Anatomy of a Punt Block

Cdog923

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's been pointed out by people a lot more knowledgeable in these things than us that they lined up wrong.  That doesn't mean they didn't line up wrong in the past too.

The OP on Reddit said, "As you can see here, this is the normal Nebraska punt protection for the right footed Daniel Cerni." My contention is that the shield formation isn't determined by who is punting but by where the ball is spotted. No matter who is punting; the two shield blocker are going to be short side of the field.

• Plus1 2

I think not staying on their blocks long enough by the linemen was really the biggest issue on the play. And that is why it's even more frustrating, because that to me is coaching.

It should be muscle memory and drilled into your head to plant, shuffle the guy sideways for a two count, and then release.

It seemed like our left side of the line just chipped and then ran upfield.

6 minutes ago, Gage County said:

The OP on Reddit said, "As you can see here, this is the normal Nebraska punt protection for the right footed Daniel Cerni." My contention is that the shield formation isn't determined by who is punting but by where the ball is spotted. No matter who is punting; the two shield blocker are going to be short side of the field.

Why would that matter?

It was also pointed out by Jay Moore who played on multiple punt teams at both Nebraska and the pros.

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think not staying on their blocks by the linemen was really the biggest issue on the play. And that is why it's even more frustrating, because that to me is coaching.

It should be muscle memory and drilled into your head to plant, shuffle the guy sideways for a two count, and then release.

It seemed like our left side of the line just chipped and then ran upfield.

They are coached to block, then release.  That's not a Nebraska thing, it's how it's coached everywhere.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

They are coached to block, then release.  That's not a Nebraska thing, it's how it's coached everywhere.

My sentence should have read "not staying on their blocks long enough. The guy in the Reddit write-up explained that they didn't hold for a two count. 

• Plus1 1