Michigan and Harbaugh under NCAA investigation

Toe

On 1/11/2024 at 3:45 PM, RedDenver said:

No, teams have a guy or two watching the sidelines during the game. I'm talking about a dedicated team working on it year-round. Since hacking into computer systems is actually illegal, they'll need to think outside the box: pay players on other teams to give them the signals, playbook, etc.

Why not use AI? Feed it all the legal footage you can from all prior seasons and any public footage from the current season and then watch the other sidelines during the game and have AI help predict the signals. Hire the AI geeks from the school to run it on game day. They would love it and per the NCAA rules that would all be legal. 

We need helmet communications.

16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Again, that wouldn't fix this issue.  Unless teams completely change how they're doing things.

It seems to work for the NFL. Do what they do.  Is it because teams cannot afford it? Teams not being able to afford scouts is the whole reason advanced scouting rules still exist.

Just now, nic said:

It seems to work for the NFL. Do what they do.  Is it because teams cannot afford it? Teams not being able to afford scouts is the whole reason advanced scouting rules still exist.

It's because teams in the NFL aren't doing anything close to what college teams are doing.

In the NFL one player has a speaker in their helmet to hear calls from the coaches.  Those communications are cut of at a certain point on the play clock (20 seconds?).  So one player gets the call and relays it to all the other players.  Offenses are often doing this in the huddle.

In college (widely), they are lining up then looking to the sideline for signals as to what to do.  All players are getting those signals.  But if only one player has the speaker, that doesn't get the same message to all the other players.  And they wouldn't have nearly as much time to get to the line and do this if they used the NFL rules.

So unless you are going to allow all players to have a speaker and allow those communications all the way until the ball is snapped, it's not going to fix the issue.  Unless teams go away from what they are doing now, which seems highly unlikely.

• TBH 2

17 hours ago, Mavric said:

It's because teams in the NFL aren't doing anything close to what college teams are doing.

In the NFL one player has a speaker in their helmet to hear calls from the coaches.  Those communications are cut of at a certain point on the play clock (20 seconds?).  So one player gets the call and relays it to all the other players.  Offenses are often doing this in the huddle.

In college (widely), they are lining up then looking to the sideline for signals as to what to do.  All players are getting those signals.  But if only one player has the speaker, that doesn't get the same message to all the other players.  And they wouldn't have nearly as much time to get to the line and do this if they used the NFL rules.

So unless you are going to allow all players to have a speaker and allow those communications all the way until the ball is snapped, it's not going to fix the issue.  Unless teams go away from what they are doing now, which seems highly unlikely.

What's wrong with having the NFL communications system and teams going away from what they are doing now?  I hate the "let's all look at the side lines, then line up....then everyone look at the sidelines again....then snap the ball".

The bigger issue is that teams will have to teach their QBs to actually read defenses like they used to.  How horrible that would be.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What's wrong with having the NFL communications system and teams going away from what they are doing now?  I hate the "let's all look at the side lines, then line up....then everyone look at the sidelines again....then snap the ball".

The bigger issue is that teams will have to teach their QBs to actually read defenses like they used to.  How horrible that would be.

I'm not saying what anyone should or shouldn't do.  I'm just saying that people saying that helmet communications would solve the problem are not correct.  It would only help if college teams completely changed how they are calling plays.

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

I'm not saying what anyone should or shouldn't do.  I'm just saying that people saying that helmet communications would solve the problem are not correct.  It would only help if college teams completely changed how they are calling plays.

Michigan would be fine with it according to Nick Saban. The huddle apparently messed with Bama's defensive adjustments. 

On 1/16/2024 at 8:49 AM, Mavric said:

Makes sense. If he is going to turn down NFL jobs to stay, make sure the school can't turn around and fire you in a few months on two known issues (cheeseburgergate and signal gate) that he already has served time for. I think the NCAA gave a level 1 for cheeseburgergate and that might be a severe enough penalty to have the fire with cause option kick in under the current contract. 

1 hour ago, nic said:

Makes sense. If he is going to turn down NFL jobs to stay, make sure the school can't turn around and fire you in a few months on two known issues (cheeseburgergate and signal gate) that he already has served time for. I think the NCAA gave a level 1 for cheeseburgergate and that might be a severe enough penalty to have the fire with cause option kick in under the current contract. 

Tattoos and cheeseburgers. I don't think either one is the reason why a coach gets in trouble. You usually get in trouble when you aren't truthful. 

Has the NCAA suspended Harbaugh for anything yet? Michigan's suspension might not be the same as a possible NCAA suspension. 

The moral superiority of Michigan and their fans is something else. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
5 hours ago, jaws said:

Tattoos and cheeseburgers. I don't think either one is the reason why a coach gets in trouble. You usually get in trouble when you aren't truthful. 

Has the NCAA suspended Harbaugh for anything yet? Michigan's suspension might not be the same as a possible NCAA suspension. 

The moral superiority of Michigan and their fans is something else. 

Nothing yet. NCAA is slower than a 7 year itch. Cheesburgergate is stuff that happened during COVID in 2020.

As far as moral superiority, the Michigan boards make the same comments (among others) about OSU fans. I guess it makes the world go around. *yawn* I am on record as saying that the Michgan board is full of arrogant @$$3$. I wish I had a dime for everytime someone over there complains about a post....especially the grammar police.

All that said, why not try and limit or define 'fire for cause' in a new contract. Can't hurt. If you don't get it, leave for the NFL while they want you. This is probably his best shot at getting back in. If Michigan is willing to give a contract despite two NCAA investigations that's on them.