2023/24 Outlook

On 8/19/2023 at 12:44 PM, ECisGod said:

Very few teams seem to be able to keep HS players. They all think they should start from day one and if they don't they are looking for somewhere else that promises more PT, even if it is just lip service. 

Yeah, I don't think that's really the case.  Of the top six scorers in the B1G last year, only one had played for a different team that who he played for last year.  And only two of the top eight.

There are a lot of transfers.  But you have to be able to get *some* guys to develop.  If I asked who the most-productive HS player Fred has had here, the answer would be Bryce McGowens.  He mainly came because his brother was here and he was promised a lot of NIL stuff that he didn't get.  And he only stayed one year.  Who would be the second-most productive HS guy Fred has signed?

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I don't think that's really the case.  Of the top six scorers in the B1G last year, only one had played for a different team that who he played for last year.  And only two of the top eight.

There are a lot of transfers.  But you have to be able to get *some* guys to develop.  If I asked who the most-productive HS player Fred has had here, the answer would be Bryce McGowens.  He mainly came because his brother was here and he was promised a lot of NIL stuff that he didn't get.  And he only stayed one year.  Who would be the second-most productive HS guy Fred has signed?

Did he deserve what he was promised? Should sign documents to ensure one gets what’s promised, or live up to expectations. If that’s how it played out - doesn’t speak well of the coaching - but that dude is gone?

• 4 weeks later...

Preseason Bart Torvik rankings are out.  Has the Huskers going 19-12 (10-10 B1G) with a preseason ranking of 46.

T-Page for Nebraska - Customizable College Basketball Tempo Free Stats - T-Rank (barttorvik.com)

Projected B1G standings.  Gotta love the 6-way tie for third and 10 teams finishing between 11-9 and 8-12.

2023-24 Projections - - Customizable College Basketball Tempo Free Stats - T-Rank (barttorvik.com)

Saw The Almanac has NU 12th in conference, Lindy's 13th. Not sure we'll finish much higher but a couple of teams that may be over-rated: Ohio State and Michigan. Not sure why- with OSU especially- it's believed they'll turn it around so easily after last year's 5-15 conference finish.

1 hour ago, ECisGod said:

Today is the first day they can have full team practices.  Six weeks until the first game that counts.

So...after 5 pages of discussing the outlook for the season and we are 6 weeks away from actually seeing the product, does everyone think we are going to be:

A) better than last year.

B) Same as last year.

C) Worse than last year.

Last year we ended up 16-16 and 9-11 in the B1G.  Can we get to 20 wins and above .500 in conference?

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So...after 5 pages of discussing the outlook for the season and we are 6 weeks away from actually seeing the product, does everyone think we are going to be:

B) Same as last year.

C) Worse than last year.

Last year we ended up 16-16 and 9-11 in the B1G.  Can we get to 20 wins and above .500 in conference?

I think we will be a little better than last year.  I think 20 wins is possible, but our non-conference schedule is really bad, so 20 wins probably leaves us as a NIT team. 

Outside of Creigton (#4) & K-State (#40) we don't play anyone in Bart Torvik's preseason top 50 and the only other top 100 team we play is Duquesne at 57.  If we don't go at least 9-2 in the non-con, it could be an ugly season. 

No one else has released their 23/24 preseason rankings yet so I don't really have anything to compare to yet.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

B) Same as last year.

C) Worse than last year.

I see similar to slightly worse.  We lost our two best players and I don't think we replaced them with equal talent.  And I think we had a favorable schedule last year.