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

This could have been and still can be a transformative administration instead of merely a transitional admin as originally thought during the early part of the primaries.  However, I think the Dems will need to win the Senate and hold the House in order to make it so.

With that said, any positive change will seem as transformative after 4 years of dysfunction.   

Covid of course is the top of the 100 day agenda.  I also put election reform and reverse Trump's tax cuts for the wealthy.  Both are hot button items at this particular moment in time. 

For long term: 

Health Care  - covid has exposed this need even more than before. 

infrastructure - as a means to jump start the economy &  but also as a topic that both the Dems and the GOP can support. This would give Biden the opportunity to build support with both parties and hopefully open the door to more fruitful discussions on the

thornier items.

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don't think student loan forgiveness should happen. The evictions are far more important, and even if they extend the moratorium on evictions, those people still owe rent, and I'm sure a lot of them will never be able to pay it. I would rather the back rent get forgiven. 

We could do both. They aren't dependent on each other. In fact student loan forgiveness would make it easier for millions to afford their rent.

• Fire 1

Just now, RedDenver said:

We could do both. They aren't dependent on each other. In fact student loan forgiveness would make it easier for millions to afford their rent.

I'm fine with both but the eviction stuff should take precedent. There are plenty of people with student loans who aren't having trouble paying their rent.

• Plus1 1

I'm reading through this Ukraine guy's FB and the Ukrainians on there are baffled.

The mind is unstretched-71 million citizens of the USA wants this to lead the country for a long time. Why? What has changed in their lives for the better?

They are sure the Trump economy is good. It was kind of like under Yanukovych. My belief that these ideas are god on clay feet.

And what kind of vote will this be in America 40 days after the vote of the people?

• Julia Detkova Americans do not elect the president directly. By voting, they are scoring electoral points for their state, whose winning party sends delegates (electors) to final vote for the president in December. It used to be a formality and kept on traditions and honest words, but now under Trump, this stupid legacy of a slave system can become a weapon of a usurpator.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100006709539652

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I'm fine with both but the eviction stuff should take precedent. There are plenty of people with student loans who aren't having trouble paying their rent.

But there's plenty of people who have student loans that are having trouble paying their rent. Without knowing the numbers it's weird to imply one is happening more than the other.

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

But there's plenty of people who have student loans that are having trouble paying their rent. Without knowing the numbers it's weird to imply one is happening more than the other.

I didn't say nor imply one is happening more than the other. The evictions logically take precedent. People who have student loans they can't pay and also can't pay rent would prefer to have the back rent taken care of and a moratorium on evictions if they had to choose one or the other. Unless they're weird.

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I didn't say nor imply one is happening more than the other. The evictions logically take precedent. People who have student loans they can't pay and also can't pay rent would prefer to have the back rent taken care of and a moratorium on evictions if they had to choose one or the other. Unless they're weird.

But it just kicks the can down the road a few months and landlords go unpaid. Then we're right back where we are now. Cancelling student debt puts money into the economy.

8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

But it just kicks the can down the road a few months and landlords go unpaid. Then we're right back where we are now. Cancelling student debt puts money into the economy.

I'm not saying just extend the moratorium. I am saying also cancel the back rent. That is money these people owe, just like student loans. In fact it's worse than student loans because it's actually due right now and I think it may also be accruing late fees and interest. They aren't late on their student loans, unless they were already late before March and haven't amended that. Sure, if they're going to not pay off any of the rent ever it doesn't matter, but there are going to be some who could avoid eviction altogether if the money due was cancelled and the moratorium was extended to April and they're able to find a job soon.

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I'm not saying just extend the moratorium. I am saying also cancel the back rent. That is money these people owe, just like student loans. In fact it's worse than student loans because it's actually due right now and I think it may also be accruing late fees and interest. They aren't late on their student loans, unless they were already late before March and haven't amended that.

That's an interesting plan, but what do the landlords do? A moratorium means the landlords will get their money eventually (mostly), but cancelling back rent means the landlords can't even borrow against the eventual income.

The basic problem is that rent is due to private entities, but the student debt being cancelled is held by the federal government.

8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

That's an interesting plan, but what do the landlords do? A moratorium means the landlords will get their money eventually (mostly), but cancelling back rent means the landlords can't even borrow against the eventual income.

The basic problem is that rent is due to private entities, but the student debt being cancelled is held by the federal government.

The $ would go straight to the landlords from the government. In both scenarios the government is paying.

12 hours ago, Moiraine said:

The $ would go straight to the landlords from the government. In both scenarios the government is paying.

Ok, then I agree that government paid eviction prevention is a better plan right now than loan cancellation. But is that plan even under consideration? From what I've read, Biden can cancel student loan debt by EO whereas eviction prevention and government spending on it requires legislation through Congress.

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Ok, then I agree that government paid eviction prevention is a better plan right now than loan cancellation. But is that plan even under consideration? From what I've read, Biden can cancel student loan debt by EO whereas eviction prevention and government spending on it requires legislation through Congress.

Probably not. I just think it would be a better use of the $. And ya if that's the case they should do the one they can do.