TA Needs to Help OLine by Being In The Pocket

Mavric

Excellent points Mav. Something you dont really notice live. Heck, I never picked up on this even rewatching the games. Guess I'm focusing too much on line play itself. But it's true. Tommy needs to do a better job of stepping up and creating better angles for the pass blocking. I think his drops are good, but there has to be step up as well. The 2nd and 4th photos were perfect opportunities for him to step up in a pocket and really deliver a good ball instead of feeling a little heat. These are the same issues we had with Martinez. He did the Oline no favors with his pocket presence and movement. You have to help the guys out by properly moving around and creating the right angles. Now it's apparent Tommy is having the same issues.

Good points, I think the line played a pretty decent game against Northwestern. If Tommy hits on 2-3 more passes in the first half and Alonzo Moore lines up correctly there wouldn't be much talk about needing to make changes on the line. For the most part Tommy was kept off of the ground, I can really only think of 2 times he was knocked down on pass attempts.

I'm not disagreeing with you. But, it appears that one example you show, you say he is too deep at 8 yards. Another one where you say he did a good job, he is at 8 yards.

There's not necessarily a perfect number that works for every play. But in every example, he had room to be closer to the line.

I didn't say he did a good job by being at 8 yards. He was deeper and did a good job to step up into the pocket to buy time.

It's all about pocket presence. Moving in and out of the pocket to buy the extra second or two to make your reads, allow the recover to get open or turn scramble.

Good stuff Mavric, IMO. It again shows areas that need improvement like looking off the DB's or not locking in on a receiver. Easy fixes IMO. I have no idea why we haven't seen these improvements yet. Simple things like that could be 1-2 more wins/year. Especially against solid D's.

Anyway to post stills from the MSU game? I would be interested if there was even a pocket to set up in.

It's all about pocket presence. Moving in and out of the pocket to buy the extra second or two to make your reads, allow the recover to get open or turn scramble.

Good stuff Mavric, IMO. It again shows areas that need improvement like looking off the DB's or not locking in on a receiver. Easy fixes IMO. I have no idea why we haven't seen these improvements yet. Simple things like that could be 1-2 more wins/year. Especially against solid D's.

Anyway to post stills from the MSU game? I would be interested if there was even a pocket to set up in.

Agreed. Even though we've heard some good things about him, his pocket presence isn't very good.

Isn't the depth of the drop determined by the playcall and timing with the routes? I've always understood it to be that there are 3, 5, and 7 step drops depending on the how long you want the routes to develop. Maybe I'm wrong.

One thing I noticed in the NW game was that most of the time we're throwing the O-line is still lined up as though it will or could be a run play- which is pretty much straight down the line of scrimmage. But I noticed later in the game on an obvious passing third down (don't remember which) that the O-line was lined up in more of an inverted "V" to better pass block. The difference, of course, is that the tackles are already a step deeper. I'll see if I can find and screencap the difference

I'm not disagreeing with you. But, it appears that one example you show, you say he is too deep at 8 yards. Another one where you say he did a good job, he is at 8 yards.

There's not necessarily a perfect number that works for every play. But in every example, he had room to be closer to the line.

I didn't say he did a good job by being at 8 yards. He was deeper and did a good job to step up into the pocket to buy time.

As others have said, it partly depends on the play that is called.

In general, I would think if he starts in the shotgun position, he is coached to take certain steps for movement to get ready to throw the ball. I never have paid attention to how many steps that is back.

The pictures could also be influenced by:

a) Did the O lineman do a better job of blocking the pass rusher farther back?

b) Did the pass rusher do a poor job of taking a good line to the QB?

c) Just before the picture, did TA move one way or the other that makes it harder for the O lineman?

d) etc....

Without knowing the exact plays that were called and what he is supposed to exactly do and be doing at the time of the picture, it's hard to judge if he did it correctly or not.

But, I'm confused by your conclusion that one is an example of him taking to deep of a drop and one is an example of doing it right when they both have the same depth from the LOS.

Ok, here's an example of what I mentioned earlier. On this 2nd and 14 play, see how the O-line is lined up- they are lined up in more of a wedge so that they can get back and pass block and create a pocket for the QB.

post-12331-0-14283000-1414091672_thumb.png

On this play, 1st and 10, NU is going to pass but see how the O-line is lined up? They're not tipping their hand that they will pass. The downside is that it's much harder for the tackles to get back and block on the edge if they need to.

post-12331-0-93876500-1414091684_thumb.png

Yall just over analyze dis shiggidy. Here lets make it simple,

Line can't block cuz sterup look high on colorado state flower, Pelini at center, yeah, thanks uncle bo, Armstrong coach by Joe Ganz, ain't teach him shiggidy bout pass mechanic, and he panic to fast.

He da fastest qb who get sacked mo den anybody I see.

There u go analyzation thanks to me, out

• Fire 3

As others have said, it partly depends on the play that is called.

In general, I would think if he starts in the shotgun position, he is coached to take certain steps for movement to get ready to throw the ball. I never have paid attention to how many steps that is back.

The pictures could also be influenced by:

a) Did the O lineman do a better job of blocking the pass rusher farther back?

b) Did the pass rusher do a poor job of taking a good line to the QB?

c) Just before the picture, did TA move one way or the other that makes it harder for the O lineman?

d) etc....

Without knowing the exact plays that were called and what he is supposed to exactly do and be doing at the time of the picture, it's hard to judge if he did it correctly or not.

But, I'm confused by your conclusion that one is an example of him taking to deep of a drop and one is an example of doing it right when they both have the same depth from the LOS.

I mean ... I've watched the plays several time and and explaining what I saw. I didn't just grab random screen shots. If you'd like to watch the plays and give your own analysis, feel free.

I've explained the answer to your last question already so I'm assuming you're not reading it.