Star Wars: Episode VIII ***Speculation & Spoilers***

9 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

@Red Five, I believe it when Ren told Rey her parents sold her for drinking money.  Why?  Because of Rey's reaction to the question.  Her reaction was more of a, "Damn, he's right" than a "No, you're wrong!"  It was Daisey Ridley's very subtle facial reaction that sold me on what Ren said being true.  Now I admit it could be a lie, but at this point I don't think Ren has anything to gain by fabricating that story.  

Lying to her about the truth of her heritage may have been a calculated attempt to convince her to join his cause.

But, if she is in fact just a rando baby with force powers, I have no problem with that.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Lying to her about the truth of her heritage may have been a calculated attempt to convince her to join his cause.

But, if she is in fact just a rando force baby, I have no problem with that.

She doesn't need to be a rando force baby either. She could be a rando human baby with human parents. The Last Jedi's undergirding message is that the Force isn't exclusive but is inclusive to and connected to all living things (supported by Chirrut Îmwe in Rogue One). It's a scathing rebuke, through the mouth of Luke, of how the Jedi lost their way in their high towers, worshiping their pseudoscience of midichlorians, keeping an authoritarian grip on who is and isn't allowed to interact with and learn the ways of the Force, and allowing fascism to destroy the Republic.

7 hours ago, Landlord said:

She doesn't need to be a rando force baby either. She could be a rando human baby with human parents. The Last Jedi's undergirding message is that the Force isn't exclusive but is inclusive to and connected to all living things (supported by Chirrut Îmwe in Rogue One). It's a scathing rebuke, through the mouth of Luke, of how the Jedi lost their way in their high towers, worshiping their pseudoscience of midichlorians, keeping an authoritarian grip on who is and isn't allowed to interact with and learn the ways of the Force, and allowing fascism to destroy the Republic.

My bad - meant to say she was a rando baby with force powers. Not rando force baby.

*SPOILERS*

Spoiler

BTW, I don't think Snoke is dead. I seriously doubt J.J. Abrams will let his creation die like that. 

Plus, we have precedence in characters getting cut in half by a light saber still making things work--Darth Maul came back in the Disney show (which is considered canon IIRC) and Ray Park has supposedly been asked about potentially doing work on the Obi Wan stand-alone movie. Wouldn't shock me if we find J.J. bringing Snoke back and being introduced as a Sith lord of ultimate power. 

Edited by VectorVictor
39 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

*SPOILERS*

Hide contents

BTW, I don't think Snoke is dead. I seriously doubt J.J. Abrams will let his creation die like that. 

Plus, we have precedence in characters getting cut in half by a light saber still making things work--Darth Maul came back in the Disney show (which is considered canon IIRC) and Ray Park has supposedly been asked about potentially doing work on the Obi Wan stand-alone movie. Wouldn't shock me if we find J.J. bringing Snoke back and being introduced as a Sith lord of ultimate power. 

11 minutes ago, Enhance said:

@VectorVictor, you don't have to worry about spoiler tags in here since it's in the thread title. :thumbs

To your point, I hope Snoke remains dead. I think there's a lot to be gained from the way they handled his death and the assimilation of power by Kylo. Plus, it enables the continued power struggle between General Hux and Kylo.

If the Jedi can become Force Ghosts, why can't the Sith? 

4 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

If the Jedi can become Force Ghosts, why can't the Sith? 

I read up on this once and I believe they can. Apparently, though, some Sith lords were driven mad by their ability to persist in death because they were unable to impact the world around them as they once had been able to. A Jedi Force ghost was a much more peaceful decision done with relatively pure intent, while a Sith becoming a Force ghost was done out of fear of death and the inability to embrace one's inexistence.

Power does not always correlate to physical strength/abilities. It's clear Hux only served Kylo out of fear of losing his life. Who's to say Hux would ever be loyal to Kylo in a moment of need? Keep in mind that Kylo was only rescued from the imploding Starkiller Base by Snoke's command.

The reason people are hating on this movie and the last one is because we were all people who once played with Star Wars figures creating new ideas and storylines in our imagination.  The people making these new movies are the same, except they actually get to bring those action figure imagintation concepts to life.

Let's be honest, it didn't matter how 7, 8 and 9 played out did it?  Unless we got them back in the early to mid 90's with; Luke battling a Palpatine clone and or Thrawn, Leia in another space bikini, and Han Solo and Chewbacca fighting a very much alive Boba Fett, the masses were never going to accept it.  Instead it took several more years and we got to see George Lucas go into overly excited mode and make the prequels.  They tanked, even though III is a fantastic film.  Almost a decade later we finally get our favorite characters back almost 30 years after ROTJ and people are surprised that new owners Disney want to take it in a new direction, that these characters who are now 40 years older than they were in A New Hope are dying.  Really?

Blame JJ, Rian and Disney all you want.  The real person at fault for these being not what you wanted or expected is George Lucas being too damned stubborn back in 1992 to suck it up and make 7, 8 and 9 back then.  Guess what, they would have been just as hokey as the Ewoks in 6, Jar Jar in 1 and the love crap in 2.   But, we could all pretend they were masterpieces with no flaws because 1) Lucas made them 2) within a reasonable window of the conclusion of Return of the Jedi.

Edited by Redux
  • Plus1 3
20 minutes ago, Redux said:

The reason people are hating on this movie and the last one is because we were all people who once played with Star Wars figures creating new ideas and storylines in our imagination.  The people making these new movies are the same, except they actually get to bring those action figure imagintation concepts to life.

Let's be honest, it didn't matter how 7, 8 and 9 played out did it?  Unless we got them back in the early to mid 90's with; Luke battling a Palpatine clone and or Thrawn, Leia in another space bikini, and Han Solo and Chewbacca fighting a very much alive Boba Fett, the masses were never going to accept it.  Instead it took several more years and we got to see George Lucas go into overly excited mode and make the prequels.  They tanked, even though III is a fantastic film.  Almost a decade later we finally get our favorite characters back almost 30 years after ROTJ and people are surprised that new owners Disney want to take it in a new direction, that these characters who are now 40 years older than they were in A New Hope are dying.  Really?

Blame JJ, Rian and Disney all you want.  The real person at fault for these being not what you wanted or expected is George Lucas being too damned stubborn back in 1992 to suck it up and make 7, 8 and 9 back then.  Guess what, they would have been just as hokey as the Ewoks in 6, Jar Jar in 1 and the love crap in 2.   But, we could all pretend they were masterpieces with no flaws because 1) Lucas made them 2) within a reasonable window of the conclusion of Return of the Jedi.

Maybe. But the further away from Last Jedi I get, the more unfavorable it comes off. 

Edited by Cdog923
23 minutes ago, Redux said:

This and so much more.  There are literally hundreds of this and that theories and critiques on youtube about the Star Wars movies.  Just as there are about Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings stuff.  Everyone has a different way they want these stories to go and I think in a lot of peoples mind TLJ want off in a different direction than most expected.  

23 minutes ago, Redux said:

The reason people are hating on this movie and the last one is...

The reason people hate on these movies is they're bad movies.  The stories are poor, the plots are full of holes... they're just not good.  Slick CGI and cameos by their old action figure characters are enough to gloss over these facts for some people, but others just expect to see a good film for the price of admission. 

Star Wars was groundbreaking.  Empire was legitimately a good film.  Jedi was a decent end to a good trilogy. 

Nobody remembers these as fine cinema, they were rollicking good popcorn flicks.  The new movies are crass money-makers, period.  ROTJ had become that by the end of the original series but it was still a compelling story.  Two hours of space tailgating is not. 

• Plus1 3