Huskers Look to Revive Running Game

3 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Well, not sure i agree about lack of horses, considering that over 60 guys were on both the winless and the undefeated teams.  

2017 UCF Statistical Leaders:

Rushing - Soph, Soph, Freshman

Passing - Soph, Freshman

Receiving - Junior, Soph, Senior, Freshman, Freshman

Tackles - Junior, Senior, Senior, Junior, Junior, Junior

Sacks - Senior, Senior

Interceptions - Junior, Junior, Junior

So there is definitely a difference between offense and defense.  But at least on the offensive side, it's pretty legit to say that Frost's staff recruited and developed a lot of the horses.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

But how do you think the Husker running game will fair in 2018?

Specifically for 2018? Tough to say. Defenses almost always improve much faster than offenses in a coaching change because you can make big gains by solving little problems. There are a lot more moving parts to coordinate on an offense. However, most incoming staffs aren't "ready made" like this one.

I see it as a matter of three things:

How much can the offensive line improve? There was an insane percentage of plays where a RB's first contact was at or behind the LOS. Far, far too many plays where the play had very little chance to succeed. 

Solution: The previous offense was composed of a lot of slow, disjointed plays, often run into disadvantageous numbers. Everything the new offense isn't. Even if Nebraska struggles to find the correct personnel along the line, one has to think having a more structured, faster offense has to show serious gains here.

Where are the long runs coming from?  There's less doubt at some point Frost will find a way to generate these sorts of plays, but is it from the starting RB position in 2018? Let's be honest, this is not an area Wilbon and Ozigbo have ever shown much promise at.

Solution: See the incoming recruiting class. Big hitters incoming, but how soon can they contribute?

How quickly can a QB be developed, and who's the starting center? How quickly you install an offense comes down to how quickly you can develop a QB to execute it. Since he has to know everything, he's the "knowledge governor" for the entire offense. This isn't an overly complicated system, but there are a lot of little details added on....details that really can aid in getting advantages in the running game. The better the QB and center can be at making the myriad of reads and calls this offense requires, the better the running game is likely to be.

Solution: The good news is the starting QB is very likely already on campus, and is in really good hands with Mario and this offensive staff. The bad news is, whomever wins the job will be young and inexperienced, with only one (ineligible) player on the current roster to help guide them.

In the long term, I feel very confident in this run game at this level. For 2018, more questions than answers at this early juncture. It would really, really help to have somebody in the backfield, new or current, to become a legitimate threat from anywhere on the field early in the season. 

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, brophog said:

Specifically for 2018? Tough to say. Defenses almost always improve much faster than offenses in a coaching change because you can make big gains by solving little problems. There are a lot more moving parts to coordinate on an offense. However, most incoming staffs aren't "ready made" like this one.

I see it as a matter of three things:

How much can the offensive line improve? There was an insane percentage of plays where a RB's first contact was at or behind the LOS. Far, far too many plays where the play had very little chance to succeed. 

Solution: The previous offense was composed of a lot of slow, disjointed plays, often run into disadvantageous numbers. Everything the new offense isn't. Even if Nebraska struggles to find the correct personnel along the line, one has to think having a more structured, faster offense has to show serious gains here.

Where are the long runs coming from?  There's less doubt at some point Frost will find a way to generate these sorts of plays, but is it from the starting RB position in 2018? Let's be honest, this is not an area Wilbon and Ozigbo have ever shown much promise at.

Solution: See the incoming recruiting class. Big hitters incoming, but how soon can they contribute?

How quickly can a QB be developed, and who's the starting center? How quickly you install an offense comes down to how quickly you can develop a QB to execute it. Since he has to know everything, he's the "knowledge governor" for the entire offense. This isn't an overly complicated system, but there are a lot of little details added on....details that really can aid in getting advantages in the running game. The better the QB and center can be at making the myriad of reads and calls this offense requires, the better the running game is likely to be.

Solution: The good news is the starting QB is very likely already on campus, and is in really good hands with Mario and this offensive staff. The bad news is, whomever wins the job will be young and inexperienced, with only one (ineligible) player on the current roster to help guide them.

In the long term, I feel very confident in this run game at this level. For 2018, more questions than answers at this early juncture. It would really, really help to have somebody in the backfield, new or current, to become a legitimate threat from anywhere on the field early in the season. 

I think the QB development is the key to the rest.  Yes, other positions need to develop too.  But, everything feeds off of how the QB plays and is able to make the right reads.  If someone comes through and is really good at that, both the line and the RBs will look greatly improved.  AND, I think you will start seeing those long runs people don't think our current stable of backs can do.

Where are the long runs going to come from?  From the system.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Where are the long runs going to come from?  From the system.

Do you know why every major modern defensive system is a 3 tiered system (DL/LB/S)? Because people figured out a long time ago that offensive lineman only get so far down the field. A Safety sitting 10-15 yards deep may not be in position to help on the shorter runs, but he's going to drastically reduce the catastrophic failures that plagued the older 1 tier, and then 2 tier defensive systems.

Any system can be very good at generating consistent 5-7, maybe 10 yard runs if they're really good. But to get more consistent 20+ runs, at some point your ball carrier has to beat that Safety. We aren't spending so much of our recruiting effort on speed because we can just scheme our way out of the problem. 

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, brophog said:

Do you know why every major modern defensive system is a 3 tiered system (DL/LB/S)? Because people figured out a long time ago that offensive lineman only get so far down the field. A Safety sitting 10-15 yards deep may not be in position to help on the shorter runs, but he's going to drastically reduce the catastrophic failures that plagued the older 1 tier, and then 2 tier defensive systems.

Any system can be very good at generating consistent 5-7, maybe 10 yard runs if they're really good. But to get more consistent 20+ runs, at some point your ball carrier has to beat that Safety. We aren't spending so much of our recruiting effort on speed because we can just scheme our way out of the problem. 

I never said speed wouldn't help.  I have a general attitude towards production next year on the team.  Better S&C, Better player development, better coaching, better play calling, more of a winning attitude amongst players...etc....all of that is what I consider the "system".  I believe we will wonder where the "talent" we are seeing on the field was the last couple years.

So, I believe we will see in increase in those 20+ yard runs starting this year.  Because the "system" has players better prepared, more confident, stronger, faster...and better coached in an offense with better play calling.

It's not uncommon for those safeties you talk about are out of position because of the play calling....or get blocked by a WR or TE.

8 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

Was flipping back and forth last year when UCF and the fighting Rileys were playing concurrently.  It was like switching from varsity to pop warner in terms of complexity.  This offense is legit.

I usually had the UCF game going on my iPad while the Huskers were on the gigantic 4KHD tv.  I wont lie - my eyes were mostly on the apple device during the roughest stretches.