Northwestern Play-by-Play

Mavric

Just now, Mavric said:

As I was still trying to match numbers with names, I was wondering who that WR was out there with the shifty moves. 

Then was pleasantly surprised to find out it was Grant.  If we can get him some space to run he will be dangerous.

I just like how the head ref is running around trying to not let us snap it until they had their chance to sub and then falls down. I don't know why he was running up to Thompson at that point, the ref over the ball had already cleared it. They hit the ground a few times during the game, gotta get back in game shape!

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

We could just not get any movement on their front four.  We didn't really miss any blocks here but they just kept getting more guys there to make a pile.

That is one thing NW is traditionally good at, just mucking up the middle. I would say Vokolek missed his block, but it was a really difficult one - the DL played it well just chasing after Teddy to find the ball.

3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I just like how the head ref is running around trying to not let us snap it until they had their chance to sub and then falls down. I don't know why he was running up to Thompson at that point, the ref over the ball had already cleared it. They hit the ground a few times during the game, gotta get back in game shape!

I saw that live and was chuckling. 

Just now, Husker in WI said:

That is one thing NW is traditionally good at, just mucking up the middle. I would say Vokolek missed his block, but it was a really difficult one - the DL played it well just chasing after Teddy to find the ball.

Yeah, I guess I was more looking at the play-side guys.  Good catch.  That is a tough block for Vokolek.  Not sure that cost us much.

On 8/29/2022 at 11:25 AM, Mavric said:

Yeah, I don't think he was bad.  But he did miss several throws by a ways.  Palmer had a step on a deep post that could have been a TD and Thompson underthrew him.  The next time Palmer had a step again on a similar route and Thompson overthrew him badly.  Then there were a couple of other shorter routes that he missed badly on as well.

I'm also curious about the drops people are complain about.  Palmer had one on the first drive.  I don't remember much other than that.  There were a couple of other throws that *could* have been caught but they were pretty contested.  Which isn't a drop.

I totally agree on your other points.  That fumble that shouldn't have been was absolutely HUGE.  As big as the stupid onside kick - in almost the same situation (up by 11).  And the missed PI was bad as well.

I know bad breaks happen all the time but they seem worse when we're always coming up just short.

Eh, Casey threw some catchable balls.  Palmer said he was a dawg.... sure didn't back it up by making a catch IMO.  He left 2 plays on the field that were catchable.  He know it, Mickey knows it, I know it.  

Casteneda went and got the ball.  So did Vokolek, Washington, Alante and Belt.  There was likely a reason Palmer got some bench.  Boerkicher, Oliver, Liewer did not play like they can, and it showed too.

Ton of credit to Thompson here.  And Vokolek.  I really didn't think he caught it.

Pretty sure this play wasn't designed to go weak-side as we pulled another OL to the overload side.  Looks like he didn't see a hole and cut back.  Not that there was much to cut back to.

Pointed this out in another thread but this isn't the greatest throw by Thompson.  High over the middle is a bad place to be, for the ball and the receiver.

Good job by Palmer going to get it.

Really nice blitz pickup of both LBs.  Grant not afraid to stick his nose in there.