Star Wars: Episode VIII ***Speculation & Spoilers***

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

But the idea being floated is that I would watch it predetermined to hate it.  That's silly talk.

I'm parsimonious.  I'm not spending a dime on a show I don't think I'll like. 

The concept may lost on you here, but a lot of people do indeed go into something expecting to not like it.

Wait, huh?

OK, I jumped in the middle here, so just to be super clear, I'm not trying to contribute to The People vs. knapplc, and I had no idea you were on trial. The charges seem frivolous.

All I wanted to say was, given your lukewarm response to what TFA was laying down, it seems unsurprising that TLJ/IX wouldn't change things for you unless they went in a really different direction. Which always seemed unlikely, because the crafting of this trilogy seems coherent. It's no different than a movie series or TV series where one entry/episode is disappointing but you'll be curious enough and hopeful to see if they've turned it around to your liking the next time. (I watched Mockingjay Part 1 and am just optimistic enough of a guy to have then given Part 2 a go. Foolish, in retrospect...) 

I, on the other hand, was extremely here for everything TFA ... but was nonetheless open to the possibility that they were going to ruin it with where they went in this one. I'm delighted that they didn't and also surprised by just how much they didn't. It's kind of the same view of the possibilities, really -- but in reverse.

5 minutes ago, Redux said:

The concept may lost on you here, but a lot of people do indeed go into something expecting to not like it.

Yeah.  I know.  This ain't my first rodeo.  :D

Several pages now I've told you guys I wanted to like this movie, it was just bad.  Like the good scifi fans you are, you've all come up with all these theories that explain why, all of which leave the movie itself faultless.  But it's not a flawless movie. Everyone admits that.  So why you guys have to come up with some whackadoo theory on why I didn't like the movie is beyond me. 

Those things in the movie that bothered you?  They bothered me, too.  They just bothered me more. 

3 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I'm not trying to contribute to The People vs. knapplc

You may have noticed in the ten+ years we've been tossing words at each other over the interwebz, but I'm pretty comfortable with my opinions.  I'm cool with people disagreeing with me.  I'll just keep yapping away like I always do.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You may have noticed in the ten+ years we've been tossing words at each other over the interwebz, but I'm pretty comfortable with my opinions.  I'm cool with people disagreeing with me.  I'll just keep yapping away like I always do.

I know. It just seems an odd thing to argue about.

I believe you wanted to like this movie. Why wouldn't anyone?

12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yeah.  I know.  This ain't my first rodeo.  :D

Several pages now I've told you guys I wanted to like this movie, it was just bad.  Like the good scifi fans you are, you've all come up with all these theories that explain why, all of which leave the movie itself faultless.  But it's not a flawless movie. Everyone admits that.  So why you guys have to come up with some whackadoo theory on why I didn't like the movie is beyond me. 

Those things in the movie that bothered you?  They bothered me, too.  They just bothered me more. 

It's not that you don't like it, I 100% expected you to not like it before and after I saw it.  I based that off of your gripes with TFA.  Even if you didn't go in expecting to hate it, I question whether or not you went in consciously fully giving it a chance regardless of your pre movie prep.

It's that you boldly claim it's just an outright bad movie, that not enough good things in your opinion redeem it.  I FULLY understand not being on board or even liking/loving it.  But claiming it's just flat out bad....I dunno, that's whackadoo.

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

TFA was nearly a shot for shot remake of ANH. 

No, it was not :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I fully expect Episode IX to be a little like ROTJ, but far more different in almost all respects. 

lol what???

33 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Like the good scifi fans you are, you've all come up with all these theories that explain why, all of which leave the movie itself faultless. 

what? No. Everyone championing the movie ITT has talked plenty about it's faults.

33 minutes ago, knapplc said:

But it's not a flawless movie. Everyone admits that.  So why you guys have to come up with some whackadoo theory on why I didn't like the movie is beyond me. 

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, it has nothing to do with a theory about why you didn't like the movie. It's entirely a, "Hey, totally understandable if you didn't like it, but it's a different and inappropriate thing to say that it's bad." Maybe that's just semantics, I don't know. For me, I differentiate all the time between things that I think are of poor quality (bad) or things that I just didn't enjoy or get. For me to say something is bad is different than for me to say that I didn't like it. Apologies if that's not what you're intending, that's just what it sounds like. 

