Stockholm Syndrome...?

thatguy

This game tomorrow really doesn't matter much at all. More than anything it's just really bad luck in having to play another Top 5/Top 10 team in a season where Frost is already on the hot seat.

The Illinois loss is drastically skewing the fan base towards the side of potentially wanting Frost gone.

But on the other hand, there are 8 more games to play after tomorrow's contest. It is possible that we win 5/8 starting with Michigan State, get to 7-5, win a bowl game, and finish 8-5.

So I don't have a big desire to talk about firing Frost even if we're blown out tomorrow because OU will probably blow out most of the teams on their schedule, and also because again, there are 5 more winnable games left on the schedule anyway.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

This game tomorrow really doesn't matter much at all. More than anything it's just really bad luck in having to play another Top 5/Top 10 team in a season where Frost is already on the hot seat.

The Illinois loss is drastically skewing the fan base towards the side of potentially wanting Frost gone.

But on the other hand, there are 8 more games to play after tomorrow's contest. It is possible that we win 5/8 starting with Michigan State, get to 7-5, win a bowl game, and finish 8-5.

So I don't have a big desire to talk about firing Frost even if we're blown out tomorrow because OU will probably blow out most of the teams on their schedule, and also because again, there are 5 more winnable games left on the schedule anyway.

Oklahoma may not be as dominant as the polls show them to be. They were in a dog fight with Tulane to open the season. But I agree with the rest of what you said, there is still plenty of season left and maybe, just maybe, this team develops and improves and can find wins against MSU, NW and Purdue, then maybe have an upset against Minnesota, or Wisconsin or Iowa and next thing you know we are at 6 wins and likely going bowling. Although the RedBox bowl being cancelled may be a problem for a 6-6 team going bowling. 

2 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

But I agree with the rest of what you said, there is still plenty of season left and maybe, just maybe, this team develops and improves...

Yes.

And if we don't - if we go 5-7 because we lost to Illinois - I don't think Frost and his staff get to hide behind the tough schedule. 5-7 shows no improvement in year 4.

So I think he'll really deserve the pitchforks if we wind up 5-7 again. INB4 the "there's still a lot of measurable improvement over the Riley years" comments. That pretty much shouldn't and doesn't matter in year 4; we're either a dumpster fire of a program or we're not. And 5-7 is dumpster fire-level by pretty much everybody's standards.

But again, there's so much football left to be played.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yes.

And if we don't - if we go 5-7 because we lost to Illinois - I don't think Frost and his staff get to hide behind the tough schedule. 5-7 shows no improvement in year 4.

So I think he'll really deserve the pitchforks if we wind up 5-7 again. INB4 the "there's still a lot of measurable improvement over the Riley years" comments. That pretty much shouldn't and doesn't matter in year 4; we're either a dumpster fire of a program or we're not. And 5-7 is dumpster fire-level by pretty much everybody's standards.

But again, there's so much football left to be played.

5-7 after this season and I figure what the heck let's ride one more year and see if we can get to 6 or 7 wins. Then if next year is another 4 or 5 win season, I am very content with letting the Athletic Department decide which direction we go.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Best RB talentwise/ potential is definitely Washington. Production was Zig. But the lack of depth the former staff left really created a huge hole. No Freshman was going to come in and blow the doors off with the offensive line that was left. 

Best WR I think Frost did recruit Wandale and Toure... you could make a case that Morgan was better, but he was a Senior who had maxed out his potential and I'm not really sure he was better than Toure.

Best Olineman, I think that's probably Jurgens. - 

Did Frost Offense look better year 1 or year 4? This offense would be much better with Farmer etc. on the OL still and Ziggy at RB. I am simply saying that us saying what a terrible rebuild Frost has to endure is a bit of a stretch. He hasnt restocked the cupboard in 4 years. 

• Plus1 5
4 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Did Frost Offense look better year 1 or year 4? This offense would be much better with Farmer etc. on the OL still and Ziggy at RB. I am simply saying that us saying what a terrible rebuild Frost has to endure is a bit of a stretch. He hasnt restocked the cupboard in 4 years. 

