Northwestern Play-by-Play

Mavric

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Rewatching these plays reinforces how bad of an RB he is.  I'm to the point where I wish someone else was in for these situations.  Would Grant be our next largest back?  Keep him in.

I wonder what his conversion percentage is on goal-to-go?  Not very high.

• Plus1 2
39 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Two things about the play in the second tweet.

A). The left guard does absolutely nothing.  He doesn't fire off and doesn't engage anyone.

and

B). Why the hell wouldn't the RB go slightly more left where there's room and very well might score?  Instead, he just lowers his head and runs into the pile.

Yant doesn't have good vision in the backfield and has poor instincts. Same as last season. He doesn't see holes and cut back lanes. Like you said, he takes a step left and he's one-on-one with a safety half his size who he's going to truck into the end zone.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, GSG said:

WTF was Vokolek doing on that GL play? He just kinda brushes past one guy and then stands there 

Which reminds me, can someone find the endzone shot of Northwestern's last touchdown?

The game is on the line, the goal line defense couldn't be more simple, the ball is definitely going to Hull, and the players don't even make eye contact with him. 

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He's our second largest back at 215.  Maybe he would be better at the goal line.  

He makes the most sense to me - I think Yant is good, but he just doesn't have a feel for short yardage despite his size. Grant showed some good fight in short yardage, but doesn't have the power to take on an LB head to head, he's got to scrape by him instead of going through. Ervin should be a good balance of size and quickness.

One the one hand the 1st & 2nd down plays didn't get good execution. But on the other hand Frost has (deservedly) taken a lot of flak for not pounding the rock enough inside the 10.

So like, at least we were trying to use power. We did slowly get the ball closer to the goal line with power running plays and then finally got it in the end zone.

I'm definitely seeing the glass as 'half full' with the offensive performance in that game and I think the called fumble by Garcia Castaneda was ultimately the biggest play of the game. If that drive gets a FG or a TD, we're probably walking away with the 'W.'

But, it sucks to have another loss come down to turnovers (that play) and special teams (the onside kick debacle).

• Plus1 1
Just now, Undone said:

One the one hand the 1st & 2nd down plays didn't get good execution. But on the other hand Frost has (deservedly) taken a lot of flak for not pounding the rock enough inside the 10.

So like, at least we were trying to use power. We did slowly get the ball closer to the goal line with power running plays and then finally got it in the end zone.

Definitely agree with this.  People will complain about whatever if the results are bad.  If we throw the ball, we're being "too cute" and we should have just powered it in.  If we would have gotten stopped on fourth down, we would have been stupid for trying to run it right up the middle when they kept stopping it.

Moral of the story, people will complain because they know whatever we didn't do would have worked.

Just now, Undone said:

I'm definitely seeing the glass as 'half full' with the offensive performance in that game and I think the called fumble by Garcia Castaneda was ultimately the biggest play of the game. If that drive gets a FG or a TD, we're probably walking away with the 'W.'

Agree with this.  I know people don't like the "bad luck" excuse but this was just pretty bad luck.  If that goes any number of different ways - his knee goes down a touch quicker, the defender isn't able to get right to the ball, the call is reversed by replay, etc. - that makes a HUGE difference in the game, both from a momentum standpoint and, more than likely, the score.

Just now, Undone said:

But, it sucks to have another loss come down to turnovers (that play) and special teams (the onside kick debacle).

winnie-the-pooh-tigger.gif

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Undone said:

There's a lot to be excited about with WR and QB play. In the first half we were moving the ball really well (outside of the conservative calls on our own 1 yard line). Loved the passing concepts. It's probably hard to see on tv, but I've never seen so many guys getting wide open after their breaks, and Casey is an all around upgrade in the passing game. Love the way he climbs the pocket. RBs had excellent blizt pick up as well.

OL did ok in pass pro, but there's still too many run blocking issues... That is going to be our downfall this season.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

It's probably hard to see on tv, but I've never seen so many guys getting wide open after their breaks, and Casey is an all around upgrade in the passing game. Love the way he climbs the pocket. RBs had excellent blizt pick up as well.

Love hearing this.

I was really impressed with the way Grant picked up blocks and I also think we'll be a better offense by just picking one guy and going with him. He's clearly the best in the group and I'm just hoping he doesn't get hurt.

Casey's ability to keep his eyes downfield and find a target is pretty exciting.

4 minutes ago, Undone said:

Love hearing this.

I was really impressed with the way Grant picked up blocks and I also think we'll be a better offense by just picking one guy and going with him. He's clearly the best in the group and I'm just hoping he doesn't get hurt.

Casey's ability to keep his eyes downfield and find a target is pretty exciting.

I loved 2AM but he isn't making those 2 crazy back yard football plays that Casey did, and he's probably picking up another sack or 2. Casey's vision and pocket presence makes up for the lack of speed and size compared to Adrian.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

NW did a nice job flooding the side zone.  Our ILBs really bit on the play-action, leaving five DBs to cover four WR.  But all four WRs were to the right.  Pretty tough to pick up everyone.

Easy.  Its recognition, assignment and responsibility.

NW: Rollout pass play - 1 goes low and 1 goes high.  Take your pick.

Neb: The edge should recognize the play occurring and stick with the underneath man running the route (H-Back). 

The ILB should recognize the TE running a crossing route.  It is not a run, so stick with him.  In fact, he is within 5 yards and can just bump him to disrupt the play for a second or two.  

Iowa, Wisconsin, etc, would do that to Nebraska if we ran this exact play.