NBA 2023-24

5 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

We all have our own list I’m sure. Which players/officials do you think he’s suggesting?

In this case, Jokic was getting calls that perhaps a rookie like Trayce Jackson-Davis would never get. Lot of ticky tacky hand checks and stuff. The ESPN announcers noticed, too.

I don't know Kerr's history with certain officials, but some crews do call games very differently. Our own Chris Paul used to sell fouls like Daniel Day Lewis. 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In this case, Jokic was getting calls that perhaps a rookie like Trayce Jackson-Davis would never get. Lot of ticky tacky hand checks and stuff. The ESPN announcers noticed, too.

I don't know Kerr's history with certain officials, but some crews do call games very differently. Our own Chris Paul used to sell fouls like Daniel Day Lewis. 

I agree that there is some inconsistency with how stars are officiated. I will say that as a Nuggets fan, there seems to be a league wide consensus to beat up jokic on a nightly basis. Lots of grabbing, and body checking as he comes off flare screens or short rolls. The whistle he has gotten this year has been ridiculously bad. He was averaging less than 6 FTA a game before yesterday. The Warriors without draymond were being physical with him and put the burden on the refs to call fouls…which they did weirdly. 

I personally didn’t like the game either with that many free throws. But you have to adjust to how the game is being called. Just a few days before the nuggets got 6 FTA for the entire game…a team that lives in the paint. 

Embiid and Giannis have shot 30 FTs multiple games this year. 

TL;DR, I agree with the overall point Kerr made…but find it funny that Jokic is now the poster child after last nights complete aberration for him. He is not the foul merchant that other guys are in the league and generally gets a pretty poor whistle. 

• TBH 1
10 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't know Kerr's history with certain officials, but some crews do call games very differently. Our own Chris Paul used to sell fouls like Daniel Day Lewis

And if Chris Paul is playing in a game ref'd by Scott Foster it's going to be a very bad day for Chris.

Refs are not great, they do call games differently, even mid-game the change how they officiate games. I'll use an easy example for this, prior to this year, watch games where Draymond got one Tech. Countless games he would/should have gotten a second tech but the refs didn't give him one. He's an easy one since he has so many, but most 'star' players and coaches are given carte blanche after getting their first tech. Refereeing in the NBA is wildly inconsistent from crew to crew and game to game from the same crew. It's hard to watch as a fan seeing it. I don't know how you fix it though. These are the best of the best players, playing faster than most realize and then selling minimal contact. I've said this about soccer and I'll say this about the NBA, you can't fix the selling of contact during live play. What needs to happen is after every game, independent panel of referees to watch the game, from all the angles and if a pre-determined percentage see a blatant selling of a foul assess a tech/yellow card to that player. For example, have 10 independent refs watch the game and if 7 or more see a flop, player gets a tech, if it's 6 or less, no tech retro applied. Follow the same accumulation rules about suspension. Once a player gets suspended a game or two from this, players will stop selling minimal contact and games (in theory) would be easier to ref. This won't eliminate the bias of a Scott Foster or others, but hopefully will help more become like Tony Brothers.

1 hour ago, Madcows said:

And if Chris Paul is playing in a game ref'd by Scott Foster it's going to be a very bad day for Chris.

Refs are not great, they do call games differently, even mid-game the change how they officiate games. I'll use an easy example for this, prior to this year, watch games where Draymond got one Tech. Countless games he would/should have gotten a second tech but the refs didn't give him one. He's an easy one since he has so many, but most 'star' players and coaches are given carte blanche after getting their first tech. Refereeing in the NBA is wildly inconsistent from crew to crew and game to game from the same crew. It's hard to watch as a fan seeing it. I don't know how you fix it though. These are the best of the best players, playing faster than most realize and then selling minimal contact. I've said this about soccer and I'll say this about the NBA, you can't fix the selling of contact during live play. What needs to happen is after every game, independent panel of referees to watch the game, from all the angles and if a pre-determined percentage see a blatant selling of a foul assess a tech/yellow card to that player. For example, have 10 independent refs watch the game and if 7 or more see a flop, player gets a tech, if it's 6 or less, no tech retro applied. Follow the same accumulation rules about suspension. Once a player gets suspended a game or two from this, players will stop selling minimal contact and games (in theory) would be easier to ref. This won't eliminate the bias of a Scott Foster or others, but hopefully will help more become like Tony Brothers.

Funny enough, Tony Brothers is Jokic’s Scott Foster. They do not like each other 

Luka Doncic leads the NBA in points.  Total points scored in NBA.

PPG (points per game night)

Embiid 35.0

Doncic 33.7

Isn't that awesome ??!

By the way, the NBA doesn't want anyone getting near Embiid or you will get a foul called on you.  He must go to the free throw line.  He must get points.  The league also loves to help out Giannis and Durrant.  

Embiid is averaging 10.3 points a night made at the charity stripe, on 11.6 attempts.

Giannis is averaging 11.4 shot attempts from the free throw line.

Luka is getting 8.5 attempts per game.

Jokic is getting 6.2 attempts per game.

All I am saying is, the whistle blows at times, it really benefits some players production, and it helps a team out when trailing.....

30 minutes ago, admo said:

Luka Doncic leads the NBA in points.  Total points scored in NBA.

PPG (points per game night)

Embiid 35.0

Doncic 33.7

Isn't that awesome ??!

By the way, the NBA doesn't want anyone getting near Embiid or you will get a foul called on you.  He must go to the free throw line.  He must get points.  The league also loves to help out Giannis and Durrant.  

Embiid is averaging 10.3 points a night made at the charity stripe, on 11.6 attempts.

Giannis is averaging 11.4 shot attempts from the free throw line.

Luka is getting 8.5 attempts per game.

Jokic is getting 6.2 attempts per game.

All I am saying is, the whistle blows at times, it really benefits some players production, and it helps a team out when trailing.....

Embiid is getting the Harden treatment from 2-3 years ago.

• Plus1 1

On 12/26/2023 at 10:59 PM, DevoHusker said:

I laughed so hard with so much appreciation !!!

This should be played on TNT, ESPN, NBA TV, etc,.  every day until everyone understands. 

You can't run with the ball.  You can't carry it.  You have to dribble.  But not twice.  You can't walk while holding it either.  

Otherwise we are just doing exercises out here. For entertainment.  And anybody can do that. 

Seriously, anybody can.  Male. Female.  Age doesn't matter.  Young or Old.  Just go to a gym and give someone a ball to carry a few steps.  While they do some curls or pushups.  It's that easy.

• TBH 1
20 minutes ago, admo said:

I laughed so hard with so much appreciation !!!

This should be played on TNT, ESPN, NBA TV, etc,.  every day until everyone understands. 

You can't run with the ball.  You can't carry it.  You have to dribble.  But not twice.  You can't walk while holding it either.  

Otherwise we are just doing exercises out here. For entertainment.  And anybody can do that. 

Seriously, anybody can.  Male. Female.  Age doesn't matter.  Young or Old.  Just go to a gym and give someone a ball to carry a few steps.  While they do some curls or pushups.  It's that easy.

I laughed as well. Especially since it is so realistic 

• Plus1 1