There wasn't any depth and those guys, although ended up being decent as we look back on their contributions, still didn't accomplish anything while they were here. When they were here we thought back to Burkhead and Helu and how we missed them. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Did Frost Offense look better year 1 or year 4? This offense would be much better with Farmer etc. on the OL still and Ziggy at RB.

Akron game got cancelled in year 1. First game was against Colorado, and compared to Riley's s*** show we looked like an offense reborn. Martinez threw for 75% and we put up 565 yards of total offense. He got hurt in that game, Masker plays against Troy and we lose that one. Then we played a good Michigan team in Ann Arbor and their defense embarrassed us.

But once Ozigbo started to light it up we were lookin so good on offense. We wound up 2nd in the B1G in offensive yards per game in 2018.

Can we rack up those kinds of yards this season? I kind of doubt it somehow because of a relative lack of experience at OL and RB...but we'll see.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

Akron game got cancelled in year 1. First game was against Colorado, and compared to Riley's s*** show we looked like an offense reborn. Martinez threw for 75% and we put up 565 yards of total offense. He got hurt in that game, Masker plays against Troy and we lose that one. Then we played a good Michigan team in Ann Arbor and their defense embarrassed us.

But once Ozigbo started to light it up we were lookin so good on offense. We wound up 2nd in the B1G in offensive yards per game in 2018.

Can we rack up those kinds of yards this season? I kind of doubt it somehow because of a relative lack of experience at OL and RB...but we'll see.

I am simply saying in year 4 we can stop with the "major rebuild" crap. You can use that excuse the first couple years but year 4 it needs to end. He won't be able to rebuild anything if he continues to lose and our recruiting will/is reflecting that. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Hedley Lamarr said:

I am simply saying in year 4 we can stop with the "major rebuild" crap. You can use that excuse the first couple years but year 4 it needs to end. He won't be able to rebuild anything if he continues to lose and our recruiting will/is reflecting that. 

Totally agree.

Because of the COVID rule, the guys that could still come back for next season could make us a pretty good team on offense but I predict a large portion of the fan base starts to become apathetic if we go 5-7 again this year.

I know I will.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I agree with this, but I think first you need to realize the undertaking of the rebuild. I think it was a big one, and just now you are starting to see some players making impacts and seeing some depth start to take place. The problem is this team is only as successful as it's quarterback and for four years that has been a huge issue, along with just not having the size on the offensive and defensive line. 

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Undone said:

Totally agree.

Because of the COVID rule, the guys that could still come back for next season could make us a pretty good team on offense but I predict a large portion of the fan base starts to become apathetic if we go 5-7 again this year.

I know I will.

I’m also a little concerned about next year’s defense. We lose Stille, Domann, Dismuke, and Williams. I’m not sure that CTB and Daniels would have much more to gain from another year in college and I wouldn’t be surprised if they made the jump, even if they don’t receive excellent draft grades.

I actually like the next man up on the DLine with Rogers, Riley, and Thomas. While I like the potential in the DB room, that’s where I am most concerned for next year until we see we have legit replacements.

17 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

I agree with this, but I think first you need to realize the undertaking of the rebuild. I think it was a big one, and just now you are starting to see some players making impacts and seeing some depth start to take place. The problem is this team is only as successful as it's quarterback and for four years that has been a huge issue, along with just not having the size on the offensive and defensive line. 

How many successful head coaches started out at the current place with 4 losing seasons? I am actually curious of this because it has been commonly passed around that year 3 is when you are supposed to see the jump in regards to if a coach is worth a darn. 

• Plus1 5
1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

How many successful head coaches started out at the current place with 4 losing seasons? I am actually curious of this because it has been commonly passed around that year 3 is when you are supposed to see the jump in regards to if a coach is worth a darn. 

Not 4 straight losing seasons, but 4 losing seasons out of his first 6 years, Frank Beamer and Virginia Tech.

3 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

How many year 3 coaches also had their entire spring, fall practice and game schedule blown up because of a pandemic?  I agree the results aren't where we want them to be, but last year has to be factored in to any discussion about what is happening.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 3