OWH Barfknecht: Nebraska closing in on naming next athletic director

The Duke

I posted some gifs earlier in a fit of sarcasm, trying to channel how many on this board will feel.

But in reality, let's see how this works out.  As some one else has said, I have no insight and definitely no experience into what it takes to run a P5 athletic department.  Let's see who he hires and what early steps he takes.  Old can mean washed up and tired out, or old can mean experienced and not willing to put up with pu$$y footing around.

It is rather curious that Moos wasn't on anyone's "I have the inside scoop" list.  Greene and Bounds and recruiting firm kept a tight lid on things.

Edited by grandpasknee

4 minutes ago, California Husker said:

So, I'm not sure how this works. Does Moos have full authority over hiring and firing of coaches? Or, would it be reasonable to expect him to work with others within the administration on hiring? Just curious. 

Moos will have the ability to hire and fire coaches, but I'm sure he will review his decisions with Bounds and Green, to get their buy-in. So yes, he has the authority, but will go through proper channels with that authority. 

29 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

It's cool. He's only the first or second biggest booster in college sports. Don't need people like that monopolizing things, ya know? 

Yeah and he is a group of 1 - guessing you have never found a single person in your line of work that you didn't get along with.

9 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Yeah and he is a group of 1 - guessing you have never found a single person in your line of work that you didn't get along with.

Fair enough, but he's also the biggest person in his field. Likely hearsay, but saw on another board that Knight wouldn't build the new Oregon basketball arena until Moos was gone. But then again, didn't Moos bring Knight into the fold to begin with? I dunno. Underwhelming

1 hour ago, RedNebraskan said:

People being negative within minutes of the hire.  That's what's wrong with Nebraska right now.

I've had worse first minutes.

MRW Moos was announced: "Who?" *Googles* "Hmm, OK, could be a pretty decent hire."

MRW Riley was announced: "Who?" *Googles* "ARE YOU F'ING SH!TTING ME?!?!"

Edited by Toe
  • Plus1 1

1 hour ago, California Husker said:

So, I'm not sure how this works. Does Moos have full authority over hiring and firing of coaches? Or, would it be reasonable to expect him to work with others within the administration on hiring? Just curious. 

I think it'll be Long from Arkansas....everybody's talking about it.

1 hour ago, California Husker said:

Lone wolf baby. Flying solo on the 14 firings I need to accomplish in the next 3 weeks. 

• Plus1 2