"Not a true Christian"

True Christians have the decoder ring and know the secret handshake.

The serious answer is - when ever you hear someone use the words "True Christian" it is someone looking to impose their view and silence others by marginalizing them.

Testify my sister....... :woo

A Christian is a person who has acknowledged Jesus as their savior and subsequently has been supernaturally made clean by the Holy Spirit, "born again" into salvation from our sins, through grace (unearned favor), by faith (love, belief and trust that Jesus is who He and others have claimed He is), to do good works.

Saved by Him.

Grace from Him.

Faith in Him.

Good, you have defined what your faith means to you.

It seems as though you have selected some passages from the Gospel of John and the Epistles of Paul to base it upon.

I had this discussion with my wife a few days ago, and how the phrase "that's very christian of you" always annoys me. It appears that Christians are under the impression that the bible teaches of peace and acceptance, when if you read it objectively is really a very different story.

More blood was shed during the crusades than any other period in time, and the bible is filled with horrendous acts by those that christian's peg as honorable Christians.

I think if many Christians sat down and actually read through the bible, they would have a very different view about the origins of their belief system.

There was alot of violence in the Old Testament and the Book of Revelation, but none really in the New Testament gospels and epistles.

Regarding the Crusades, their justifications were based on the teachings of Saint Augustine nearly four centuries later.

I had this discussion with my wife a few days ago, and how the phrase "that's very christian of you" always annoys me. It appears that Christians are under the impression that the bible teaches of peace and acceptance, when if you read it objectively is really a very different story.

More blood was shed during the crusades than any other period in time, and the bible is filled with horrendous acts by those that christian's peg as honorable Christians.

I think if many Christians sat down and actually read through the bible, they would have a very different view about the origins of their belief system.

Most Christians have little knowledge of whats actually in the Bible. They know what the preacher man has told them, and little else. If most of them actually opened up, and read cover to cover, the book they claim sets their belief system, they would be shocked. Much of what they think they know is in there, really isnt. The old and new testaments are also radically different. God does much less smiting in the New.

For starters they would not be able to call any republican a 'true Christian' just because of the views on 'greed is good,' anything for a profit mindset.

The term "Christian" covers a pretty broad set of allowable actions and beliefs.

Are you the peaceful, loving, turn-the-other-cheek Christian? Are you the make-a-whip-and-drive-the-moneylenders-out-of-the-temple Christian?

Are you a Ten-Commandments Christian? Are you a Golden Rule Christian?

New Testament or Old? Rainbow Covenant, or "Behold, all things are become new"?

It's a pretty broad term that not even Christians can agree on.

Most Christians have little knowledge of whats actually in the Bible. They know what the preacher man has told them, and little else. If most of them actually opened up, and read cover to cover, the book they claim sets their belief system, they would be shocked. Much of what they think they know is in there, really isnt. The old and new testaments are also radically different. God does much less smiting in the New.

For starters they would not be able to call any republican a 'true Christian' just because of the views on 'greed is good,' anything for a profit mindset.

Amen, so very true. We are the first society to have turned wanton shameless greed into a virtue, those that are able to royally screw others are now the figures worthy of admiration. Say what you will about that and how the GOP plays into it but it sure as hell isn't in line with the tenants of Christianity. I'm amazed that "Christians" believe the crap that many mainstream churches feed to them about what's important and how they choose to apply it to Politics, it literally baffles me that people could be so stupid.

Agree 100%. Believe what you wish, I will not judge you for it. But understand why you hold those convictions, otherwise I reserve the right to call you a sheep.

We are the first society to have turned wanton shameless greed into a virtue, those that are able to royally screw others are now the figures worthy of admiration.

We definitely do this. We are definitely not the first.

Ok let me rephrase that, "on this scale" did it happen in other societies? Sure...but I'm not sure it was encouraged to the extent that it is in modern America.

A Christian is a person who has acknowledged Jesus as their savior and subsequently has been supernaturally made clean by the Holy Spirit, "born again" into salvation from our sins, through grace (unearned favor), by faith (love, belief and trust that Jesus is who He and others have claimed He is), to do good works.

Saved by Him.

Grace from Him.

Faith in Him.

I feel that these two videos demonstrate this pretty well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U3117iU1HE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp0b360Y7fE

Well, you answered my first question rather well, but can you answer my second one? In another thread, you said most Catholics aren't really Catholics. You might have just been saying that in jest, but could you explain that one?

Well, I basically was getting at the notion that a lot of people who associate themselves with Christianity, or Catholicism (which in turn, is also Christianity) don't know what they're claiming. The Bible makes it clear that there will always be many people that claim saving grace in Jesus that do not actually have it - you're not a Christian because you say you are, you're a Christian because you've been supernaturally sealed and redeemed.

Matthew 7:21-23 says "“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’"

The gospels are filled with situations where Jesus calls out the Pharisees, continuously making it clear that they are not righteous, hypocrites, unable to enter the kingdom of heaven, wicked, and any other defining term you'd like to use to infer that a person is apart from God, but he also uses them as an example. He mentions that they tithe perfectly down to the grain, they travel all over to convert people and evangelize, look beautiful righteous and holy, follow the law to the letter, and several other examples of biblical things they do which seem pious, righteous and godly, yet despite doing all those great things they aren't saved and are not pleasing to God.

This just goes to show that there is no discernable way to say whether or not someone is a born-again Christian, unless you are that person yourself, and even then there is a good chance that you could be deceiving yourself.

As far as Knapplc's post, the answer is "Yes, all of those". :P

[quote name='Landlord of Memorial Stadium' timestamp='1320290360' post='850522'

Well, I basically was getting at the notion that a lot of people who associate themselves with Christianity, or Catholicism (which in turn, is also Christianity) don't know what they're claiming. The Bible makes it clear that there will always be many people that claim saving grace in Jesus that do not actually have it - you're not a Christian because you say you are, you're a Christian because you've been supernaturally sealed and redeemed.

Matthew 7:21-23 says "“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’"

The gospels are filled with situations where Jesus calls out the Pharisees, continuously making it clear that they are not righteous, hypocrites, unable to enter the kingdom of heaven, wicked, and any other defining term you'd like to use to infer that a person is apart from God, but he also uses them as an example. He mentions that they tithe perfectly down to the grain, they travel all over to convert people and evangelize, look beautiful righteous and holy, follow the law to the letter, and several other examples of biblical things they do which seem pious, righteous and godly, yet despite doing all those great things they aren't saved and are not pleasing to God.

This just goes to show that there is no discernable way to say whether or not someone is a born-again Christian, unless you are that person yourself, and even then there is a good chance that you could be deceiving yourself.

As far as Knapplc's post, the answer is "Yes, all of those". :P

What a horrible concept.