One Example of Why "Not Buying In" is Completely Overblown

If one of the most outspoken (and criticized) supports of the previous staff who would have every reason/excuse to not have anything to do with the new staff not only embraces the new staff but is vocal about it, I think claiming guys "weren't buying in" is blown well out of proportion. There may have been a couple but not nearly as much of an issue as some try to claim.

Now, "struggling to adjust" or "learning new concepts" I'll absolutely buy. Especially on defense, the concepts are so different that there can't help but be an adjustment period. And I actually this this is more what Gerry was referring to when he talked of "buying in" - not that they were fighting it, just that it was hard to get your body/brain to do something distinctly different.

• Fire 2

I get what you are trying to say but Kenny didn't have to "buy in" to a new HC.

Also, it's well known that Williams works with a lot of pro WR in the offseason. There is nothing that says Kenny wouldn't have gone somewhere else if that's where Williams was.

But I think Kenny genuinely loved Nebraska and loved his coach, warts and all, even more.

• Fire 7

If one of the most outspoken (and criticized) supports of the previous staff who would have every reason/excuse to not have anything to do with the new staff not only embraces the new staff but is vocal about it, I think claiming guys "weren't buying in" is blown well out of proportion. There may have been a couple but not nearly as much of an issue as some try to claim.

Now, "struggling to adjust" or "learning new concepts" I'll absolutely buy. Especially on defense, the concepts are so different that there can't help but be an adjustment period. And I actually this this is more what Gerry was referring to when he talked of "buying in" - not that they were fighting it, just that it was hard to get your body/brain to do something distinctly different.

I guess in IMO those buying in and struggling to adjust can be pretty much the same thing. I don't think there was just out and out I am not doing this because the last staff got the shaft thing, but there could have been a lot of wow I don't know about this. Then after a 2-4 start there can be a lot of doubt.

Kenny Bell didn't have to buy the new staff, he never worked with them.

I think buy in could apply to different things, not just buying in to the new staff, but buying into the scheme, culture changes and just seeing new faces every day. I agree with NUinID's assertion that it may not have been that guys didn't want to like or buy in to the new staff, but perhaps it was just a struggle to trust the new method and figure out what the coaches were teaching them.

Like NuinID and Enhance said, "buy in" can apply to lots of things and who is Kenny Bell to talk about whether or not the team was "buying in" when he wasn't even here?

I also think any issues with "buying in" were just one of multiple issues with the team this last year. To many people like to take each individual issue and say that wasn't the problem. The problem was a bunch of issues, not just one and it all added up to a 6-7 season.

• Fire 1

My issue with buying in is this: the one thing all athletes want most of all is playing time.

To get playing time you must earn the trust of the coaching staff. You do that by working hard and understanding the plays/system to the best of your ability.

The quickest way of not getting playing time is to go rogue and do things your way, ignore what the coaches say and insist that the old way was better.

• Fire 1

Think about it. Your previous head coach goes all Pelini and tells you that the new staff will come in and tell you that we did things the wrong way. The new staff comes in and their system is dramatically different than the old one. Several things may happen:

1. You haven't mastered the nuance of the new system, so you are having to think too much.

2. When you are tired you revert back to what you know well (the old system) which doesn't apply in the system.

3. When things don't go well, doubts creep into your thinking.

When any of the above happen, you hesitate which causes poor performance.

I think the argument here is a little bit of a false dichotomy. Buy-in is not a binary equation. Buy-in, yes vs. buy-in no. "Buy-in" is just a handy way to describe what is, in fact, a gradient of increasing knowledge and belief in the system.

• Fire 2

Think about it. Your previous head coach goes all Pelini and tells you that the new staff will come in and tell you that we did things the wrong way. The new staff comes in and their system is dramatically different than the old one. Several things may happen:

1. You haven't mastered the nuance of the new system, so you are having to think too much.

2. When you are tired you revert back to what you know well (the old system) which doesn't apply in the system.

I think the argument here is a little bit of a false dichotomy. Buy-in is not a binary equation. Buy-in, yes vs. buy-in no. "Buy-in" is just a handy way to describe what is, in fact, a gradient of increasing knowledge and belief in the system.

This is 100% the answer...

The problem is "buy-in" become a hate word...we all know that. Miss a tackle "Dude isn't buying in"...throw a pick "Dude isn't buying in"...

Nothing like a bunch of keyboard dorks (myself included and possibly the leader) calling out guys that are basically in class, the weight room, the training table, the rehab room, practice field, meeting rooms, film rooms and study sessions from 6am - 9pm every day for not "buying in"

• Fire 1

This is 100% the answer...

The problem is "buy-in" become a hate word...we all know that. Miss a tackle "Dude isn't buying in"...throw a pick "Dude isn't buying in"...

Nothing like a bunch of keyboard dorks (myself included and possibly the leader) calling out guys that are basically in class, the weight room, the training table, the rehab room, practice field, meeting rooms, film rooms and study sessions from 6am - 9pm every day for not "buying in"

I don't know if it is 100% the answer. But it's close. The main reason I disagreed with the OP was that it features Kenny Bell. He was already gone when Riley was hired. There was no need to "buy in" for him no matter which side of the fence you are on. Now if we are talking about a player currently on the team or has just left that we suspect didn't, then we have something to talk about.

And with regards to the players who haven't "bought in" but still are in class, the weight room, rehab, etc., they sort of have to be there regardless of how they feel if they want their education paid for.

• Fire 1

This is entirely too reasonable of an explanation. As such, it will be categorically rejected by the tin foil hat wearers and Bo-lievers.