2022 Season Notes

Living in Tulsa since 1978, I've never been to Lincoln to watch the Huskers play volleyball.    Therefore, I've never understood how it became such a big 'thing'.  This article explains the fire behind John Cook and the sellout streak that is only rivaled by the football sell out streak.  Pretty amazing story about a pretty amazing coach.

Congrats on sellout # 300.   

https://huskerextra.com/news/volleyball/amie-just-over-20-years-ago-a-sharp-comment-sparked-husker-volleyballs-sellout-streak/article_ad774f22-612d-11ed-8b27-17c52f0fbd39.html?utm_source=onesignal&utm_medium=push&utm_campaign=2022-11-11-Husker-Volleyba

Gather ‘round. Pull up a chair. It’s time for history class with professor John Cook.

Lucky for you, students, he’s a darn good storyteller.

Turn your clocks back to 2000. This is where this all starts, the beginning before the beginning, so to speak. It was his first season at the helm after Terry Pettit retired, and he’s speaking to the Beef Club ahead of the team’s summer trip to China. During the question-and-answer session, someone inquired about who’d be footing the bill.

Cook’s answer apparently wasn’t sufficient enough, eliciting a response he still remembers 22 years later: “‘You know, if it wasn’t for football, you guys wouldn’t be able to go.’”

How Cook felt in the aftermath? He remembers that too.

“I walked out of there and made a vow. ‘Someday, we’re gonna shut that guy up.’

Message to the wise: don’t doubt John Cook. He dared NU fans in 2001 to sell out the Coliseum, and 23 seasons later, Nebraska is on the cusp of something special.

Nebraska’s 300th consecutive sellout is slated for Friday when No. 4 Nebraska hosts Iowa.

That’s not just a volleyball record. That’s the NCAA record for any women’s sport. And only a few men’s programs boast longer sellout streaks for their respective sports — Nebraska football being one of them.

“It’s pretty special,” Cook said. “I don’t think any volleyball team even dreams about doing that.”

This has been a season full of remarkable moments, and we’re not even close to the finish line.

Setting an NCAA attendance record for a regular-season volleyball match between NU and Creighton in the CHI Health Center. Cook’s 800th career victory. And now, sellout No. 300.

One of the more impressive things about the entire streak is how it survived the move across campus from the cozy 4,000-seat Coliseum to the 8,000-seat Devaney Center.

Settle in for storytime part two.

NU’s basketball programs had just announced they were moving from the Devaney Center to the yet-to-be-constructed Pinnacle Bank Arena. For a brief moment, the fate of Devaney was up in the air.

When asked of the prospect of moving the volleyball’s home venue from the Coliseum to Devaney, Cook turned up his nose.

“If it’s not good enough for basketball, why would it be good enough for volleyball?”

Then-NU athletic director Tom Osborne was pretty upset. Cook didn’t know that Osborne wanted to do whatever it took to make Devaney a premier venue for volleyball.

Mission accomplished and then some.

At the time, it was impossible to envision what’s played out.

In the Coliseum era, it was unfeasible for families and the general public to attend matches. So few tickets, no one willing to give them up. I know that firsthand.

In high school, I tried and tried and tried to get into the Coliseum to watch a match or two. I finagled my way into the Coliseum just once: my first credentialed event as a media member when I was a senior at Lincoln Southeast. My assignment: taking photographs for NCAA Tournament coverage in 2012.

Now, at Devaney, there’s actual student sections. It’s more accessible for families.

“We could have lost a whole generation,” Cook said.

But they didn’t.

Thanks to Cook’s dare, incredible foresight from Osborne, and dedicated fans, the sellout streak is alive and well.

As the song goes, there is no place like Nebraska.

Stepping foot into Devaney on a volleyball match day is living proof of that.

On 11/1/2022 at 8:03 PM, suh_fan93 said:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Living in Tulsa since 1978, I've never been to Lincoln to watch the Huskers play volleyball.    Therefore, I've never understood how it became such a big 'thing'.  This article explains the fire behind John Cook and the sellout streak that is only rivaled by the football sell out streak.  Pretty amazing story about a pretty amazing coach.

Congrats on sellout # 300.   

https://huskerextra.com/news/volleyball/amie-just-over-20-years-ago-a-sharp-comment-sparked-husker-volleyballs-sellout-streak/article_ad774f22-612d-11ed-8b27-17c52f0fbd39.html?utm_source=onesignal&utm_medium=push&utm_campaign=2022-11-11-Husker-Volleyba

Do some reading on Terry Pettit and how he built volleyball in Nebraska in the 80s. Not just the Huskers.  But, Nebraska high school volleyball.  

We have some great HS volleyball here and it all started with him and it’s continued to feed up through the Huskers.