Biden's 1st 100 days & his 1st Year legislative agenda

Biden's First 100 days  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

It is sarcasm, but I don't understand why you think the funding source changes the message.

In an example from the original tweet:

"you shouldn't buy anyone eyeglasses, unless you buy everyone eyeglasses, and it is bad to buy everyone eyeglasses because you are buying eyeglasses for people that don't need them"

Why in the world should my tax dollars be used to purchase eyeglasses for people that have perfect vision and will never use them?

6 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

In an example from the original tweet:

"you shouldn't buy anyone eyeglasses, unless you buy everyone eyeglasses, and it is bad to buy everyone eyeglasses because you are buying eyeglasses for people that don't need them"

Why in the world should my tax dollars be used to purchase eyeglasses for people that have perfect vision and will never use them?

Yes exactly, that's the point of the tweet. It's pointing out the absurdity of those two statements taken together because then you'd never help anyone.

15 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I feel like this is laboring under a misunderstanding of what Biden will propose, and what a debt relief program may actually look like after negotiations through congress. We're not going to pay off all $1.5 trillion in debt, and likely if there's any kind of program it'll have earnings calculated into it, or relieve a portion of the payment, or lower interest rates, or any combination of those or other methods of relief. 

It's not just going to be a blank check handed out to people to cover the cost of their college. 

We only give that kind of relief to banks, or other entities that are too big to fail. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I feel like this is laboring under a misunderstanding of what Biden will propose, and what a debt relief program may actually look like after negotiations through congress. We're not going to pay off all $1.5 trillion in debt, and likely if there's any kind of program it'll have earnings calculated into it, or relieve a portion of the payment, or lower interest rates, or any combination of those or other methods of relief. 

It's not just going to be a blank check handed out to people to cover the cost of their college. 

We only give that kind of relief to banks, or other entities that are too big to fail. 

Thanks for the insight. Do you have a source that outlines that? (not poking) 

Everything I have read is based on forgiving all $1.3 trillion currently on the books. 

21 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Yes exactly, that's the point of the tweet. It's pointing out the absurdity of those two statements taken together because then you'd never help anyone.

But it was posted in the spirit of I should not complain about having my tax dollars used to forgive debt of countless others that should not have had that much debt, or don't need the bailout. I believe I should complain about it. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Thanks for the insight. Do you have a source that outlines that? (not poking) 

Everything I have read is based on forgiving all $1.3 trillion currently on the books. 

I don't think it's ever been an all-out debt forgiveness. Seems like those were Bernie's ideas, not Biden's.

Biden's higher education plan aims to ease student loan debt

Biden’s plan would forgive outstanding student debt for those who have responsibly paid it back for 20 years. Those working jobs in “national or community service” like teaching or non-profits, would receive $10,000 student debt relief annually for up to five years for each year that they stay in that vocational job..

People making more than $25,000 would direct pay 5 percent of their discretionary income toward their loan, which is half of the current 10 percent cap. Those who make $25,000 or less would not be expected to pay back the government and would not accrue interest. 

DREAMers, young undocumented immigrants who came to the U.S. as children, would also be eligible to receive a free two-year education. They would also receive financial aid, based on requirements already established under existing financial aid eligibility.

13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Good idea.  
Forgive the interest, make it 0% and extend the terms to 20-30 years.  Deferments for being unemployed.  Change BK laws to include student loans.  

No reason to forgive the debt. 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I don't think it's ever been an all-out debt forgiveness. Seems like those were Bernie's ideas, not Biden's.

Thanks Knapp. I could be much more receptive of something similar. Zero interest and extended terms with forgiveness only in extreme cases. But that is certainly not what has been batted around since Biden's victory. I would need direct confirmation from Biden if he goes the EO route.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

We just gave away a trillion dollars to big business with no plan to make them pay it back. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

so you were not for Covid relief?? 

And if that’s the rational for giving free money for everything else going forward, can’t wait for my direct deposit to pay off all my bills and get me a second home. :dunno

• Plus1 2
Just now, Archy1221 said:

so you were not for Covid relief?? 

And if that’s the rational for giving free money for everything else going forward, can’t wait for my direct deposit to pay off all my bills and get me a second home. :dunno

I've posted a portion of Biden's original plan. None of this nonsense applies to that discussion. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I've posted a portion of Biden's original plan. None of this nonsense applies to that discussion. 

You are the one who keeps bringing up Covid relief money to big business as a reason to forgive student loans not me.  I just respond to your silly argument.  If we are going to forgive some debt, why should there be winners and losers in the process?  Why is student loan debt more important to forgive than mortgage debt?  Than car debt? 

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

But it was posted in the spirit of I should not complain about having my tax dollars used to forgive debt of countless others that should not have had that much debt, or don't need the bailout. I believe I should complain about it. 

It was posted in the spirit of I don't want my tax dollars to help people because some of those people I don't think should be helped.

And as @knapplc has pointed out: we helped a whole bunch of people and businesses with covid relief even though many of them didn't need it.

Given that we have a student debt crisis and the warnings from the Fed that the economy is in trouble, I'm suggesting we could kill two birds with one stone for less than we spent on covid relief and WAY less than we spent on the bailouts in the Great Recession.

• Plus1 1