Star Wars: Episode VIII ***Speculation & Spoilers***

I did like the TLJ, I liked TFA too.  I do agree that the Disneyfying of the product has been a disappointment.  It is too bad they can't find a bunch of Star Wars geeks (I mean this in the best way) to bring in and help them write the plots or at least the direction.  The farther I get from seeing TLJ the more disappointed I get.

Rogue One is by far the best movie of the three Disney has done.  Not Even Close!

• Plus1 2

Just now, Crusader Husker said:

Rogue One is by far the best movie of the three Disney has done.  Not Even Close!

Agreed. And I'm hoping that the main arc stories are kept really vanilla while they get edgier (better) in the side stories, like Rogue One, or the upcoming Han Solo series.  We'll see.

Just my two cents:

I think TFA and TLJ are disappointing in their rehashing of familiar elements. TFA was blatant. TLJ was less blatant but still obvious in many ways.

But, A New Hope is not an overly good movie. Neither is Return of the Jedi. Most of episodes 1-3 are average to below average "movies."

Personally, I also think we can recognize which movies are better while preferring to actually watch other ones. Case in point, The Phantom Menace is probably the worst 'movie' in the Star Wars universe but I have more fun watching that one then I do Attack of the Clones.

Ultimately, Star Wars is about having fun to me and I walked out of the theater having had a lot of fun. But, as a movie, it certainly left a ton to be desired.

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Rogue One gets points for creativity but suffers from abject plot holes, a jumpy start and an overly-serious tone.

TFA and TLJ don't get a lot of creativity points but are fun. So (obviously) it definitely comes down to your taste and what you value in a Star Wars movie.

I haven't really reviewed the movie yet. I don't have a problem with most of the nitpicky things people are mentioning. E.g. I have no idea why people built Phasma up in their heads so much.

Anyhow, not gonna give a full review. I liked the movie and will probably watch it again.

But the throne room scene was terrible aside from the aesthetics. The acting was fine too but there was no need to rehash so many lines and so many parts of the Sidious scenes. The cringeworthiness was capped off with Snoke showing that video to Rey.

Edited by Moiraine

I still had a good time last night seeing it but things like Luke being able to project himself onto planet Crait buying the Resistance time to escape or the fact that Kylo Ren and Ray could somehow talk to each other even though they were on different sides of the galaxy left me a little perplexed.  I'd see it again though.  

The 24 Biggest Questions We Have After Seeing Star Wars: The Last Jedi

How did Leia survive in space?

At one point in The Last Jedi, Leia and many of her fellow Resistance leaders are blown into the vacuum of space, but, after floating briefly she sails back onto the ship. This almost certainly has to be Leia using the Force to pull herself back onboard, but does the Force also explain how she survived the beyond-freezing temperatures and airlessness of space? We have to assume so, given that the Force does many new things in The Last Jedi that we haven’t seen in the other movies.

• Plus1 1

I just can't understand why people care about Leia surviving in space. It's a sci fi movie. Why can the force-sensitive make things float?

Leia survived because she had latent force powers and was the daughter of the Chosen One. It's really not that hard to imagine that's why she can survive what others can't.

I kinda love that she used the force and no one saw it. But it sucks we didn't/don't get to see anything of how she feels about it. When she woke up the s#!t had hit the fan. Would've been funny if they added another one liner in her meeting with Luke about it.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I just can't understand why people care about Leia surviving in space. It's a sci fi movie. Why can the force-sensitive make things float?

Leia survived because she had latent force powers and was the daughter of the Chosen One. It's really not that hard to imagine that's why she can survive what others can't.

I kinda love that she used the force and no one saw it. But it sucks we didn't/don't get to see anything of how she feels about it. When she woke up the s#!t had hit the fan. Would've been funny if they added another one liner in her meeting with Luke about it.

I guess for me it's that the fact that it happens didn't really matter or effect the story in any way, and I've seen way too many set-in-space "person gets blown into the vaccuum of space where they should die only to not-surprisingly not die" scenarios played out in film and none of them have felt worthwhile?

8 minutes ago, QMany said:

Leia surviving in space and force floating didn't  bother me. I just think (1) it would have been a better ending for Leia, knowing Carrie Fisher is gone, to go out that way; and (2) that was a pretty weak way to introduce Leia's force powers.

Luke and Leia's meeting made the movie for me, so I'm thankful they didn't do it that way.

Question I thought of.

When Anakin went bad his eyes turned yellow. In KOTOR the dark side characters have yellow eyes. When Sidious came out into the open his eyes turned yellow. But Sidious was evil before his eyes turned yellow. Does that mean dark siders have power over the color of their eyes? We also have Dooku whose were not yellow. Darth Maul's were yellow.

The reason I'm asking is Snoke's eyes are blue and Kylo's are black.

It just seems weird that Anakin's just turned yellow voluntarily. Maybe because his turning wasn't planned, he never learned how to control it. And once Sidious was out in the open he didn't give a crap anymore.

Edited by Moiraine
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Question I thought of.

When Anakin went bad his eyes turned yellow. In KOTOR the dark side characters have yellow eyes. When Sidious came out into the open his eyes turned yellow. But Sidious was evil before his eyes turned yellow. Does that mean dark siders have power over the color of their eyes? We also have Dooku whose were not yellow. Darth Maul's were yellow.

The reason I'm asking is Snoke's eyes are blue and Kylo's are black.

It just seems weird that Anakin's just turned yellow voluntarily. Maybe because his turning wasn't planned, he never learned how to control it. And once Sidious was out in the open he didn't give a crap anymore.

idk if this is considered canon anymore but my understanding is that the yellow eyes happen momentarily (not a permanent thing, or even a very prolonged thing) when people are closest to or most immersed in the dark side's power.

Evidence being that Anakin's eyes aren't yellow before killing the younglings in the temple, are yellow after killing all the separatists, and aren't yellow when Padme arrives on Mustafar, and are again in his rage after Obi-Wan defeats him.

Sidious might have not been diving into the dark side of the Force until his real emergence in Ep III. Dooku was Sith, but was a former jedi trained by Yoda, and was probably closer to being a grey jedi trying to do what he thought was right than a typical 'evil' Sith. 

Also, I have no idea.

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, Landlord said:

idk if this is considered canon anymore but my understanding is that the yellow eyes happen momentarily (not a permanent thing, or even a very prolonged thing) when people are closest to or most immersed in the dark side's power.

Evidence being that Anakin's eyes aren't yellow before killing the younglings in the temple, are yellow after killing all the separatists, and aren't yellow when Padme arrives on Mustafar, and are again in his rage after Obi-Wan defeats him.

Sidious might have not been diving into the dark side of the Force until his real emergence in Ep III. Dooku was Sith, but was a former jedi trained by Yoda, and was probably closer to being a grey jedi trying to do what he thought was right than a typical 'evil' Sith. 

Also, I have no idea.

I buy it.

@Red Five, I believe it when Ren told Rey her parents sold her for drinking money.  Why?  Because of Rey's reaction to the question.  Her reaction was more of a, "Damn, he's right" than a "No, you're wrong!"  It was Daisey Ridley's very subtle facial reaction that sold me on what Ren said being true.  Now I admit it could be a lie, but at this point I don't think Ren has anything to gain by fabricating that story.