Star Wars: Episode VIII ***Speculation & Spoilers***

The Last Jedi Killed My Childhood, and That's Exactly Why It's Great

Interesting perspective.

The Last Jedi was made with other fans in mind—especially the new ones. This isn’t only a good thing, it’s the right thing. If you grew up with the prequels, or your first Star Wars experience was The Force Awakens or TLJ, you almost certainly wouldn’t have latched onto the original trilogy heroes in the way that my generation did. How could you? Why would you? If you were born in 2007, why would you be any more sad about Luke dying than we were when Obi-Wan sacrificed himself in A New Hope? Rey, Finn, and Poe are the heroes now. And whenever Episode X rolls around, maybe in 2021 or so, another new generation of heroes will emerge, for a new generation of kids to be inspired by.

The Last Jedi is a good Star Wars movie. It just wasn’t made for me, or the legion of other fans my age. After 40 years of having Star Wars basically tailor-made for us, it was well past time.

But Luke Skywalker is still dead. And with him, part of my childhood died, too. I mourn them both.

• Plus1 4

11 hours ago, Redux said:

Maybe if they would have made the cavalier bad boy pilot a total wuss, (How did they make Han a total wuss?) killed the interesting shiny armor character via fart joke, (Boba Fett was far from interesting if you really think about it) dressed the strong female character up in a space bikini (who also killed the evil Space Gangster by choking him to death) and had the evil army defeated by teddy bears (Ewoks > Porgs > Gungans).  That would have made it pretty bad.

And yet, it's still better than The Last Jedi. 

You can go back and find several reviews of A New Hope that criticize some of the same things being criticized about The Last Jedi. 'Poor story lacking any real meaning,' 'plot holes,' 'the only redeemable quality is the special effects.'

I won't begrudge anyone who dislikes The Last Jedi and has concerns about the story. I share many of those concerns and find some of them disappointing. But, A New Hope was not markedly better in this regard. In fact, I maintain to this day that it is not an overly good 'movie' and I even adore the original trilogy.

I'm just not sure I understand some of the criticisms here. These have been pervasive problems in MOST of the movies.

• Plus1 2

And that's a fair criticism, one I would be inclined to agree with. However, it feels like some people are putting aspects of the original trilogy on an unfair pedestal. They carry a substantial number of flaws. So long as this is fact is rationalized through the scope of this debate then I don't have much of a problem with people criticizing TLJ.

• Plus1 1

It does if people are trying to compare the original trilogy to TLJ when criticizing the film, which has been done in this thread. It seems like there's a fair amount of inconsistent cherry picking going on (not just in this thread, but on the internet in general) in terms of what is or isn't relevant when criticizing TLJ

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Whether the original trilogy is flawed or not (it is) doesn't really matter when judging this movie, though. 

It matters when someone says they're only judging this movie simply as a movie, but then also says that they've lost you because of it being bad. The previous movies sans one weren't really good either, so either the person saying that was being "blinded by the name Star Wars", and is no longer, or they shouldn't have 'had' you in the first place. 

I guess some people eventually expect more excellence of craft from Star Wars screenplays and end up disappointed that it's the same as it's always been. Don't blame those of us who don't :lol: 

Edited by Landlord
  • Plus1 1