Star Wars: Episode VIII ***Speculation & Spoilers***

33 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Do we believe the Rey's backstory that Ren said?  She was just sold for booze money?  Or do we still think she might be someone's daughter?

I totally missed the kid force move the broom at the end.  I did think that was a weird way to end the movie.

What are they going to do with Leia in IX?

TLJ picked up real quickly from the end of TFA.  How did the 1st O regroup so quick after Starkiller was destroyed?

Will we see the "Outer Rim Rebels" that the Resistance talked about in IX?

1) I don't believe Kylo's version of Rey's backstory but I would've been really disappointed if they had divulged it. After the mirror scene with Rey, I started operating under the assumption that she may be a Force-born baby like Anakin. She does have remarkable powers for someone seemingly untied to the Skywalkers. Plus, Kylo easily could've been lying in order to convince Rey to join him.

2) The force move is subtle. I almost didn't catch it.

3) Leia was supposed to have a critical role in IX, so I have no idea what their plan is. CGI (like in Rogue One) feels wrong/weird in this situation.

4) I think it goes to show TFO's vast resource pool. An entity capable of amassing the wealth/resources to turn an entire planet into a gun probably have the resources to create a gigantic military force.

5) I think we will. Perhaps a 'gearing up to finally take down TFO' type of a story line. The Battlefront 2 DLC just touched on this. I'm going to put up spoiler tags since this thread isn't about the video game:

Spoiler

The 'Resurrection' DLC in Battlefront 2 takes place in the time surrounding the destruction of Starkiller Base. At the end of the DLC, General Organa orders you on a special mission to the Outer Rim and then credits role.

I do NOT believe Kylo's story about Rey's past.  I think they're twins, like Luke & Leia.  It would explain why Snoke was able to manipulate the connection between the two of them - it's preexisting, and very strong.  Luke & Leia have a similar connection, but not nearly as strong. 

It's in Kylo's best interest to manipulate Rey so she turns to the Dark Side.  The lie of her origin is just another manipulation. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I do NOT believe Kylo's story about Rey's past.  I think they're twins, like Luke & Leia.  It would explain why Snoke was able to manipulate the connection between the two of them - it's preexisting, and very strong.  Luke & Leia have a similar connection, but not nearly as strong. 

It's in Kylo's best interest to manipulate Rey so she turns to the Dark Side.  The lie of her origin is just another manipulation. 

You're up there ranting about how these movies borrow too much from the originals, then you suggest they should borrow the biggest piece of the original trilogies ie. force sensitive twins.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 4
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

How many bad meals do you have to have at a restaurant before you stop paying for dinner there?  And when you get a bad meal, do you blame yourself for going to that restaurant?  This is such a weird response. 

People are blinded by the name Star Wars.  Don't blame those of us who aren't. 

The real question is more why are you expecting a restaurant that's pretty much always made bad meals to suddenly stop doing so? People, including yourself, have loved Star Wars because it's Star Wars, since the first Star Wars. imo Star Wars hasn't really changed, but your expectations and tastes have. So you say that they've lost you, but it seems more like you've lost interest in that sort of thing. 

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Could be true, but Rey not being a "chosen one" type of character fits into the ideas Johnson was trying to inject into this story, and it wasn't like Kylo told her that and she responded with, "What!? You're lying!" He actually kept telling her to say it because she knew it all along before he said anything. Plus, if they do yet another 180, the fans are going to lose their s#!t :lol: I'd put it at a 75/25 chance that Rey's parents are nobody special - if they were twins, how would Han & Leia either not know about Rey or have such a straight poker face around her to not reveal that HEY GUESS WHAT YOU'RE OUR DAUGHTER! I'm not sure what the motivation would be keeping that from them, unless she's like a Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix level of dangerous or something - Luke would also know that as well. 

Also, it's not even established that Kylo has any interest in her joining the Dark Side as much as just joining him in ruling the galaxy. We're still not really sure what his motivations are - why did he kill Snoke? Connection/affection for Rey? Thirst for power and conquest? Altruistic belief in making a better galaxy? Who knows?

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Just listened to this dudes opinion.  He is basically mad because he was wrong about what was going to happen in the movie and didn't like that.

Yeah I would agree.  I'm more into his point that the internet has made it impossible for many to enjoy these movies, how expectations are either predetermined subconsciously or end up being built so high that nothing will appease them.

12 minutes ago, Landlord said:

The real question is more why are you expecting a restaurant that's pretty much always made bad meals to suddenly stop doing so? People, including yourself, have loved Star Wars because it's Star Wars, since the first Star Wars. imo Star Wars hasn't really changed, but your expectations and tastes have. So you say that they've lost you, but it seems more like you've lost interest in that sort of thing. 

I bought my tickets for this movie a month ago. I have a room full of Star Wars memorabilia.I haven't lost interest in anything. 

What I don't have is an appreciation of a media company that owns a massive chunk of Hollywood cashing in on my fandom by making a very bad movie simply because they can. 

I liked Rogue One because it was a good movie.  TFA and TLJ are not good movies.  I am analyzing a movie, nothing more.  Please do the same and stop attempting to diagnose the level of my fandom.  You don't know me and this isn't the place to make a personal assumption about me because I like or don't like a movie.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Redux said:

Yeah I would agree.  I'm more into his point that the internet has made it impossible for many to enjoy these movies, how expectations are either predetermined subconsciously or end up being built so high that nothing will appease them.

Yes, I agree, I like the movies haves seen them all of them starting with A New Hope in 1977 when I was 11.   I don't watch Clone Wars or Rebels, I have never read a book or comic about the saga.   I have never played any of the video games.  So I am not terribly invested other than watching the shows.  The Last Jedi I give it 8 out of 10.  It was a bit too long and some parts weren't the best, but over all very enjoyable.  I will watch it again.  

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I bought my tickets for this movie a month ago. I have a room full of Star Wars memorabilia.I haven't lost interest in anything. 

What I don't have is an appreciation of a media company that owns a massive chunk of Hollywood cashing in on my fandom by making a very bad movie simply because they can. 

I liked Rogue One because it was a good movie.  TFA and TLJ are not good movies.  I am analyzing a movie, nothing more.  Please do the same and stop attempting to diagnose the level of my fandom.  You don't know me and this isn't the place to make a personal assumption about me because I like or don't like a movie.

It is fine for you not to like the movie, but you are telling me/us it is a bad movie because it didn't meet your expectations.  I liked it sorry.  

• Plus1 1

The difference is I'm not making personal statements about you because you liked the movie.  You don't have to apologize for liking it and I'm not going to apologize for not liking it. But you're going to have to make room in your worldview for people who both like & don't like the movie, or you're going to have to start another thread where people can only say good things about it if you're going to make personal attacks on people who didn't like it.