Chatelain on The State of Nebrasketball

The following names represent Tim Miles’ non-transfer signees from 2012-14:

Sergej Vucetic (’12)
Nick Fuller (’13)
Nathan Hawkins (’13)
Tai Webster (’13)
Jacob Hammond (’14)
Tarin Smith (’14)
Folks, that batting average would get him benched by the Chicago Cubs. Fuller, Webster and Hammond are still in the program, of course, but none have made a notable impact.
Leaving season three of the Miles’ regime, two of his three most proven players — Shavon Shields and Benny Parker — are Doc Sadler recruits. And the third, Terran Petteway, might not be coming back.
Is Nebrasketball better off than it was three years ago when Miles got the job? Slightly.
Is Nebrasketball better off than it was two years ago? Debatable.
Losing Walt Pitchford, with only one year of eligibility remaining, is one thing. Losing Tarin Smith, a versatile guard who could've started the next three years, hurts much worse.
It feels like Miles is hitting “reset” on the rebuilding project. Rather than developing young talent like Smith and Hammond, he’s hunting for one-year mercenaries. That’s no way to build.
Nebraska’s 13-18 debacle, followed by the roster upheaval, puts a lot of pressure on Miles. It also puts a lot of pressure on the incoming freshmen, especially Glynn Watson and Ed Morrow.
The bright side: They shouldn't have any problem getting playing time.

OWH

Sounds more like Smith wanted to be told he was going to be a starter next season.

Most likely, but I could never understand why Parker started over Smith toward the end of the season.

Probably the way they practice. I'd imagine that Parker goes 100% most of the time whereas others might not. I'm just speculating here of course.

Smith comes from such a great high school program with a legendary coach, I can't imagine he would be a slacker but you never know. I think what happened is Miles said "Watson is going to start next year" and Smith thought that was a raw deal, I would too.

I don't see why/how he would be afraid to compete but I see it more likely that Miles already told him the job would not be his.

Smith comes from such a great high school program with a legendary coach, I can't imagine he would be a slacker but you never know. I think what happened is Miles said "Watson is going to start next year" and Smith thought that was a raw deal, I would too.

I don't see why/how he would be afraid to compete but I see it more likely that Miles already told him the job would not be his.

There is no way Miles told a player on the team that contributed last year as a true freshman that another player who is still in HS is going to start above him next year.

There is no way Miles told a player on the team that contributed last year as a true freshman that another player who is still in HS is going to start above him next year.

That might be true...but then it means you think that Smith is really afraid of competition.

That might be true...but then it means you think that Smith is really afraid of competition.

He said that he was not afraid of competition. The system did not fit for him.

He said that he was not afraid of competition. The system did not fit for him.

I agree...like I said that is Miles telling him "you are not our PG" just in a very nice way. It is what coaches do.

Dirk is doing what most people wont do and being critical of Miles. Some is valid, some seems a bit farfetched.

Are we better off than we were two years ago?-- I actually think we are. Look at the talent we have coming in. two guys in the top 80 and a transfer from Kansas who can actually play(he aint no Nick Bahe)

Losing Tarin Smith isnt good, but at the end of the day, i dont think it was Miles hitting the reset button, it was Tarin hitting the reset button.

It might have been system, or location or coaching or lack of playing time or the fact a very good recruit was coming in at his position or maybe a healthy mixture of all of those. My first thought was to question Tarins inability to want to compete, but after i thought about it made me look like a "hater".

Maybe, he just wasnt feeling Nebraska. Being that far from home is hard enough for a 19 year old kid, but if you add in to the fact that it doesnt feel like a good fit, then ya, i can understand leaving.

Tarin Smith sounds like it is something Miles couldnt control.

I think Tim Miles is a good coach, but also deserves criticism but in this day and age, kids transfer... We were going to lose some people.. That happens.

• Fire 1