Can we retire the term "Black Shirts"?

I also would agree with 84.......if I cared anymore what they called the defense. The only applicable words are soft and non-aggressive. I just cringe when game announcers use the term "blackshirts" and then we proceed to get 40 or 50+ hung on us.I've made the argument numerous times that Blackshirts simply refers to our defensive starters and that it does not only refer to the type of defense our best mid 90's teams played. They were the Blackshirts long before that and they were not always that dominant. But anymore I just don't care what they are called and would prefer it wasn't the Blackshirts as it doesn't seem they are worthy of any type of special name that doesn't involve the color pink. I don't blame the players themselves as much as I do the scheme.

The defense was called the Blackshirts long before the run in the 90's started. It was even called the Blackshirts when our defense had years that weren't all that great.

That's exactly what I said, is it not?

Well, heck, let's get rid of "Huskers" while we're at it. You guys get WAY OVER THE TOP after losses. How about some perspective? These are 18-22 year old guys playing football for their school. Nothing more.

I would love to get rid of the "Huskers" tagline and be referred to as Cornhuskers like the schools name actually is.

Why would we retire the term blackshirts? It's not like they are going to be average forever. It's cyclical, our defense will be our backbone again at some point.

Not with this coaching staff.
Becuase that's Redux's point.
Nah, we are going to cryogenically put Riley's head on a monkey body just so he can retain zombie Banker just to make sure our defense "sucks" for the rest of time!

Or yeah, eventually either Banker will start churning out championship caliber defenses or he will be replaced.

Why would we retire the term blackshirts? It's not like they are going to be average forever. It's cyclical, our defense will be our backbone again at some point.

Here's my take: Remembering when multiple shutouts per year were expected and delivered. Pride comes from overachieving. The defenses in the heyday were not satisfied with simply a win. From what I've seen lately, is a win is a win attitude. Let up near the end of the fourth quarter, if they score so what, we got the win. Regenerating this prideful mentality would loom large in our recruiting posture.

BTW, the reason the slipover jerseys were used was they were on sale. Could have just as well been known as the "yellowshirts"