The Imperial President - Yes or No

http://www.csmonitor.com/layout/set/r14/USA/Politics/2014/0126/Is-Barack-Obama-an-imperial-president

A couple of quotes

The reality isn't so simple. Obama, a former constitutional law professor, was once skeptical of the aggressive use of presidential power. During the 2008 campaign, he accused President George W. Bush of regularly circumventing Congress. Yet as president, Obama has grown increasingly bold in his own use of executive action, at times to controversial effect.

To critics, Obama is the ultimate "imperial president," willfully violating the Constitution to further his goals, having failed to convince Congress of the merits of his arguments. To others, he is exercising legitimate executive authority in the face of an intransigent Congress and in keeping with the practices of past presidents.

What say you?

Presidents circumvent Congress all the time. How much it bothers you depends on how much you like the current President. Right now, the delusional fear mongers at Fox News hate it because it's Obama. When the President's actions fall more in line with their beliefs, they love it. The flipped version is true of MSNBC.

And yes, I'd be circumventing Congress at every possible opportunity because they're f'ing useless and are at the heart of the problem.

Presidents circumvent Congress all the time. How much it bothers you depends on how much you like the current President. Right now, the delusional fear mongers at Fox News hate it because it's Obama. When the President's actions fall more in line with their beliefs, they love it. The flipped version is true of MSNBC.

And yes, I'd be circumventing Congress at every possible opportunity because they're f'ing useless and are at the heart of the problem.

Agree...and the sheep from both sides will continue to be blind to the entire propaganda machine that influences so much in their lives.

Can't argue wt that. There is so much dysfunction in DC. Not sure how we get humpty dumpy back together again.

Personally, I think the best way to fix the dysfunction in DC is to continue propagating baseless accusations about the side across the aisle. If we can flood every message board, talk show, tv show, newspaper and blog with partisan quackery the situation is bound to get better.

The increasing power of the executive branch is a direct result of congress failing in their duties. Dick Cheney saw this way back when he was a representative of Wyoming and spent his entire political life afterwards amassing new powers for the executive, powers which someone from the other party now happens to have, so it's bad I guess.

This isn't particularly new in history. Democracies in in ancient Greece failed and gave way to dictators. The Romans did a pretty good job murdering or throwing those who aspired to rule as a dictator off the tarpian rock for a period of time, but eventually gave in after decades of relative anarchy in the late republic to rule by dictator in all but name.

I imagine if you asked the men who thought up our republic if it would work to govern over 300 million people, in 50 states that span the continent, with a military that spans the globe, they would have emphatically said no. Our system was designed to operate more in the manner that the Swiss confederation does to this day, for that number of governed and individual states, and that kind of foreign policy. So don't be pretend to be shocked or horrified when the system isn't quite working as intended.

• Fire 1

In many cases recess appointments have been the only way to get some positions filled that had been vacant for years as the do-nothing House couldnt get a resolution passed agreeing with Obama on how the weather was on a given day. There was also the case of Mitch McConnell making statements that the number one priority was to make Obama a one term President. Not to do whats best for the country. Is it ideal? No. But its not like its not something that has been done a lot in the last 20 years.