Oklahoma Play-by-Play

Mavric

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Tough to say because I am generally a big fan of going up to get the ball.  But I kind of think if he would have kept running another step or two he would have caught it.  Close to the end line though.

And another tidbit on these for me is that I'd much rather have Adrian putting these passes a bit high and away in the end zone rather than giving a defender a chance at picking them off.

In the past three games there hasn't been much that Martinez has even really done wrong. Everybody has said "can he get back to his Freshman year?" I'd say he's above that level currently.

Losing to Illinois just suuuuuuucks right now though.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Six blockers on the left side of the center.  That's a lot of clutter for the defense to try to sort through.

Interested to know what the follow-up is.  Perhaps Teddy slipping to the flat???

What's interesting to me is that Teddy is in a #46 jersey. Perhaps to keep him from having to report as eligible to the refs for a potential roll to the flat?

• Plus1 1
Just now, Undone said:

And another tidbit on these for me is that I'd much rather have Adrian putting these passes a bit high and away in the end zone rather than giving a defender a chance at picking them off.

In the past three games there hasn't been much that Martinez has even really done wrong. Everybody has said "can he get back to his Freshman year?" I'd say he's above that level currently.

Losing to Illinois just suuuuuuucks right now though.

So the question is ....

Did we coach him back up to the level he's playing at now?

Or...

Has he played at a fairly even level this whole time but the lack of playmakers around him the last two years led to less production and possibly trying to do too much?

Some people don't like either option but it pretty much has to be one or the other (or a combination of both, which some people REALLY wouldn't like).

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

What's interesting to me is that Teddy is in a #46 jersey. Perhaps to keep him from having to report as eligible to the refs for a potential roll to the flat?

"Reporting eligible" is only an NFL rule.  In college you have to be wearing an eligible number to be in an eligible position.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

For me @Mavric it feels like it's everything. I think his shoulder is finally fully healed. I think having the three bigger, more athletic receivers are a big boost.

But it also seems like he's got a great sense this season of when to tuck it and take the scramble yards and when to stay behind the LoS and look for the throw. This one gets magnified when you combine it with the taller receivers who can make big grabs downfield then also.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Undone said:

For me @Mavric it feels like it's everything. I think his shoulder is finally fully healed. I think having the three bigger, more athletic receivers are a big boost.

That's true.  I should have included that as a contributing factor as well.

Just now, Undone said:

But it also seems like he's got a great sense this season of when to tuck it and take the scramble yards and when to stay behind the LoS and look for the throw.

Which could/should be strongly attributed to coaching I would think.

Just now, Undone said:

This one gets magnified when you combine it with the taller receivers who can make big grabs downfield then also.

Which would imply that lack of those types of targets was a big factor in less production the last couple years.

• Plus1 1