I miss the Big 8 conference.

BIG8forever

The Big 8. We should never have agreed to anything with those greedy slimy texans.  Texas ruined us. They have never been a great football program, no where near the tradition of schools like CU, OU, Nebraska. The BIG 12 would have worked if Texas was not so damned greedy. Its a tragedy of Greek proportions. When I think of Texas, I think of the Miami convicts beating them 45-3 in the Cotton Bowl. That basically is the history of Texas football except for one memorable year in 2005. If we would have kept to the BIG 8 we would still be doing fine today. People might laugh, so what, the BIG 8 was special. The home of the option. You all remember, when you thought option football, anywhere in the US....BIG 8. The Option was college football for 30 years.  Big 8 for life. Texas and Texans suck

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 2

21 minutes ago, BIG8forever said:

The Big 8. We should never have agreed to anything with those greedy slimy texans.  Texas ruined us. They have never been a great football program, no where near the tradition of schools like CU, OU, Nebraska. The BIG 12 would have worked if Texas was not so damned greedy. Its a tragedy of Greek proportions. When I think of Texas, I think of the Miami convicts beating them 45-3 in the Cotton Bowl. That basically is the history of Texas football except for one memorable year in 2005. If we would have kept to the BIG 8 we would still be doing fine today. People might laugh, so what, the BIG 8 was special. The home of the option. You all remember, when you thought option football, anywhere in the US....BIG 8. The Option was college football for 30 years.  Big 8 for life. Texas and Texans suck

Is this a joke?

10 hours ago, BIG8forever said:

While you're at it, I'd love for you to wax nostalgic about the moon landing and days of affordable housing. Not here, though. Start a new thread for each. Thanks.

• Haha 4
14 hours ago, BIG8forever said:

If we would have kept to the BIG 8 we would still be doing fine today

Tell that to Iowa State and Kansas State, who spearheaded the push to bring Texas and the rest of the SWC refugees into the Big 8 to counteract Nebraska.

Those teams you miss so much stabbed us in the back when we got too big for their liking. The Big 8 was nothing special. It was always just business. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, GSG said:

An 8-team conference would be laughed at theses days 

True, but part of me wonders if we're nearing a point where technology will make it easier for conferences to create online networks (and skip the traditional cable and satellite TV providers). Might lead to smaller conferences being profitable again.

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

True, but part of me wonders if we're nearing a point where technology will make it easier for conferences to create online networks (and skip the traditional cable and satellite TV providers). Might lead to smaller conferences being profitable again.

Yeah, after I posted that I kinda got to thinking about a world where the FBS is it's own autonomous entity and the idea of 64 teams broken into 8 pods. Not really a conference but a division like the NFL. Or go further and use relegation like in soccer and have FBS-1 and FBS-2. Probably never happen in my lifetime though

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, GSG said:

Yeah, after I posted that I kinda got to thinking about a world where the FBS is it's own autonomous entity and the idea of 64 teams broken into 8 pods. Not really a conference but a division like the NFL. Or go further and use relegation like in soccer and have FBS-1 and FBS-2. Probably never happen in my lifetime though

I think we're closer to an FBS 1 / FBS 2 scenario than ever. There will be 133 teams in Division 1 next year. That's just not tenable, and there's no really good reason for the P5 to pretend they're on equal footing to the G5. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I think we're closer to an FBS 1 / FBS 2 scenario than ever. There will be 133 teams in Division 1 next year. That's just not tenable, and there's no really good reason for the P5 to pretend they're on equal footing to the G5. 

I hope you're right. I'm over the eSECpn influenced voting bulls#!t. Just make a coherent league or leagues and have a normal seeded playoff. 

• Plus1 1