Northwestern Play-by-Play

Mavric

15 minutes ago, admo said:

The ILB should recognize the TE running a crossing route.  It is not a run, so stick with him.  In fact, he is within 5 yards and can just bump him to disrupt the play for a second or two. 

It was an RPO, correct?  So, how does the ILB know it's not a run till the QB pulls the ball and looks down field?

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It was an RPO, correct?  So, how does the ILB know it's not a run till the QB pulls the ball and looks down field?

Simple.  You are now a 3 year Starter.  You been on the field before. You watch Film.  You play in the Big Ten.  You study the opponents.  You don't over pursue and have a brain fart.  And you cannot guess or expect a Safety to cover a 10 yard crossing route, unless it is coached that way. 

He should have bumped him, because he is too far away to get involved with tackling anyone on the far side.

31 minutes ago, admo said:

Easy.  Its recognition, assignment and responsibility.

NW: Rollout pass play - 1 goes low and 1 goes high.  Take your pick.

Neb: The edge should recognize the play occurring and stick with the underneath man running the route (H-Back). 

The ILB should recognize the TE running a crossing route.  It is not a run, so stick with him.  In fact, he is within 5 yards and can just bump him to disrupt the play for a second or two.  

Iowa, Wisconsin, etc, would do that to Nebraska if we ran this exact play.  

Eh, that sounds easy but I'm not sure it would really work like that.  Now you have seven/eight defenders playing pass first.  You'd get torched on the run doing it that way.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Eh, that sounds easy but I'm not sure it would really work like that.  Now you have seven/eight defenders playing pass first.  You'd get torched on the run doing it that way.

You may be right.  I could be wrong.

I think the defense has seen this play before going to Ireland, and they blew it.

6 minutes ago, admo said:

You may be right.  I could be wrong.

I think the defense has seen this play before going to Ireland, and they blew it.

I think Farmer is the only one who really blew it.  He gets hung up trying to decide whether to cover the deeper guy or the shallow guy.  I don't know what his rule is but they basically ran two verticals on that side so I would think both defenders have to run with the verticals.  You give up the shorter pass and rally to the ball.

But even if he does that that that still leaves the crosser unaccounted for.  No was Reimer can do anything on that - he has to attack the RB in case he gets the handoff.  It's possible that Henrich could more slow-play it from the backside ILB spot then drop to coverage faster but that's a hard to do.  We already only have six box defenders and they have six blockers plus two runners.  I don't know how you could commit any less than the six box defenders to the run until you absolutely know it's pass.

As for the EDGE, I think he has to pressure the QB on the rollout.  If he doesn't the QB either has all day to throw or can take of running with no one else home.

Just a really nice scheme by NW.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I think Farmer is the only one who really blew it.  He gets hung up trying to decide whether to cover the deeper guy or the shallow guy.  I don't know what his rule is but they basically ran two verticals on that side so I would think both defenders have to run with the verticals.  You give up the shorter pass and rally to the ball.

But even if he does that that that still leaves the crosser unaccounted for.  No was Reimer can do anything on that - he has to attack the RB in case he gets the handoff.  It's possible that Henrich could more slow-play it from the backside ILB spot then drop to coverage faster but that's a hard to do.  We already only have six box defenders and they have six blockers plus two runners.  I don't know how you could commit any less than the six box defenders to the run until you absolutely know it's pass.

As for the EDGE, I think he has to pressure the QB on the rollout.  If he doesn't the QB either has all day to throw or can take of running with no one else home.

Just a really nice scheme by NW.

I think everything you just said there, is fair.  

And it is a nice scheme by NW.

But.... chuckleshuffle

If they see a weak spot in their film session, with our defense having certain tendencies, and see how to attack it with a "hi-low" pass play option in the flat..... then we should see that flaw with us too (coaching defensively).  

I know, I know... Chins defense will give it up as long as you keep the play in front of you.... no matter how many yards until the red zone where the field shrinks.

87 snaps is a lot to ask out of your defense.  This is one specific play (IMHO) that we have seen so many times, you have to know how to defend it better by now.  The chains move, the clock keeps ticking (remember Minnesota??).  

I agree to send the Edge after the QB hardcore, if he is fast and disruptive, like Micah Parsons.  If he is not, he needs to be more disciplined, smart, and less gung-ho reactive.  

And I still feel like the ILB could have bumped the dude and still be ready to make a play (tackle attempt on a run).  

Just now, admo said:

If they see a weak spot in their film session, with our defense having certain tendencies, and see how to attack it with a "hi-low" pass play option in the flat..... then we should see that flaw with us too (coaching defensively).  

I agree.  But I don't know what you could do differently without sacrificing just as much on the other end.  If Reimer hesitates they might run around left end for the same yardage.

You just can't take away everything.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

NW did a nice job flooding the side zone.  Our ILBs really bit on the play-action, leaving five DBs to cover four WR.  But all four WRs were to the right.  Pretty tough to pick up everyone.

This is a variation of Y Cross, which is a combo of Flood & Bubble Y Over (Y is flipped here).   There's a reason Verticals & Flood are go to's vs C3.  

The rolled up S (Brown?) should be getting depth with the #2 receiver (Y) & typically the OLB would have the flat (H-back) with the ILB climbing to the over.  But, they are all put in conflict and in no man's land here.  

This is a nice play design with NW motioning in a #3 receiver to the flat to complete Flood & bringing the Z receiver across on an Over to convert it to Cross.  Typically Cross lacks the flat receiver (#3) & Flood lacks the play action away.  Like I said, nice design, poorly defended.  When in doubt, get deep, & rally as somebody stated.