Indiana - the Last Drive

What did we do differently on the last drive? We looked helpless to 2.5 quarters, then when the game is on the line we have an eight minute, 26 second scoring drive. Has anyone watched the film a little closer. I had a bad feeling that we were going to lose, then the Huskers eat the clock old school style, four and five yards at a time on the ground. Why couldn't we do the same thing earlier?

• Fire 1

It's hard for me to say, maybe the Indiana guys were a little gassed, maybe the Nebraska line reached down and found an extra 5% of effort, could be Newby figured he was going to take the team on his back, or the coaches called the right combination of plays or varying amounts of all of the above or none of the above.

The Cornhuskers did what they had to do, when they had to do it, so I will take the win and hope for some healing.

What did we do differently on the last drive? We looked helpless to 2.5 quarters, then when the game is on the line we have an eight minute, 26 second scoring drive. Has anyone watched the film a little closer. I had a bad feeling that we were going to lose, then the Huskers eat the clock old school style, four and five yards at a time on the ground. Why couldn't we do the same thing earlier?

Well, it is hard to run when the enemy is stacking the box. For the game we rushed 45 times for 152 yards and a 3.4 ypc average. The run game wasn't working all that well yesterday and at least some of the credit for that goes to Indiana's defense.

Maybe ABC planned it that way to keep people in the seats? That would explain pocket passing on 3rd and two from midfield.

Indiana is much better than their reputation from years past. They deserve a lot of credit. It's hard to see any loss in a positive way. But, I think Indiana has actually achieved positive momentum in their losses to NU and OSU. The Hoosiers are learning that they actually CAN play with anyone. Once they start turning some of these close games into wins they will become more confident and more dangerous.

I give them a lot of props for their great game. They are not the stuffed pillow team they had been in the past.

There must be a little truth to the 4th Quarter conditioning idea. Or maybe it's mental fortitude. Whatever it is, I like it. I just wish we'd figure out a way to do the same in every quarter. No doubt the 4th Q has been ours for the most part.

We saw a little bit of the 'Old Tommy' out there at IU. I hope he can erase that demon for good as we go on. We need great decision making and better play all around in Q2 and Q3. Or maybe Riley and staff are just making excellent half time adjustments. Probably a little of all those things.

We will need to play complete games against Wisconsin and OSU. Hopefully Purdue provides us with an opportunity to do so. I don't feel like we can skip 2 quarters and win against Wiscy or the Buckeyes. And certainly not if we reach the CCG. Finally, we seem to be taking every opponent seriously, working on each game and not looking ahead. That is great and hopefully continues against Purdue. Though they just fired their coach, we learned last year that they can be dangerous. If they 'rally round the new guy' we could have a fight on our hands. I hope they are in disarray and we can go in there and rotate lots of guys in and out for experience for next year or in case of injury this year.

Fun ride so far.