Is Game of Thrones overrated? Is it better than 'Vikings'?

Is Game of Thrones overrated? Is it better than 'Vikings'?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've never seen Vikings but it's on prime. Part of my hesitation was my suspicion that it was just more medieval-themed softcore. What's it all about?

I think it's hard to call GoT overrated. It's a phenomenon. However, there are areas where I think it deserves a lot of criticism.

I like Game of Thrones, I just think it's overrated. The wife and I were late to the party, but we've been trying to catch up before Season 7 begins. We JUST finished season 5 a couple nights ago. Here are a few of things I take issue with regarding GoT, and why I think it's overrated:

- As 'The Dude' mentioned, there are just too many long (f'n long) stretches of absolutely nothing happening. And it's not the good kind of "nothing" neither (think Better Call Saul) where you can tell it's leading to something good..... Just a whole lot of nothing.

- Jon Snow is a douche, and just overall a terrible character. I was glad too see him die at the end of season 5, only too be disappointed hours later when a cousin broke it to me that he is resurrected in season 6.

- The two women who play the Targaryen queen, and Sansa Stark are just terrible actresses....

- It's taken way to long for some of the story lines to cross paths. Like I said before, we started the series less than a year ago, so I can't imagine how long it felt if you watched the show from the beginning.

Tyrion Lannister, and Bronn make the show for me. By far my two favorite characters.

I like Game of Thrones, I just think it's overrated. The wife and I were late to the party, but we've been trying to catch up before Season 7 begins. We JUST finished season 5 a couple nights ago. Here are a few of things I take issue with regarding GoT, and why I think it's overrated:

- As 'The Dude' mentioned, there are just too many long (f'n long) stretches of absolutely nothing happening. And it's not the good kind of "nothing" neither (think Better Call Saul) where you can tell it's leading to something good..... Just a whole lot of nothing.

- Jon Snow is a douche, and just overall a terrible character. I was glad too see him die at the end of season 5, only too be disappointed hours later when a cousin broke it to me that he is resurrected in season 6.

- The two women who play the Targaryen queen, and Sansa Stark are just terrible actresses....

- It's taken way to long for some of the story lines to cross paths. Like I said before, we started the series less than a year ago, so I can't imagine how long it felt if you watched the show from the beginning.

Tyrion Lannister, and Bronn make the show for me. By far my two favorite characters.

If you remember it's a soap opera...it will help. It is Dallas and guiding light...it is Days of our lives...it just has dragons. Don't try to dislike it just enjoy it for what it is.

I caught up on seasons 3-6 a month or two ago and I don't understand how people who binge watch it could get bored with any of it. I didn't even dislike the Breane stuff which I'd heard so many complaints about. I understand getting bored if you have to wait a week and you've just watched a crappy episode but not when you can just watch the next one right away.

If you remember it's a soap opera...it will help. It is Dallas and guiding light...it is Days of our lives...it just has dragons. Don't try to dislike it just enjoy it for what it is.

I don't dislike it, though. I mentioned earlier that I do like the show, I just feel that it's overrated, and 'Vikings' is a lot better.....

I caught up on seasons 3-6 a month or two ago and I don't understand how people who binge watch it could get bored with any of it. I didn't even dislike the Breane stuff which I'd heard so many complaints about. I understand getting bored if you have to wait a week and you've just watched a crappy episode but not when you can just watch the next one right away.

I think binge watching it helps. If it was a show that I watched from the beginning, I think I would of gave up on it for the reason you mentioned.

• Fire 1

I agree with BB. I remember watching S1 and thinking, OK, yeah, Dany is gonna do something.

Here we are six seasons later and now maybe finally Dany's done side-questing on the other side of the world.

I think I like her storyline the least. It's getting better now that everything has started to come together. As S2 and S3 rolled along and Dany was still just over doing dragon things by herself, it got hard to want to follow. But binging also helps. I caught up on the bulk of everything last summer. I think I went through about four seasons. Tyrion's extraordinary. Perhaps the only thing really so.

• Fire 1

I think binge watching it helps. If it was a show that I watched from the beginning, I think I would of gave up on it for the reason you mentioned.

Binge watching is the only way to go. I've watched all of it both ways, week to week & season to season, and I've binged thru it a couple times. It does seem to drag on when going week to week. I'm not sure why though because when you binge it, it seems like non stop action.

It is definitely top 3 all time series for me. My other faves are Breaking Bad, Sopranos and 24. If y'all say Vikings is up in that echelon then I'm going to try it. I just have a very hard time believing it can be as good as GoT.

BTW, Tyrion is my favorite too. I think Daenerys and Sansa are just fine as actresses. However, I sure did get tired of Sansa early on. But disliking the character is not the same as being a bad actor. I think they both just do what the writers and directors want from them. I hate Cersai and want her to die but I don't think the show would be near as good without her as the villain.

• Fire 1