End of Net Neutrality

39 minutes ago, teachercd said:

So what will be the way around this?  Some old dial up modem that is routed through some other country?

This stinks...

There's no way around this unless you own a backbone connection to the internet. The hope is that some ISP will stick with the old net neutrality rules in order to get customers, but even that is unlikely as the vast majority of the physical cables are owned by the companies that spent money to repeal net neutrality.

Just now, RedDenver said:

There's no way around this unless you own a backbone connection to the internet. The hope is that some ISP will stick with the old net neutrality rules in order to get customers, but even that is unlikely as the vast majority of the physical cables are owned by the companies that spent money to repeal net neutrality.

Okay, that is sort of what I was thinking...like when cell phones first came out...the prices were all over the place, high/low/middle...then they clearly all colluded and made prices that are all similar.  Maybe there will be a "cheap" service.

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Okay, that is sort of what I was thinking...like when cell phones first came out...the prices were all over the place, high/low/middle...then they clearly all colluded and made prices that are all similar.  Maybe there will be a "cheap" service.

The truly insidious part of this is that the ISP's can coerce the content providers (e.g. Netflix, Hulu, Huskerboard, etc.) to pay to keep the ISP from throttling bandwidth to their site. So the ISP's can both drive up your cost AND the cost of the websites/services you use.

Edited by RedDenver
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The truly insidious part of this is that the ISP's can coerce the content providers (e.g. Netflix, Hulu, Huskerboard, etc.) to pay to keep the ISP from throttling bandwidth to their site. So the ISP's can both drive up your cost AND the cost of the websites/services you use.

Like they were doing pre-NN internet 2014?

9 minutes ago, GM_Tood said:

Yes, the entire reason for the net neutrality rules is what the ISP's started to do. And you can go look at other countries without net neutrality rules to see that these issues do occur.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/14/16692318/net-neutrality-local-loop-broadband-internet-access

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2017/12/what_the_internet_is_like_in_countries_without_net_neutrality.html

• Plus1 1

This fight is still not over. There will be bills in congress, and I imagine someone will figure out a constitutional objection. 

All of these ignorant #MAGA fools are going to find out how fun it is to support Trump when it hits them square in the pocketbook.  The only problem I have is that it's going to cost the sane people, too.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

This fight is still not over. There will be bills in congress, and I imagine someone will figure out a constitutional objection. 

All of these ignorant #MAGA fools are going to find out how fun it is to support Trump when it hits them square in the pocketbook.  The only problem I have is that it's going to cost the sane people, too.

You can use the money you save from those new tax cuts. :D

Just now, Cdog923 said:

"Ctrl + F: Nebraska

0 of 0 results found"

1474.gif

For as much as Nebraskans like to make fun of Iowa, they're far more enlightened when it comes to things like this.  Gay marriage, medical marijuana, now net neutrality... they're far better than we are with things that affect everyday American's lives.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, GM_Tood said:

The internet is a much different animal now than in 2014.  That's almost 4 years ago.  That's a millennium in technology.

Let me ask you this.  Why do you support this move?  I am honestly open to the argument from the other side.  I just don't understand what that other side is and would like it explained to me.

How was this regulation detrimental.

Edited by BigRedBuster
22 minutes ago, knapplc said:

For as much as Nebraskans like to make fun of Iowa, they're far more enlightened when it comes to things like this.  Gay marriage, medical marijuana, now net neutrality... they're far better than we are with things that affect everyday American's lives.

After living there 15 years and then moving back, I can agree with this.