I've never brined a turkey and it's always turned out really good.

The two best methods I've used for a turkey in a traditional oven:

1) Use an oven bag. Seems simplistic or like cheating, but the dumb things work. The first excellent turkey I made came from a bag.

2) Make a compound butter out of sage, rosemary, thyme & oregano. Chill the butter into a stick, slice pats off the stick and shove them under the skin. Any leftover butter can go on as baste as it's cooking. You'll have to frequently baste a turkey using this method, but the results are pretty good.

• Fire 2

I stand corrected, you can have a good turkey without brining it however, you can have an even better turkey if you do brine it. If it's already been pumped, the brining isn't as important. I prefer to get fresh turkeys that haven't been pumped, then brining is necessary. It gives you more leeway to over cook and still have a moist bird.

I've never brined a turkey and it's always turned out really good.

The two best methods I've used for a turkey in a traditional oven:

1) Use an oven bag. Seems simplistic or like cheating, but the dumb things work. The first excellent turkey I made came from a bag.

2) Make a compound butter out of sage, rosemary, thyme & oregano. Chill the butter into a stick, slice pats off the stick and shove them under the skin. Any leftover butter can go on as baste as it's cooking. You'll have to frequently baste a turkey using this method, but the results are pretty good.

I brine mine and then do this exact recipe. I actually deep fry mine and it gets a wonderful crust on it.

If you want to cook go to this site, allrecipes.com When I started seriously cooking, about 50 years ago, I learned one thing. Get yourself a good cookbook and follow the recipes. It will take some time but sooner or later you will be able to deviate from the recipes. to suit your taste, and make up your own recipes. Another good source, right here on this board is our Resident Huskerboard Chef, Roxy.

Good luck.

T_O_B