I get passionate about it because film is my craft and my career. Corporate Disney overlords or not, hearing someone say that a product is just qualitatively poor -- something that is SO difficult to create, that involves so much creativity, so much dedication, so many man hours by people, so much heart and soul, and works within the context of what I understand actually makes for good filmmaking and story telling -- is just offensive to my ears :lol:

• Plus1 1

@Landlord, okay so maybe a shot for shot remake was hyperbolic on my part.  But come on, TFA was pretty much identical to ANH.  Sure some details were different, but there were more similarities than difference.

Regarding my thoughts on Episode IX, think of it as a line. That splits into a Y.  Imagine this line is infinitely long.  At first, as the lines separate they're still relatively close together, that's A New Hope and The Force Awakens.  Over time, the lines begin to get further apart.  That means The Last Jedi has similarities to Empire Strikes Back, but not nearly as many as ANH had to TFA.  By the time Episode 9 comes, those lines will be far enough apart to where it may somewhat resemble Return of the Jedi, (meaning the defeat of the First Order) how it gets there might be completely different and shown in a way that is basically a shell of how Jedi went.

I hope I explained that so it is perhaps more understandable.

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

I get passionate about it because film is my craft and my career. Corporate Disney overlords or not, hearing someone say that a product is just qualitatively poor -- something that is SO difficult to create, that involves so much creativity, so much dedication, so many man hours by people, so much heart and soul, and works within the context of what I understand actually makes for good filmmaking and story telling -- is just offensive to my ears

So you've never seen a bad movie, because they all take many hours by many people to make.  Disney has never made a bad movie, none of the big franchise movies can be bad, because it's your craft.

These sound a lot like someone who went to this flick with preconceived notions. 

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

So you've never seen a bad movie, because they all take many hours by many people to make.  Disney has never made a bad movie, none of the big franchise movies can be bad, because it's your craft.

These sound a lot like someone who went to this flick with preconceived notions. 

Ugh. You ignored the most important part of that qualifying sentence :/ 

Ignoring that you either intentionally or mistakenly misrepresented my point, it does take a lot for me to qualify a film as being bad, yes.

• Plus1 1

Mentioned it before in my review, but I'd like to point this out again. 

It feels to me like Lucasfilm lied about this movie in the marketing (generally whenever they've talked about the trilogy).  They've stated since they started this trilogy that the Episodic Movies are the Skywalker story and the side movies can be about anyone or anything.  I like Rey as a character, liked her since the beginning of TFA, but it feels like the story group is dropping the ball by making her a nobody.  I understand what Johnson was saying with even the littlest guy, the nobody of nobodies can make a difference in the galaxy.  But who is Finn to the greater galaxy?  Who is Poe?  Who is Rose?  Who is Holdo?  They are nobodies coming from nowhere and they are fighting for the future and hope.  I find Rey being the representative of the lightside part of the Skywalker bloodline, a bloodline that is descendant of the force, more interesting the Rey being a nobody from nowhere.  So on one side you have Kylo choosing to be dark even though he was brought up in the best of conditions (though I'm not 100% certain of the home life with Leia and Han besides Leia sending him off to Luke to be trained).  On the other you have Rey choosing the light even though she grew up in a terrible place, with every reason to lose hope.  Heck in the Clone Wars TV show there was a series of episodes about how the force represented itself.  There was the father who was balanced, a son who was the darkside, and the daughter who was the lightside.  I would find it way cooler to have that conflict if Kylo and Rey were related.

This is my biggest issue with this movie, and now I guess the trilogy if IX continues with this.  You have the entire resistance/rebellion to show how nobodies can change the galaxy.  Leave the balancing the force stuff to the Skywalkers.

9 hours ago, knapplc said:

That's super weird.  I don't know why you'd spend two seconds thinking about how I, or anyone else, would like this movie.  

That is definitely a you problem. 

It's not really a problem at all.  When posting in here before and after the movie, I expexted you to not like it after having seen it.  Likewise, the posters I remembered liking TFA I expected to have liked it.

I guess now I'm more interested in why you have spent so much time in a thread about a movie you think is terrible.