Biden's 1st 100 days & his 1st Year legislative agenda

Biden's First 100 days  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Also anecdotal, but I know dozens of Canadians and they all are amazed at the stupidity of the US healthcare system and the ones who live here go back to Canada for treatment.

This is also my experience speaking with Canadians. I've heard this from French acquaintances, too. 

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Your articles don’t actually say what you think they say. Especially take a look at the last one. 

here is an example of the most common surgical procedure in the US and compare it to NHS and Canada. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/488173/cataract-surgery-waiting-time-elective-procedure-united-kingdom/

here is another study

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/aos.13439#aos13439-sec-0005-title

and here is Canada.  And just to be clear.  This wait time is just for the initial visit by the Ophthalmologist after getting referral from the PCP, not even talking about the actual surgery. 

In the US, a patient can see an ophthalmologist, get diagnosed with clinically significant cataract surgery and be on the table within 30 days.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

So instead of forgiving $1.37 trillion in student loan debt and giving a gigantic boost to the economy, we could let almost a third go into default, fiscally destroy a bunch of Americans, potentially crash the economy, and still lose $435 billion.

I get that people don't want someone else to get a good deal they themselves didn't get, but the student loan crisis isn't going away.

48 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

So instead of forgiving $1.37 trillion in student loan debt and giving a gigantic boost to the economy, we could let almost a third go into default, fiscally destroy a bunch of Americans, potentially crash the economy, and still lose $435 billion.

I get that people don't want someone else to get a good deal they themselves didn't get, but the student loan crisis isn't going away.

Good point here.

And I can't post it now but if you look at student loan debt over time you can see there was a huge increase right around 2008 as people were probably losing jobs and wanting to learn something new and maybe make some of their bills go away and have some extra funds coming in from the student loans. At the same time I think it became harder for high school grads to get jobs.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

When do we also forgive the car loan debt.  It’s roughly the same amount.  People need their cars and if they didn’t have to pay for them, it would allow more money into the economy. 

https://www.lendingtree.com/auto/debt-statistics/

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

When do we also forgive the car loan debt.  It’s roughly the same amount.  People need their cars and if they didn’t have to pay for them, it would allow more money into the economy. 

https://www.lendingtree.com/auto/debt-statistics/

People can return their cars or even declare bankruptcy to get relief from car loans. College loans are in a special class that cannot be returned and are very difficult to get discharged in bankruptcy.

Plus the government does not hold $1.37 trillion in car loans like they do for student loans.

However, I agree that car loans maybe one of the triggers of the next financial collapse like mortgages were in 2008.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

People can return their cars or even declare bankruptcy to get relief from car loans. College loans are in a special class that cannot be returned and are very difficult to get discharged in bankruptcy.

Plus the government does not hold $1.37 trillion in car loans like they do for student loans.

However, I agree that car loans maybe one of the triggers of the next financial collapse like mortgages were in 2008.

Ask Obama why they hold the student loans.  

And so instead of of just forgiving those loans,  Let’s work to change the BK laws and allow the bankruptcy courts to decide how it should be handled like virtually every other debt.   I advocated for this earlier.  At least there is a penalty associated for being financially loose, to put it mildly, with their decisions.  

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Ask Obama why they hold the student loans.  

And so instead of of just forgiving those loans,  Let’s work to change the BK laws and allow the bankruptcy courts to decide how it should be handled like virtually every other debt.   I advocated for this earlier.  At least there is a penalty associated for being financially loose, to put it mildly, with their decisions.  

Fixing bankruptcy law would be a start, but that doesn't really fix the underlying issue except by the tedious task of every individual going to court to get the loans forgiven, assuming they can get them forgiven. That doesn't help the economy or the tax-payers in any significant way like simply forgiving the loans would. The Fed pumped $2.3 trillion into the economy over just 6 weeks, so it's not like this is something we can't do. 

Another thing to take a look at is why college costs have skyrocketed compared to when Boomers went to college, so slow your roll on "financially loose".

Average Cost of College Has Jumped an Incredible 3,009% in 50 Years

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Fixing bankruptcy law would be a start, but that doesn't really fix the underlying issue except by the tedious task of every individual going to court to get the loans forgiven, assuming they can get them forgiven. That doesn't help the economy or the tax-payers in any significant way like simply forgiving the loans would. The Fed pumped $2.3 trillion into the economy over just 6 weeks, so it's not like this is something we can't do. 

Another thing to take a look at is why college costs have skyrocketed compared to when Boomers went to college, so slow your roll on "financially loose".

They are financially loose and I won’t slow my role.  People chose to take out the loans knowing the rules.   

and yes let’s take a look at why college is so much more expensive.  Go ahead and start with the access to all the easy loan money.  Colleges are not stupid.  So much more access to funds and prices magically raise.  

Go to CC for two years and state school for 2 years.  It would take an exception to not afford that with minimal loans.  

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I have zero interest in paying for someone’s $100,000 private liberal arts college degree loans when it could have been done for 1/4 the cost 

• Plus1 2