ASU QB Sam Keller to transfer to NU?

I guess you're right. I'd be happy to land Keller, or at least, happy if Keller doesn't go to another Big 12 school. I'd just always envisioned grooming Ganz (or maybe Hildebrand) as our next QB...logical line of succession, suddenly interrupted by a transfer? Still, you're right in that he has a lot of talent...too much to resist, perhaps.

I guess you're right. I'd be happy to land Keller, or at least, happy if Keller doesn't go to another Big 12 school. I'd just always envisioned grooming Ganz (or maybe Hildebrand) as our next QB...logical line of succession, suddenly interrupted by a transfer? Still, you're right in that he has a lot of talent...too much to resist, perhaps.

It would be great to groom Ganz for the position, but I don't know if he has the skills to be a starter at Nebraska. I love Ganz, don't get me wrong, but I would rather have a proven winner than an unproven guy.

This mightve been mentinoed already, but remember that Sam-I-Am is going to be coming to Lincoln with a very ME-1st attitude. He has no choice - he has 1 objective in mind - be the starter and propel himself into the draft.

So is allowing a guy to have a season of "making the video" for his NFL-draft highlight tape, possibly at the expense of the team actually acceptable to Husker Nation??? I say no.

Source: ASU's Keller could be headed to Nebraska

By Mark Schlabach

ESPN.com

Arizona State quarterback Sam Keller, who was named the Sun Devils' starting quarterback on Friday only to lose the job to sophomore Rudy Carpenter two days later, has been told by coach Dirk Koetter that he will be released from his scholarship, a source close to Keller said Monday night.

According to the source, the senior is seriously considering transferring to one of three schools, and Nebraska might currently be his top choice. The source said the quarterback could remain at Arizona State, but that the possibility of returning to the Sun Devils team "seems unlikely."

Keller's mother, Melissa Sanders, told ESPN.com's Joe Schad late Monday night that an official announcement was not likely until Thursday. But on Tuesday morning, Schad reported that Nebraska coaches had discussed Keller's pending arrival and that Nebraska quarterbacks had been briefed on the decision.

Mike Keller, the quarterback's father, is a former professional football player and knows Nebraska coach Bill Callahan. Keller would have one season of eligibility left and would succeed senior Zac Taylor as Nebraska's starting QB in 2007.

The Lincoln (Neb.) Journal Star reported on its Web site Monday night that two sources close to the Cornhuskers program said Nebraska offensive coordinator Jay Norvell had phoned the team's quarterbacks to inform them of the coaches' intent to bring Keller aboard. One of the sources, however, said "it's not a done deal."

The newspaper also reported that Mike Keller said his son had been released from his scholarship by Arizona State.

Keller, who started seven games for Arizona State last season before breaking his thumb, would have to sit out this coming season under NCAA transfer rules if he decides to leave the Sun Devils for another Division I-A program. He would have one season of eligibility remaining in 2007.

Keller was one of the top-rated passers in Division I-A in 2005 before he was hurt, completing 58 percent of his passes (155-for-264) for 2,165 yards with 20 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

Carpenter rallied the Sun Devils to a 4-1 record in their last five games last season and was named MVP of Arizona State's 45-40 victory over Rutgers in the Insight Bowl. He led Division I-A in pass efficiency by completing 68 percent of his passes (156-for-228) for 2,273 yards with 17 touchdowns and only two interceptions.

The players were involved in one of the most intense position battles in college football during preseason camp. Koetter announced Keller would be the team's starting quarterback Friday, but then abruptly reversed his decision two days later after meeting with the school's athletic director and a group of team leaders.

"It's simple. I made a mistake on the quarterback situation and I'm changing my mind," Koetter said after Sunday's practice.

Keller, from Danville, Calif., would seem to be a perfect fit for Nebraska coach Bill Callahan's West Coast offense. Cornhuskers starter Zac Taylor is a senior, and highly regarded freshman Harrison Beck went AWOL during Nebraska's preseason camp and transferred to North Carolina State.

If Keller leaves Arizona State, the Sun Devils would have only one other scholarship quarterback on their roster: freshman Danny Sullivan.

Mark Schlabach covers college football and men's college basketball for ESPN.com. You can contact him at schlabachma@yahoo.com. Joe Schad covers college football for ESPN.

This mightve been mentinoed already, but remember that Sam-I-Am is going to be coming to Lincoln with a very ME-1st attitude. He has no choice - he has 1 objective in mind - be the starter and propel himself into the draft.

So is allowing a guy to have a season of "making the video" for his NFL-draft highlight tape, possibly at the expense of the team actually acceptable to Husker Nation??? I say no.

True, but I'm sure BC and Co. will make very clear to this kid that he has to earn a starting spot.

If Keller trusts BC enough with his professional future to forgo attending a I-AA school and sit out a year, he'll listen to BC talk about the importance of leadership - something BC believes strongly about. I'm sure BC will encourage Keller to watch how Taylor goes about his business.

If he comes here, Keller knows he's got one chance to get it right. I imagine he'll be a model citizen and teammate.

I have faith in Ganz.

I don't. Not in the least.

:yeah

Not until he shows us something.

If Keller wants to come here, awesome. As good as I think Taylor is, Keller may be as good or better. There would be no discernable drop-off at QB next year. Hildebrand, Ganz and Witt will still be there waiting in '08.