OWH Barfknecht: Nebraska closing in on naming next athletic director

The Duke

Just now, Hayseed said:

I agree, that's silly. Anyone currently in our Athletic Department can offer Frost a job. We need someone who understands the culture and behind-the-scene influences and can handle them. I think that's what most potential candidates, including Frost, are concerned about. 

It does seem silly, but really the only supporting point for Danny White seems to be that he is the current AD at a particular school in FL that has a certain HC.  Now I am not an expert at the AD position, or even very knowledgeable, but I am sure there are other duties that will be necessary other than having current ties...

22 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Which is totally cool, not a problem with that, like I said I just don't want us to hire Y so we can get X. 

Kinda like hiring the father of a program changing, top 2 basketball player in the country as an assistant coach so that the team can turn it around quickly. ...MIZZOU...  

These days, sometimes it's about acieving the desired results fast rather than the long term "best" way. 

Just a little sarcasm. Or, not. ;)

Edited by Husker N StL
2 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

Exactly why I asked my above question.  This could be fool's gold.

I think White would a be a wonderful hire even without Frost. His three major coaching hires have been on the money. Frost is crushing it there, but take a look at mens basketball and baseball. Dawkins was hired as the basketball coach this past year, in his first season he won 24 games and had UCF in the NIT semis (keep in mind he took over a 12-18 team). I follow college baseball very closely, so when they hired Greg Lovelady, I knew it was a homerun. In his first season as coach at UCF they went 40-22 and won the conference - also qualified for the NCAA baseball tournament (keep in mind he took over a 26-33 team). So yes, outside of the Frost connection, White would be a fantastic hire and has a track record to show it.

3 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

It does seem silly, but really the only supporting point for Danny White seems to be that he is the current AD at a particular school in FL that has a certain HC.  Now I am not an expert at the AD position, or even very knowledgeable, but I am sure there are other duties that will be necessary other than having current ties...

Yes, that's why I agreed with him and you....and called the idea silly. Mullens from Oregon sounds like a legit AD, but also seems like a fantasy;....why would he leave?

• Plus1 1

Del Conte and Mullens might have the insight to see the potential in Lincoln.  The potential of not only more dollars, but also building a once proud band back into an empire.  TCU is probably at its pinnacle right now.  Oregon is at a slight downslide.  Different stories, but might be the "time" for both to take on something new.  

3 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

If Frost said told the admin hire him and he'd come over, I guess I'd seriously consider it. Right now it sounds like message board talk. 

Oh yeah it is likely exactly that.  I tend to think Scott may have had some generic talks, but is fully vested in his team's ever-growing bid to play in one of the top bowls. It sounds good, but imagine the amount of maneuvering that would have to go on for him to be so set with his next job that he actually gets his boss hired to become his future boss before he comes over, all in mid season.  Not saying it couldn't happen. 

5 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I guess to me what is missing in this discussion is the fact that many of these super AD's and coaches you hear about are cheaters and get players with secret shoe deals. If that's all they got then I don't want them no matter how good their ruse has been.

I thought the same when I saw  Barnhart's name.  As in Kentucky will be the next to be named in the baseball scandals and he is getting out.  

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Listen, if White is the best candidate available great, but I hope NU doesn't hire him just to go after Frost.

This is what I'm afraid of, the masses seem to want Frost we will do anything to make that happen.  I want us to make an actual concerted effort to find the best fit, I have my dreams (Dabo) and those I think would fit perfectly (Shaw) but to just throw up our hands and toss it to Scotty is not right.  Do the search, if Scott is the right guy great just dont give into the mases

1 minute ago, Hingle McCringleberry said:

This is what I'm afraid of, the masses seem to want Frost we will do anything to make that happen.  I want us to make an actual concerted effort to find the best fit, I have my dreams (Dabo) and those I think would fit perfectly (Shaw) but to just throw up our hands and toss it to Scotty is not right.  Do the search, if Scott is the right guy great just dont give into the mases

Exactly, Karen Jennings or Ed Stewart can hire Frost and be a much better fit for DONU.

2 minutes ago, Hingle McCringleberry said:

Fit, the dude hired a coach who took over a team that won zero games, and is now leading offense in the nation, I think i trust this AD over the dude who hired, callahan, and the dude who hired SE.

• Plus1 2